Beatles German Pressings - Need Help!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tommyboy, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Yes, stick with the Apple 072 vinyl from the '80's. The additional benefit is that they are usually in better shape than previous versions as playback equipment was so much kinder on the grooves by then. This earlier Revolver didn't rate too well for sound quality.

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't have the first two, but the Magical Mystery Tour LP with A-1 and B3 matrices is a nice sounding LP. I don't think it's very scarce.

3. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

4. Tommyboy

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Am I correct in thinking that a 072-04 097 pressing of the German Apple Revolver is from 1977? Is this considered a good pressing?

Shak Cohen likes this.
  6. karmicg

karmicg Forum Resident

Thank you. I have now gone back and read all the old threads, although it's still not exactly clear why it's supposed to be better, but everyone seems to agree the -2 is the definitive version. I've been listening to my -1 and it sounds amazing to my ears, but I'll have to get my hands on a -2 and A/B them I guess!

7. Tommyboy

Yes. The matrix numbers on the "good" pressing are: 04097-A-2 & 04097-B-2. This pressing has more bass presence than any other Revolver pressing that I own. I would still tend to favor any UK reissue over this pressing.

8. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I picked up a number of German Beatles lp's this week, so far I've only played Abbey Road. It came with a black inner sleeve and believe it to be very early I have to say that I think it the best sounding copy in my collection.

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

"With The Beatles".
    Was listening to a 1C 072-04 181 and it sounds like it came from a third generation master( or even'cassette) phasey sound, but rocked. Audiophilia ' wise only ...'Till There Was You' cuts it. Last track, side two ' Money ' sounds very 'Punk Rock. Gives "Never Mind The Bollocks" a bit of competition.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    john lennonist likes this.
  10. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I just ordered some albums I didn't have! (or, I did but they were in bad condition)

- Sgt. Pepper's LHCB -
    1977 German Apple - 1C 072-04 177
    (to replace my South African mono 1st pressing, it doesn't sound very good even just a pop/click standpoint, a heavy ceramic bookend tipped over on this by accident, and still no skips so I'm starting to think these older Parlophone records are indestructible...)
    SHZE-401-A-1 04177-A-1
    SHZE 401-B-2 04177-B-2

I've heard good things about these pressings, and I'm very happy with my German Apple White Album and my Pathe Marconi German Apple MMT from the same year (1977) so I'm starting to think pretty much any German Beatles' records from around the mid-late 70s are a consistent quality.

- Rubber Soul -
    1977 German Blue Odeon - 1C 072-04 115
    Didn't have this essential yet, probably one of my favorite Beatles' albums. Also I've heard there's a brief drop-out of the vocals on Norwegian Wood, so pretty interesting.
    04 115 A-3 XX
    04 115 B-2 XX

And so I've heard this is where German pressings get hit and miss, the early Blue Odeon pressings sound bad while the late 60-70s pressings generally sound good to some of the best you can get.

Also I already have Revolver in mono, but I think I've decided I like stereo more for most of the albums so what are the best pressings of that album to get in stereo? I've heard that the German Apple is one, if not the best but I'd like to hear a sample if anyone has one.

webmatador likes this.
  11. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Anyone have any commentary around the German Hard Day's Night? There's one at the local shop but it looks like a repress. I'm wondering what to look for and if it's worth it compared to the recent (or even older UK) vinyl?

12. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Nad 214 had something to say in posts #56 & 64 back a page or two.

His message summarized: Mono - yes; Stereo - no

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  13. webmatador

webmatador Friend Of The People

The German Apple Revolver 072-04 097 is indeed the greatest, most dynamic version of the album I have ever heard. I did a shootout today against a UK -1 original tube cut, a UK -2 late 70s, and a German Horzu -1 original. The German Apple was beyond my wildest expectations. At times it sounded like a different mix (though it is undoubtedly not), and had all the hallmarks of the lowest generation master. The damned thing just soared out of my speakers.

Both UK pressings had plenty to recommend them as well. The Horzu was a little lacking in comparison to those.

Sorry, no samples here.

14. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

How's this one sound?

[​IMG]

15. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

If your asking about the Blue label one I would avoid it. I've never heard the later 072 green label but from the pics I've seen of the record I have a feeling it's the same stampers as the blue label one.

john lennonist and AppleCorp3 like this.
  16. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Anyone?

17. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

No. Still has the extra reverb.
    On the other hand it has a unique mix of I Want To Hold Your Hand distinguished by overly loud handclaps.

18. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I own the Odeon German single, but have nothing to compare it against, other than the 2009 CDs.

[​IMG]

Kim Olesen likes this.
  19. Kim Olesen

Is it the original pressing?

20. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Going to bump this on a number of threads, but I've got one of these German Apple copies of Revolver on the way (1976 German Apple 072, 04097-A-2 and SHZE 186 A-X2, 04097-B-2 and SHZE 186 B-2). Is it a fair statement that most folks here feel that this pressing is better sounding that the SHZE 186 A-1 / B-1 versions that began with the Odeon 1960s pressings and continued into the early 062 version? Thank you!

21. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Going to bump this on a number of threads, but I've got one of these on the way (1976 German Apple 072, 04097-A-2 and SHZE 186 A-X2, 04097-B-2 and SHZE 186 B-2). Is it still a fair statement that most folks here feel that this pressing is better sounding that the SHZE 186 A-1 / B-1 versions that began with the Odeon 1960s pressings and continued into the early 062 version? Thank you!

22. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

We are all still following this thread, so why don't you tell us when it arrives? Play your previous "bests" while you're waiting for the Postman. They will be freshly listened to, when it's time to play the new acquisition.

German Apple Revolver rules! You'll see.
    That's not to say it's "definitive". You have to leave that distinction with the British originals. ..but ...but ...well, you'll see.

Don't forget to tell us what you think.

23. BejittoSSJ5

BejittoSSJ5 Forum Resident

I actually consider a lot of the German cuts on par or better than the British originals, the German Apple Revolver in particular sounds better than both the later BC-13 and tube cut needledrops I have. It hits a fine balance between both, smoother, fuller and not as edgy as the BC-13 and more clarity, less IGD as the original tube cut. More exciting and engaging than both in my opinion.

john lennonist likes this.
  24. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

That mix of I Want to Hold Your Hand is on the Beatles Greatest too.

25. Kim Olesen

Some editions of it yes.