Ron Howard's Beatles Documentary Feature Film About The Band's Touring Years, "Eight Days a Week"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jordanlolss, Jul 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Except for the Magical Mystery Tour film ... ;)

Mal and Sean Murdock like this.
  2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

If anyone here would know, it would be you. I would have traded you a case of Beatles books for some legal advice around 1993. :)

Redubbing the voices for clarity is border-lined excusable (because subtitles are almost as evil as black and white in 2016). Rephrasing the question when doing so falls somewhere between sloppiness and deception, IMO.

Mal and Rfreeman like this.
  3. Frank

Frank Senior Member

I do not know that the question was actually rephrased, or, if it was, that it was done specifically for this film. In this video (uploaded 2013 from obviously varied sources), it's "What do you think of the comment that you're nothing (not "nuthin" like in the Howard video) but a bunch of British Elvis Presleys?"

Why would a psychiatrist say they're nothing but a bunch of British Elvis Presleys, anyway? Is that a psychological issue?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

So what does that make Alf Bicknell? A meta-documentarian? :idea:

5. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You linked the wrong video! This one is black and white!

6. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

That one is overdubbed as well. I just checked, originally it was the "psychiatrist"-phrasing, and it's loud and clear on tape.

The other one is more complicated. That question was originally: "What do you think your music does for these people?", Ringo answering "I don't know. It pleases them, I think. Well, it must do, 'cause they're buying it" with the follow-up question being: "Why does it excite them so much?", Paul answering "We don't know, really" and John chiming in with "If we knew, we'd form another group and be managers."

The new movie got the two questions (poorly) pieced together: "Why does [your music] e-excite them so much?", though using the original audio. Faintly hearable in the video you posted, from 03:27 on. Same voice, same intonation, an obvious edit in the used audio in the movie. Plus the footage from NBC got the exact same voice, but then mic-ed.

Frank and RayS like this.
  7. Frank

Frank Senior Member

So the "British Elvis Presleys" question is consistently re-recorded regardless of the source despite being loud and clear on the original film. Interesting.

8. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Found this little article.
    [​IMG]

Latest Beatles News as of Monday, September 12, 2016[​IMG]
    Ron Howard wants to make second Beatles film [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ron Howard wants to make a follow-up to his rock documentary The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years. Howard says he was so taken with the subject he'd love to make another film about the history of the Fab Four. "I found this to be so fascinating that I'd be very open to that," he tells British newspaper The Times.

9. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Watch out Lindsay Michael-Hogg! Ron Howard may be taking that Let It Be reissue project away from you. So what did Whoopi think when she read Paul quit The Beatles? :)

supermd and Brother Maynard like this.
  10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I bought tickets to this one, their showing it three times this week here. I hope it's worth it.

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

To those who have seen it, did they use the correct aspect ratio for the respective clips or is everything cropped for widescreen like the trailer?

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I love it when someone uses the correct word. :righton:

supermd and Frank like this.
  13. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Cropped, colorized, redubbed, edited, comped and enhanced. As it really happened, though, don't forget that.

Mal, thrivingonariff and PIGGIES like this.
  14. Yayastone

Yayastone Forum Resident

15. slane

slane Forum Resident

But your questions will be re-phrased and re-dubbed... ;)

16. Arnold Grove

Next Up from Ron Howard:
    -The Beatles: Got To Get You Into My Life: The English Tea Years
    -The Beatles: You Never Give Me Your Money: The Allen Klein Years
    -The Beatles: The Dream Is Over: The Bip Bop Years

;)

17. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

KaptKopter likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unreleased stuff, yeah,yeah, yeah !!!
    But, this is just a cleverly fast edited Anthology cut and paste job.
    No doubt I'll buy it though, :)

19. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Shea Stadium film in trouble?

According to a news item from Reuters, Apple Corps Ltd was accused in a lawsuit on Monday of infringing copyrights of a company claiming to own a master recording of the group's 1965 concert in New York's Shea Stadium. Sid Bernstein Presents LLC sued before this week's scheduled release in theaters and on Hulu of "Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years," which is supported in cinemas by a reedited, remastered and remixed version of the 1966 TV-film "The Beatles at Shea Stadium", an edit which focuses on just the Beatles concert itself. Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Manhattan. Here's a link to the Reuters report.

To us, it looks like the heirs of Sid Bernstein are looking to try and make some bucks off the Shea Stadium film. It was Subafilms (The Beatles' and Brian Epstein's company) with Ed Sullivan Productions who filmed the concert, and I'm sure their paperwork is in order. The Beatles at Shea Stadium was televised in 1966 in the U.K. and in 1967 in U.S.A. Since then, it has been reprised and shown in other countries as well. It was last televised in the U.K. by BBC in 1979.

Bernstein himself was a popular man among Beatles fans, and he used to attend Beatles conventions. He seemed to be proud of the concerts he helped arrange, and never sought any legal action, as far as we know. Sid Bernstein died in 2013. The plaintiff, Sid Bernstein Presents LLC claims to have been assigned Bernstein's rights, and in their statement they say that Brian Epstein took custody of the so-called "Master Tapes" and began using them without seeking consent.

The company Sid Bernstein Presents LLC said it sued after the U.S. Copyright Office refused to register its copyright claim, and after learning that Apple planned to release a remastered version of the Beatles' performance with the "Eight Days a Week" documentary.

As far as this blog knows, the re-edited Shea Stadium concert film is only to be used in cinemas, it will not be screened as part of the Hulu deal, and there are no plans of issuing the film as bonus material when "Eight Days A Week The Touring Years" is being released on home video in November. We hope that it isn't legal obstacles who is in the way of releasing the Shea Stadium film for a wider audience, but rather that Apple Corps Ltd aren't interested in sharing profits of the film with the other production companies involved with Howard's film.

WogBlog: Shea Stadium film in trouble? »

20. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think it would make sense to release a separate video release of Beatles concert footage. So instead of mere bonus footage on this film, you have a separate release called "Beatles: Live!" Washington, Shea, Tokyo, Rooftop (there would have to be a decision where to include this uncut. On a live release, on a Let It Be release, both), Sullivan and other TV spots, etc., etc.

21. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

In looking at the lawsuit in more detail, it appears to be an effort to claim that because Bernstein's involvement was central to the concert itself -- hiring the bands, printing the posters, designing the tickets, etc. -- he now has an interest in the copyrighted material (the performance and the film and the audio recordings of it) that emanated from the concert.

That strikes me as pretty far-fetched. It's like Bob Eubanks claiming to own the rights to the Hollywood Bowl recordings because he mortgaged his house to rent out the Bowl, helped promote the shows through KRLA, etc.

See a detailed post about the specifics of the lawsuit here:

Company files lawsuit over The Beatles' use of Shea Stadium footage »

Dinstun likes this.
  22. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

If they are not showing Shea in theaters I would hope to be offered a refund, though I think it is unlikely that will happen. It was the Shea showing that got me to buy a ticket for Thursday.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Where's Ron Decline when you need him?... ;)

notesfrom likes this.
  24. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

This seems quite obvious to me as well. Everyone who buys this will also buy a separate Shea Stadium BR down the road.

It would be easy for the them to fill an 80 minute bonus disc with more and expanded talking heads (Yes, more Whoopi!) and then the inevitable, self-congratulatory, "The Making of Eight Days A Week" featurette, and then (maybe) some of the random, shaky, 8mm home movie footage that they acquired for the Live Project with sound in the background that they didn't have accompanying video for.

25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Well, that explains it.

"...the re-edited Shea Stadium concert film is only to be used in cinemas, it will not be screened as part of the Hulu deal, and there are no plans of issuing the film as bonus material when "Eight Days A Week The Touring Years" is being released on home video in November.'

It's not Apple, it's Sid's kids.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.