Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I also encountered those violent crazies out on the street in Berkeley. There are ones pretending to deal drugs but really out to snatch the money and run. I told them I was not into drugs, and they still chased me down the street asking me what else I needed.

2. You can slip into the Arclight as if going to get a movie ticket and use theirs. Have done so (out of necessity) many times.

3. davers

davers Forum Resident

Remind us...whose lyrics are these? Sounds familiar but I can't place it.

melstapler likes this.
  4. That doesn't seem right at all. I go to Los Angeles several times a year, and I see probably more "scuzzy" areas than beautiful ones. It's just that this particular spot is going through that cycle right now. Prices aren't too bad in Inglewood . . .

5. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I don't know, the classical floor was pretty empty when I was there last year :).

6. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Sorry to hear you're leaving L.A. I too am out of here come December -- after 30 years . Just can't deal with the cost of housing -- or at least what you get for the money.

I'll always love L.A., though.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    I333I likes this.
  7. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Haha. Once the football stadium is built...

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Amoeba was HIDEOUS for everyone in the biz except Amoeba. It put a dagger in the heart of almost all the smaller stores in the area.

somnar, lightbulb and quicksrt like this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

'Big City' written in Los Angeles by Merle Haggard and Dean Holloway on Merle's tour bus parked at Britania Studios, which was owned by Tom Jones.

Tjazz, davers and The Killer like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There are several places around LA that have homeless camped out at night in tents, on the streets and in alleys behind businesses. Across the street from my apt is an ally that turns into a campsite after 9pm. However there is a high-end condo with retail gong up soon there on that corner. This new building will blow those homeless right out of there before they even strike the first foot of dirt. Oh well.

11. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

That is weird!!! With the exception of the 3+ years when my wife and I were living in Europe (2011-2014), I've been going to Telegraph Ave just about every week since 1987, and I've never had encounters with "drugged out," "violent" "crazies." I've seen my share of crazy and/or weird and/or homeless people there doing strange things (usually just yelling at the voices in their heads; alarming, but harmless), and I've had plenty of people ask me if I want to buy some weed (and these guys are very easy to ignore), and one time I saw this guy beating the crap out of a newspaper vending machine (I just gave him a wide berth as I passed by), but I've never had any actual encounters or confrontations with anyone in all these years. I've never felt in any kind of danger there. Of course, I'm *not* sitting around in People's Park, and I'm *not* going there late at night after the shops have all closed, but who would do that anyhow? And, like, why would you even acknowledge the guys selling drugs?

Blender likes this.
  12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why would I? The only thing I did wrong was carrying large shopping bags loaded with clothes and records. I just nodded and kept walking. But I know I looked like a slow moving target loaded with cash. It was late when everything was closing.

Look, this reputation has been around and growing for at least 15 years. Get that fact even if you've not seen it.

Tjazz likes this.
  13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Yep, probably the same guys

Tjazz likes this.
  14. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Oh gosh, Urban Outfitters... I hate this place in London too :(

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The redevelopment of Hollywood is long overdue. Hollywood Blvd. is a global tourist attraction with a lot of history, but for decades it's been a dump that people visit for an hour or so, take a few pictures, then leave. Done right, it could be a location that could restore economic vitality to the area. I'm sure many on this Forum remember Times Square back in the early 80's. I'm not saying that Hollywood Blvd could be anything like that, but it might be a place where tourists could feel comfortable hanging out and dropping a few bucks.

I wouldn't worry about the bums or Amoeba. LA is vast - they will find a new home.

16. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

I'm betting Haggard collected his Social Security.
    This thread is becoming too political.

"The more things change
    The more they stay the same"

17. mikee

mikee Forum Resident

? ? Amoeba has a restroom available. It's locked but you ask an employee and they quickly and courteously open it for you. It's been reasonably clean every time I've had occasion to use it.

I think they were going out anyway. Aaron's suffered far more from having to move of Melrose to a location that did not really work well for them. imo. A smaller shop could survive with a good forward thinking business plan as Rockaway did. By the way Amoeba publishes a list of ALL the other record stores in the LA area and encourages you to support them too. The lists are available on the counters in the store.

Great song! Great album!

lightbulb and melstapler like this.
  18. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Heading to LA next week and Amoeba is my second stop after Mels Diner for some turkey melts :)

I'm sure Amoeba will survive even if it's shunted off to another location!

19. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I don't want to be one of those 'I knew that' people after the answer's already been given out but 'I knew that', actually one of my fave Hag albums.

davers and melstapler like this.
  20. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Is it like one of these?

melstapler likes this.
  21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I don't get to Amoeba in Hollywood very often, but I have always parked in the paid garage attached to the mall on Ivar. It's safe.

22. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Sad day for music fans.
    How does Amoeba compare with L.A.s Tower Records in the seventies ?

23. Bigger better

24. The only record store I ever knew with a customer bathroom was Virgin. But probably only because they had a cafe. So that's. Law

25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Speaking of "Urban Outfitters", just what the hell happened to them? My wife and I were in one of their stores a month or so ago and it is now virtually a different store altogether and we didn't like it anymore.

As for Amoeba L.A., I never visit that area and not go to their store, same for when I'm in San Francisco. Clearly two of the greatest music stores that I'v ever had the pleasure of visiting. Now, I'd be a liar to not admit that the last few times in either Amoeba, the deals and more importantly, the product, was severely hampered to what I was used to finding. I'm sure that the locals, who visit on a more frequent basis, still find the worth there. I can only hope that if (and when) Amoeba has to move, that it will not relocate to a far off location, like "Rockaway Records" did. I was hugely disappointed in where Rockaway ended up and even more frustrated with their selection and space. Their old location was an oasis of selections, as where many of the other great record stores that I used to frequent out there in the mid '80's. I wish that I could remember some of the other places, but their names now escape me. I remember one being two floors and really deep. Cheap LP's upstairs and everything else, including stereo equipment on the main floor. It was almost like a warehouse. Oh well, I might as well face the truth, as I have with almost all of my beloved local music stores and that it is sadly true, what George Harrison said, as "All Things Will Pass"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.