Black Sabbath Paranoid Super Deluxe Edition coming in November

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

Sean, SinnerSaint and Criminy pete like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

No info yet.

3. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Rly Ozzie?..Rly?!?

warpig and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

Hmm, sounds interesting.

Maybe an official dvd/Blu ray of the Paris show will be included along with another live audio show from the tour. Maybe a proper 5.1 remix of the album also or a proper transfer of the quad version.

5. wdiv

wdiv Forum Resident

Glad I didn't buy the Deluxe edition CD yet :rolleyes:. Guess we'll be getting super deluxe versions of all the albums now...

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  6. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Any of this would be great. There's the Montreux '70 soundboard which was among the tapes used for the 2009/2016 DE. I'm hoping for a new 5.1 mix rather than a proper quad release, but either would be great. Would really love a release of the Brussels aka Paris show, as long as they have a nice source and don't just grab a bootleg of the TV show. Will be interesting to see what this will be. Hopefully not more disappointment.

Mr. H likes this.
  7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Forget the track list...just send us the DR log. And some charts. Need some charts to make an informed decision.

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I wouldn't assume that. Especially with them starting with Paranoid rather than the debut. Unless they discovered some more material or did a vault clearing, there really isn't much to include in super deluxes for the other albums. For Paranoid, there already enough known to exist for a super deluxe. Hopefully they go the extra mile and include some of the stray videos from the era, like tlhe TOTP Paranoid. And hopefully maybe some surprises.

melkor_morgoth and hvbias like this.
  9. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

If I end up buying this, it will be the ninth time I've bought Paranoid over the years. Which means I'm either very tolerant, very generous to Ozzy & company, or very foolish.

10. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I'm going to wait for the Super Super Deluxe Edition or the Super Super Super Deluxe Edition.

11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Or how about the Super Bloody Super deluxe edition

Dr. Funk, M321115, supernaut and 18 others like this.
  12. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Right, and then when all the Super sets are released and bought up, they'll do Super Duper sets!

mark winstanley likes this.
  13. $40 pre-order on Amazon

14. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Can we get a proper quad transfer this time?

oneslip17, JonUrban and tribby2001 like this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they just re-used the old piss poor one. Nothing surprises me anymore. But hopefully word got back to them of how bad it was and they want to do it right this time. Also, hopefully the master still exists in the US archive. This set could be well done or it could just be something they are throwing out there with little thought. Something lame like gathering all the previously released Paranoid content in one set- album CD, DE bonus CD, 2009 quad DVD, Classic Albums DVD.

16. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

How about a digital mastering that matches the dark doom metal sound of the original UK Vertigo and with dynamics intact. I'm skeptical the mastering will surpass the 33PD 2fer.

ShawnX and sathvyre like this.
  17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I would also like a mastering as you describe, but I'm not all that big a fan of the 33PD. I'm guessing the super deluxe is just going to be the 2016 remastering and while I find it too bright, it's my preferred digital option. I think it's great other than being too bright. One day I will EQ the HDtracks version to sound more dark, but not as dark as the UK 1st press as I find it too much so.

18. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Talk about milking the sacred cow.

mooseman likes this.
  19. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I understand why some wouldn't like the sound of the UK Vertigo for Paranoid, it sounds completely different from the UK Vertigo first matrix pressing for their debut. I like it quite a bit and think it suits the music. I'd actually prefer if the UK Vertigo for their S/T was mastered more similar to Paranoid... maybe not quite as dark :)

Does the HDTracks have more low end than the 33PD? I was playing a rip of that disc a couple of weeks ago and even listening to it at crazy (for me) levels it never sounded strained, and IMHO that's not because it's muffled or dark there is something right about that disc I can't put my finger on.

Tim1954 likes this.
  20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

They should have released this one alongside the double cd deluxe version, and offer the two options simultaneously. Third deluxe Paranoid re-release (2009, 2016 and 2016 again). It's ridiculous really.

John Porcellino likes this.
  21. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

If they fix the quad from the last attempt and/or do a proper 5.1, I'm in. I'll wait for reviews this time.

Overfloater8 likes this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I find the debut 1st UK to be way too bright and Paranoid to be just a bit too dark. I really don't like the 1st UK debut at all. I like the 1st US and a few digital releases much more.

From what I recall, the 33PD and UK vinyl are bumped a couple dbs at around 200hz compared to the HDtracks/2016. I tried adding this bump to the 2016 and in combo with reducing the high end, it just sounded too boomy to me. I plan on revisiting it sometime. My problem with the 33PD is that is just sounds weak to me. The HDtracks/2016 has a strong sound and very clean source, but I don't care for the EQ. Paranoid has never sound right to me on any CD, but I think I will be satisfied with the HDtracks once I fix the EQ to my liking.

hvbias likes this.
  23. Khamakhazee

Khamakhazee Forum Resident

I'm waiting for the 50th anniversary Mega Super Deluxe.

SWLABR and hi_watt like this.
  24. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Maybe it's my ears or my system, but the UK 1st press Vertigo of Sabbath's debut is one of the best sounding records I have ever heard. I don't think it's bright at all.

gramfan likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I look forward to hearing the HDTracks, if you wouldn't mind PM'ing me the EQ you come up (or posting it somewhere) I'd appreciate it. That midbass bump may be one factor why I like it so much. It might be one of those things where I need to hear something better to find fault, as it is I just turn it up pretty loud which does it for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.