What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

that's verbatim what my post above said

2. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

From Wiki:
    Like other Bond themes before it, Sheena Easton's version was not the only recorded song for the film. Rock band, Blondie also recorded a song for the film that was optioned to the studio. Blondie's "For Your Eyes Only" turns out to be inferior to the one chosen for the film as Sheena Easton's went on to be an award winning song.

3. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I have a friend who toured Europe with Sky maybe eight to ten years ago. He was on MySpace not long before leaving, talking about how he couldn't wait to join up with him and do the tour. As things progressed, his entries got less and less enthusiastic, eventually taking on the tone of "I can't wait until this damned tour is over with." I don't recall his opening up about it. Maybe the next time I see him, I'll ply him with a few shots and see what happens.

4. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

The Monkees not being musicians and not being able to play. Mickey Dolenz auditioned for the Monkees playing acoustic guitar version of Johnny B Goode and had taken classical guitar lessons since he was 10 years old. Peter was one of the first to use a banjo in a rock song on Headquarters.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  5. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

The New Barbarians are the only band to have sold out Madison Square Garden without having put out a record.

Colinjpush, Suncola and vudicus like this.
  6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

That was pretty much what it was like. I'm glad I had the opportunity and it was cool meeting him... but it really was an ordeal.

7. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

OK, I am reminded of another Sky story.

In 2004 the band I was in at the time played a 3-day garage rock festival in Las Vegas. Lots of bands, perhaps the highest profile one being the Monks, who were tremendous. Kim Fowley was there as MC, as was Sky. At some point, Sky and Kim (who went back decades, of course) got into some kind of borderline-physical altercation in which Sky at least attempted to roundhouse kick Kim. Kim announced that he was going to call the cops, at which point Sky disappeared into the main room where the A-Bones (Billy Miller and Miriam Linna’s band) were playing. Sky, apparently having decided that the safest place to be would be onstage, jumped up there with the band; Billy and Miriam, who were having several people join them as guests as night, were fairly surprised as Sky was not one of them. Sky turned to them and said “OK, we’re gonna do two songs, and if somebody is shooting video, we’re gonna split the profits!” Crazy a$$ dude.

More background here, of all places, if you scroll down: R.I.P Sky Saxon... »

GreenFuz, uzn007 and action pact like this.
  8. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Las Vegas Grind? Which band were you in??

9. Wow man, if there isn't some bio-cum-oral history about Sky Saxon out there already, there really should be...

10. popcorn1

popcorn1 Forum Resident

i was in that very room at the exact same time---cool!!

sixelsix likes this.
  11. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

The Mama's and Papa's having a number 1 record before ever giving a concert. Their first concert was at the Hollywood Bowl.

Fullbug likes this.
  12. StarDoG

StarDoG Forum Resident

For 2 decades, Alan Parsons had sold more albums than any other act that had never played live.

13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

o_O

Interesting. By my rough estimate Glen Campbell may have been the first with I Know There´s An Answer, a year before in early 1966?

14. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

So this is possibly bogus. Turns out it was Phil Lesh who the saw the Warlocks single, not Garcia - and Lesh suspects it might have been an early name for the Velvet Underground.

15. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

The Warlocks single Phil Lesh saw was on Decca possibly. The Velvet Underground used the Warlocks for gigs and didn't have any records out by that name.

16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I believe it is fairly well established that all three bands called themselves the Warlocks early on, isn't it? Whether they ever heard of the other bands is probably unknowable, but bands change their names all the time.

17. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. I was skeptical of any pre-Velvets single.

According to wiki, Frank Beard and Dusty Hill were in the Warlocks, not Gibbons. The Warlocks on Decca appear to have been from Connecticut. I'll bet it's a third band.

That's probably it. The Warlocks with Dusty Hill and Frank Beard probably lasted a few weeks at most. They were in a ton of bands together.

18. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

The VU only used the Warlocks name for a short time, Lou Redd said they playing college parties and they changed their names so they could get gigs with a new name, once the college heard them play and didn't like them.

19. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I remember when Lou Redd was with the Velvets, along with Maroon Tucker, Sterling Silver Morrison, and John Teal.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  20. At one point in the late '80s there were three bands - one each from the US, UK, and Canada - called the Screaming Trees.

Fullbug likes this.
  21. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Has anyone mentioned The Mynah Birds? It doesn't get much more absurd than Rick James and Neil Young being in a band together and recording for Motown.

22. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Close. It was actually my pal Foot Foot.

Gene Parmesan, Fullbug and vince like this.
  23. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Her dad was their tour manager in the 70's.

highway chile, bagofsoup and Fullbug like this.
  24. I never realized this it was the only piece! It's in "The Creatures of Prometheus". I was new to classical music at the time I first heard it, in the early 70s, and thought it was rather pretty.

25. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Got one.
    Talked to my supervisor who grew up in Ireland(has DEEP connections. Their a very close stiches bunch) and used to work at a old rolling skating rink. He was about 23. There adjacent to the roller rink above it, was a studio and band members would go in and do their gigs. Here the catch though. The rooms back then would be so small only one person would be able to go in with their instruments and play with one fender speakers or the like while the others were outside the door. The studio in question was Amen Andrews.
    Afterwards these "kids" would ask him if they could skate and he'd hand them a pairs and off they went. My supervisor would work the spot lights on them so they could show off.
    The "kids" in this band?
    U2. Yes, they roller skated:D