Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I think it was LA Times that I read, but it said Amoeba has "several years" before having to move and that there were options for extending that a little further. Also that they were planning on staying during this time. But I really have no idea.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Oh yes true, once the building is ready for wrecking ball, it still takes months to set up the date and times, and any business is welcome to stay and pay rent during that window.

However most businesses would want to get established at new digs, rather than wait for eviction notice.

It's only a matter of time now. 2-3 years tops.

3. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yup. And once the plans are drawn and the financing is in place, it's not going to stop to give Amoeba a break. And unless the plans include commercial businesses on the first floor and Amoeba is willing to pay the (assuredly) much higher rent, they're gone.

Plus, before anyone who's in the game pays that kind of money for a commercial plot like that, the fix is already in in terms of zoning and permits. So nothing is gonna stop them now.

Not even Starship.

4. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Seems like only yesterday when that place opened. I was living on the corner of Hollywood Blvd & Laurel Canyon at the time.

Those were the days; miracles everywhere

...where are they now?

5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where are you now?

6. They do that with CDs because they still sell the most.

7. That's why I left.

8. Generally the SF store also has a better selection of material.

9. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I'm not so sure about that. The vinyl section, especially recent arrivals, is always crowded, CDs not so much.

10. Can I move in with you? ;)
    I'm talking about national sales. I don't doubt that the vinyl aisle is crowded given the selection they have (well this is from memory...its been a year since I've been there). Surprisingly, the CD section is always pretty busy in the SF store as well as the vinyl. Maybe SF is bucking the trend...

11. Marc Perman

Yes people are still buying CDs as well at Amoeba. I've long held Tower Records partly responsible for the decline of CDs because of how much they charged (>$20 including tax in the 1990s). Amoeba manages to make CD buying still feel cool, so perhaps they're helping keep the format relevant during its current steep decline.

12. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Where can I find a list? I'll be in Hollywood next month for a few weeks and at this stage I only have Amoeba on my list.

13. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

These are my local favorites:

Freabeat Records - Sherman Oaks
    Atomic Records - Burbank
    Rockaway - Silverlake
    Gimme Gimme - Highland Park

If you want imports, like UK or German LPs, Wombleton in Eagle Rock is the place but you'll pay a premium. It's a good store, though. Across the street is Permenant and I think it sucks. Unless you like paying $15 for a $5 LP. Same goes for The Record Parlour in Hollywood and the owners are d*****bags. Though they do have an upstairs with "collectors" LPs which I haven't seen.

Records Surplus in Santa Monica is okay. If you're on that side of town it's worth stopping by. Mono Records (Silverlake) usually has some gems if you don't mind records in the VG / lower VG+ range, but they're priced very well. Parking around that street sucks, though.

Jae likes this.
  14. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Rockaway is my favorite.the owner Gary Johnson is a great guy.
    also find good records at Burger Records + some good Beatles at Pepperland Records.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That a long time to hang around waiting for the "We lost our Lease!" sale.

People can say, "oh I love this shop" or "he has a good selection" but the reason Amoeba closing is a tragedy is this. NOBODY else has this, no matter how nice the shop is. What do you want when you looking for music? Friendly small talk or this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    wynnwikman, jhm and Jae like this.
  16. Marc Perman

Don't you guys find Rockaway overpriced?

17. Jae

Jae Senior Member

Is this Amoeba? :eek: Oh man, I think I need to schedule more time to browse there!

mikeyt likes this.
  18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This picture does not show the Jazz / Classical room, or the video dept.

mikeyt and Jae like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Amoeba L.A.!

20. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I have noticed prices have increased but I still find great deals there.

goat65cars likes this.
  21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I've got more music on my server hard drives than what you see in this picture.

22. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

A lot less artful and a lot less cool than a proper record collection

SJP and audiomixer like this.
  23. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

That only matters if it matters to you. Otherwise, it's not artful and cool doesn't matter :)

I like my records and cds but I can understand why someone might prefer a music server option. Even I got a server going even though I still buy and display physical media.

My friend who insists on only physical media (cds) and insists on having them on shelves and not hidden way still rips them and plays them only through his computer. He's run out of space and an obvious option would be to store them away since he doesn't actually use the cds after they're ripped but he refuses because he likes how they look on the rack. Fair enough. It's what you like and it does look kind of cool!

Mind you, I can't imagine how big of a hard drive one has to have to have more music than what's on offer at Amoeba. Unless of course the person means they're subscribe to a streaming service like Spotify.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I have the walls of LPs too, plastic bins of 45s, some racks on walls in closets of CDs, DVD-A, and SACD.

Got the physical thing down, it's very cool.

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Once you get rid of the repeats, and a few other things, there is not as much music as it seems there. 15 gigs will cover it, throw in another 5 gigs for high res stuff which Amoeba does not have and you could be set for a long stay on a desert island.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.