Jerry Corbetta(Sugarloaf) RIP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Sep 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

I just have to pass this along. So sad. I saw Sugarloaf open for War on a few occasions
    Oldies Music -- News »
    Jerry Corbetta, lead singer and keyboard player with Sugarloaf, died Friday (September 16) at a hospice in his home town of Denver. The 68 year-old had suffered from Pick's Disease (a frontal lobe disorder) for the past six-plus years. Jerry and guitarist Bob Webber had played together in Denver in a group called the Moonrakers, who recorded for Tower Records. They then formed Chocolate Hair and were signed by Liberty Records. After a last minute change to Sugarloaf (a mountain outside Boulder, Colorado) the group reached #3 in 1970 with "Green-Eyed Lady". The follow-up off their second album, "Tongue In Cheek", reached only #55 and "Mother Nature's Wine" floundered at #88 the following year. Dropped by Liberty, the group recorded for a bit for Neil Bogart's Brut label before writing and recording "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" as "Sugarloaf/Jerry Corbetta" for their manager's own Claridge Label. The song contained an homage to the Beatles' "I Feel Fine" and a touch tone that was the actual number of CBS Records in New York-- who had turned them down for a contract. It reached #9 in early 1975, but again, its follow-ups never got any higher than #87 on the national charts. Jerry performed as part of Disco Tex's Sex-O-Lettes on the single "Get Dancin" (#10-1975) and played with Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons from 1980-1984. In later years, he toured with the Classic Rock All-Stars before retiring to fight his disease in 2009.

ZackyDog, zphage, PineBark and 8 others like this.
  2. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Oh No! R.I.P. J.C.

3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

RIP Jerry :shake:

Did not know he retired.

Saw "The Classic Rock All-Stars" on a Triple bill:

Robbie Krieger Band
    Joey Molland' Badfinger
    The Classic Rock All-Stars (Spencer Davis, Jerry Corbetta, Pete Riveria)

4. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

"Green Eyed Lady" was the song that introduced me to the splendor of the Hammond B-3.

RIP Jerry.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  5. Norbert Becker

Norbert Becker Senior Member

What a great song Green Eyed Lady is, and the vocals are great. I love the syncopation, the space jam section, and this was such a great song in the car growing up in the 70s.

RIP Jerry.

Gardo, Mark E. Moon, gregorya and 8 others like this.
  6. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I love Green Eyed Lady.

Rest in peace

:(

Gardo, RickH and Christopher B like this.
  7. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

RIP . I was turned on to Sugarloaf by a black light poster called "Green Eyed Lady".

clhboa likes this.
  8. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That's too bad. One of my very first records was that Sugarloaf album.
    R.I.P.

Agent57 likes this.
  9. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

I saw them in a livestock barn at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield on April 14th, 1972. They opened for West, Bruce, & Laing. They stunk, WBL stunk... heck, we stunk. Everyone in that place ended up smelling like a combination of marijuana and cow manure! Musically speaking, Sugarloaf were great, as I recall. The crowd went CRAZY for Green Eyed Lady, Mr. Corbetta's B-3 literally shook the rafters and roof in that horrible place. West, Bruce, and Laing were very good, but less than thrilled with their surroundings....Who could blame 'em.... Rest in peace, Mr. Corbetta, and my sincere condolences to your family and friends......

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

ZackyDog, seed_drill, BryanW and 7 others like this.
  11. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I saw Sugarloaf in the early 70s when they played at the gym of my Jr. High School in Wenatchee, WA. I won two tickets in one of those "be the 8th caller"to one of our local AM rock stations. I asked girl who I had a crush on to go with me and she accepted and ditched me as soon as we got there. She pretty much broke my poor 14 year old heart, but I managed to survive. I purchased the self title Sugarloaf vinyl which I still have today and loved the song Green Eyed Lady. RIP Jerry.

jeffd7030, clhboa, SonyTek and 2 others like this.
  12. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man I Am Just a Mops

RIP Jerry. Don't Call Us, We'll Call You is one of my very favorite songs.

Christopher B likes this.
  13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

14. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

2016 cant end soon enough. This has been a year for the ages with the amount of musician and celebrity deaths. I know death is a part of life but still...

15. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I like Green-Eyed Lady so much, that I bought the CD just for that song. And I'm still glad I did. A fantastic song. RIP.

RickH likes this.
  16. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

RIP, loved his stuff!

17. Green-Eyed Lady is an all-time rock classic. FM stations kept playing it years after it was a hit. I have childhood memories of loving it when either that or Head East's "Never Been Any Reason" came on.

jeffd7030 and driverdrummer like this.
  18. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Green eyed lady written by Jerry, JC Phillips and Dave Riordan. The last two formed Sweet Pain from West Covina with my cousin.

19. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

R.I.P.

I've loved Green-Eyed Lady ever since it came out, a classic & vintage 70's piece if there ever was one. I like the steady drum beat in the song, amongst everything else about it others have already mentioned. "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" was a song my old band used to play back in the mid-70's.

What a terrible year this has been for rock & roll.

20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I only know Green-Eyed Lady, but what a great song. RIP.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

1970 was a year that hard rock, psych, pop, and bubblegum could all exist in the same song. "Green Eyed Lady" sounded equally at home on AM and FM radio and still does. At least he leaves behind a lasting piece of music.

RIP

Brian Kelly, digdug67 and JamieC like this.
  23. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

24. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

Norbert Becker likes this.
  25. digdug67

digdug67 Hockley's Hits Here!

"Green Eyed Lady" and "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You", two fantastic classics. I also have "Get Dancin'" on an 8-track comp!
    R.I.P Jerry Corbetta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.