The Rush cd mastering thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Kevin5brown has shown with a graph for at least one track that the MFSL and the silverface have almost identical EQ.

2. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Interesting graph. Like I said in the earlier post, the 1st WG pressing won out for me. I'm surprised the 02 matrix is clipped, as to my ear it sounded better than the 03.

If anyone cares I can post the peak levels for the Green Arrow. I never compared it to the 02 matrix, and I no longer have the 02 matrix files, so I really don't know if it is in fact a unique mastering or not.

3. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

If you could post a sample from the Green Arrow, I can compare it with my 02 Atomic.

4. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I went back and forth between the MFSL and Atomic, but now the 2015 hi-res remaster is my go-to. It really exceeded my expectations.

5. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

How do these 2 fare regarding updated forum opinion?
    Even though the DR numbers look good, if the links are correct.
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/17787
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/17786

Think the release date is 1987, DR Database has Hemispheres as 1990 although I’m sure that's a mistake (purchased in 1987).
    2112: Mercury / PolyGram 822 545-2 M-1 (Matrix 822 545-2 01) Made in W. Germany
    Hemispheres: Mercury / PolyGram 822 547-2 M-1 (Matrix 822 547-2 01) Made in W. Germany

[​IMG]

6. DiabloG

The Atomics for 2112 and Hemispheres both have smiley-faced EQ compared to the Anthems. The Hemispheres Atomic suffers from the EQ far more than 2112 does. La Villa is where the brightness is most noticeable IMO. In the big scheme of things, both Atomics are okay if they're all you've got, but you should definitely grab the Anthem equivalents when you get the chance.

Mbe and 32XD Japan1 like this.
  7. 32XD Japan1

The Anthems are far superior, I couldn't agree more. The vocals on the WG Atomic of 2112 are pretty harsh. As for Hemispheres, the Anthem is an amazing listening experience. I found the AF of Hemispheres to be a close second to the Anthem.

Rockstar2112, Mbe and DiabloG like this.
  8. 32XD Japan1

WG Green Arrow / Moving Pictures
    track 1 - pk 1.00 gain -3.60
    track 2 - pk 1.00 gain -4.24
    track 3 - pk 1.00 gain -3.11
    track 4 - pk 1.00 gain -3.37
    track 5 - pk 1.00 gain -2.84
    track 6 - pk 1.00 gain -2.02
    track 7 - pk 1.00 gain -2.94

9. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The "Green Arrow" Moving Pictures is same as the 01 Atomic. Which in the case of that mastering makes it a collector's disc only.

10. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Excellent, I shall be on the look-out for the Anthems and probably pick up other variants of Hemispheres as well just as comparisons.

Thanks.

11. S. P. Honeybunch

"Big Money": Chronicles has a treble boost that doesn't help the already bright recording.
    "Grand Designs": SHM has rolled off treble versus the Mercury, which does help.
    "Marathon": Mercury has rolled off treble versus the SHM, which helps also.

Ambassador likes this.
  12. S. P. Honeybunch

I have one of the old Anthems and feel that someone might be able to improve on it, but that it generally sounds good. The MFSL "Subdivisions" on your chart looks like someone might have sucked out too much midrange. It's not that the Anthem is perfect, but I can't imagine the master needing that many EQ moves. How is the midrange throughout the entire MFSL?

13. DiabloG

I'm not sure what Kevin thinks about this, but when I compared Countdown and Digital Man from various masterings (Anthem, MFSL, SHM, 25.8P, and WG Atomic) a while ago, I felt that the MFSL had the best midrange. The graph seems to say otherwise, which is interesting. Even though I don't have the Anthem or SHM anymore, I'd like to sit down with the other 3 Signals CD's in the near future and do another comparison. On a related note, I don't care for either the WG or US Atomic of Signals due to the midrange suckout.

14. S. P. Honeybunch

I know what you're saying about the common Atomic. I find the midrange to be way too low in presence. Kevin's graph shows some of the midrange frequencies to be similar in volume to that Atomic, which I'm concerned about.

15. DiabloG

I can upload a FLAC sample from the MFSL if you want. Would you like me to provide one?

16. S. P. Honeybunch

Sure, thanks.

17. DiabloG

18. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

19. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

The AMCY Signals is the only version I have yet to hear. I like the 25-8P and the Anthem CDs best. Used to like the MFSL best, but now not so much compared to the other two.

Overall though, I listen to a needledrop of the US LP as it just slays every CD version I've ever heard ;) That's practically the case for all Rush albums, now that I think about it...others might disagree to some extent, but for me, vinyl is the way to go for Rush.

btomarra likes this.
  20. Ambassador

Ambassador Forum Resident

If you have heard the SHM, you have heard the AMCY. (Only different being a sample shift offset on one channel)

TheJosh likes this.
  21. TheJosh

TheJosh Forum Resident

You're right. I completely forgot the SHM = AMCY. The SHM was pretty nice too, from what I can recall.

rcsrich likes this.
  22. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

If anyone is keeping track, here is the peak info from the 2112 40th Anniversary Sean Magee remaster:

Track........Peak

23. Ambassador

That digital release is affected by the Universal watermark.

24. Ben C.

Ben C. Forum Resident

Well, those are my numbers from my CD that I ripped. In case there is any confusion!

Ambassador likes this.
  25. Ambassador

There are CDs? :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.