Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

People tend to get snippy and hyperbolic when they are ganged up upon or dismissed entirely when expressing a negative opinion, however truthful. This applies to Luke and anybody else on this forum who does their homework. The only people who are "condescending" are the ones who refuse to listen to such opinions.

And you have to keep in mind that there are no "heroes" here to defend staunchly for their poor decisions...only Abkco. If certain people were involved with these Stones releases, you could bet the farm that there would be people screaming at Luke about how ungrateful he is (there already has been, actually, but they were removed - as they always should be).

2. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I had a US mono London Satanic Majesties lp some years ago but didn't keep it because it sounded like mostly fold-downs with two exceptions:
    She's A Rainbow (slightly differernt mix with louder mellotron) - I don't have the original 45 so I don't know if the mono SMR lp and 45 mixes are the same
    2000 Man: organ missing in the interlude just before the final "Oh Daddy" refrain at the end

I have never heard a UK Decca mono SMR but have to assume it is identical to the US mono London press. If not _please_ let me know!

3. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

My US London pressing is not a fold down.

4. owsley

owsley Senior Member

What other songs have notably mono different mixes on the London SMR?

5. Adam9

Sing This All Together has a much louder kick drum. The Lantern has 3 gongs before the guitar starts as opposed to 2 on the stereo.

owsley likes this.
  6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Via @prof. stoned:

"By the time this album came out in December 1967, the stereo format reigned supreme in the States and was
    slowing taking over in the UK as well. As a result, mono copies are somewhat difficult to locate. Most US
    copies ended up being dumped with a cut-out hole. In the UK, quite a bit more mono copies were sold at
    the time but only one of the three different pressing variations contained the true one channel mix,
    while the other two were sourced from a folddown of the stereo. Regardless, the US pressings should be
    considered the true originals, because the album was first mastered at Bell Sound, New York, and save from
    Canada, all other pressings were cut from copy tapes.

Much effort on my behalf went into the production of this collection, because I wanted to make sure
    to get it exactly right this second time around. Therefore, I invested in various different pressings
    (three from the USA, and the one correct pressing from the UK with 1P/P1 on the deadwax). There were
    notable sonic differences between all four of them, with the UK copy clearly having inferior soundquality.
    While the recording is already somewhat hot and gritty sounding, the UK mono misses definition, has
    smeared sounding transients and is more hissy. Among the US pressings I compared (with sets of 1C, 1D &
    1H matrices), the 1H came out as the cleanest and most dynamic sounding, so that one was used for the
    majority of this recording. Still, one thing all USA copies had in common were the quite noisy surfaces,
    and thus I had to fly in some small fragments from the 1C (which was pressed in the 70's)."

7. nbadge

nbadge the stars were right

In the ABKCO lists, there is a track titled "When Old Glory Comes Storming", also reported in some books as "When Old Glory Comes Along." In the ABKCO list, the song is in the same batch as tracks that were bootlegged (e.g. "Trident Mixes"). This song is the only track that wasn't bootlegged. Do I have this correct? I used to think that the title may have been a working title for another song. It is fascinating to think there could be a Let It Bleed outtake that we haven't heard (along with "Toss The Coin", which is not included in the ABKCO lists).

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I believe @GreenGringo indicated it's likely Let It Loose.

OldSoul likes this.
  9. nbadge

nbadge the stars were right

Thank you and thanks to GreenGringo! I've been wondering about this since I was 13 years old when I got the first Martin Elliott sessionography book. I'm 39, so it's been a long time coming.

10. buckaroo

buckaroo Forum Resident

My first post in this thread. I have the 70's reissue (Decca) of the first album. Everything else that I have is original USA stereo versions of the stones work.. I am very interested to add the early mono versions to my collection. This box, if good, will be great for me.

My sense after reading these threads is that the audio quality will be good (better than 1970's reissues). Like many here, my fingers are crossed for a good press. That is such a huge variable these days!

Daryl Broussard likes this.
  11. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Hello all,
    Do you think the vinyls might be released individually ?
    Thanks for your thoughts

12. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

they will, but not the Stray Cats compilation.

13. youare

youare New Member

This and Jiving Sister Fanny which is different from the Metamorphosis track

14. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

what's the difference with Jiving Sister Fanny?

Adam9 likes this.
  15. youare

youare New Member

Sorry, my mistake, the only difference is in track lengths, 3:20 and 3:25, due to the longer fadeout, that's what confused me. Memos From Turner are different, not Sisters Fanny.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    Adam9 likes this.
  16. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

I'd like to first add my thanks for all your invaluable info on this smorgasbord of a discography. I'm curious about Queenie - Is this Little Queenie? I wasn't aware of any studio takes of it other than the Little Boy Blue And The Blue Boys tapes. (Sorry if this has been asked and answered previously)

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Their Satanic Majesties Request
    - In Another Land - Same transfer as 2002 (Singles Collection), slight level/EQ difference. Quite similar to a well known needledrop.
    - She's A Rainbow - Same transfer as 2002 (Singles Collection), slight level/EQ difference. Subjectively has a bit more clarity than aforementioned needledrop, and doesn't have a tape problem just before the whistle in the intro that's present on the needledrop.
    - The Lantern - Mono mix (3 bells in intro). Same transfer as 2002 (Singles Collection), slight level/EQ difference. Apparently no NR (2002 Singles Collection definitely has some in intro, and possibly throughout song). A bit more clarity (and tape hiss) than needledrop. Needledrop sounds and looks a bit rolled off in comparison.
    2000 Light Years From Home - Same transfer as 2002 (Singles Collection), slight level/EQ difference. Apparently no NR (2002 Singles Collection seems to have some in intro). A bit more clarity (and tape hiss) than needledrop.

4:17 is approximately the time of the live recording on Ya-Ya's, so my guess is that performance was intended as a single.

18. Adam9

I believe Little Queenie was released as a single in some countries.

slane and Amnion like this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Adam9 and Amnion like this.
  20. LSP2003

LSP2003 Senior Member

Thanks for taking the time and posting this. Your Stones info has helped for years. Much obliged!

21. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Thanks, i'll wait then. I'm only interested in let it bleed and beggars banquet, the latter i ruined when i was a child.

22. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

There is a 3-LP set in the Abkco vaults that is genuinely and surprisingly called "Trident Rough Mixes"...this was not a bootlegger creation. Perhaps an early attempt at beating the bootleggers? The entire 3-LP set has been bootlegged, but sometimes in varying quality and in batches related to the album sessions they came from (Beggars, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers/Exile). I am not aware of any sources that are clean tape-sourced all the way through. Some of the songs slated for this LP were finished up and released on "Exile On Main Street", which might have had something to do with the project's demise (besides the fact that it was an insane idea). Some tracks were carried over for "Metamorphosis", but in different (and rather sonically obscene) mixes.

"Old Glory" is indeed an early title for "Let It Loose" and the performance of "Red House" listed in the vaults is likely just a mislabel of "Hillside Blues". I was able to determine what the correct song titles were through deductive reasoning, simply by comparing the track times listed on the tape boxes to the "remaining" tracks bootlegged along with this material. It all fell into place like a puzzle.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As I think I noted, I think HTW is likely a dedicated mix.

As for YCAGWYW, was there perhaps a post or two about this that got purged? I thought somebody said they were once told that there was a foreign 45 that was stereo but had a longer fade, and that they had their doubts. Well, I'm not certain about the 45, but such a mix does exist. I just got a copy of Collector's Only (collector's only what?), and not only is YCAGWYW the single edit, but it's stereo, and it has a longer fade, and it's a different mix. Notably, the French horn has noticeable reverb on it.

It looks like there was a stereo US promo:

The Rolling Stones - Honky Tonk Women »

"B-side is edited, but has a much longer "ending-fade" than the mono commercial single, or the stereo LP version".

It's not clear what's on the 1989 Singles Collection and Grrr, if this is actually the stereo 45 mix.

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I believe you are looking for this post

slane and lukpac like this.
  25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Definitely not 30 seconds longer. More like 5 or so.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.