Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I'm beginning to think movie-goers are voting with their wallets this year.

2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

look at Spiderman they're going for round #3....this time with Marvel at the helm as opposed to Sony

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. It's not going to remake the origin story. It's a reboot without
    I thought it was one of their worst films. I agree the tone and timing felt way off. It's an odd film lacking the whimsical humor of "O Brother Where Art Though?" The film cries out for that. There are some truly bizarre moments that do,work but, on the whole, it was a miss for me.

4. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Wow, the creatures in Warcraft are Scorpion king bad. I've seen better CGI in tv series. Why the guy who did Moon chose do do this movie is beyond me

5. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

"Sully" keeps cruising along, buoyed by the best kind of word of mouth. Glad there's an audience for an intelligent and realistic film.

budwhite likes this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

What's baffling to me is that Warcraft reportedly cost $140 million to make! Where'd all the money go?

Meanwhile, the remake/sequel of Blair Witch bombed so badly, it's caused people in the bidness to wonder if whether the "found footage" genre is over with...

As ‘Blair Witch’ Flops, Is the Found-Footage Horror Film Over? »

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Kinda too soon for a remake of that I would think....but yeah, the hand held monkey cam thing is way over as far as I'm concerned.

8. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I actually really liked Hail Caesar!, and I am pretty on the fence about the Coens. (I haven't liked most of their better-regarded films, so I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.) The stuff about the communist writers and the Soviet spy sub was hilarious to me -- it was obviously meant as a kind of burlesque of the larger public's perception of Hollywood's politics during the early McCarthy era.

I'm quite impressed that they made $60 million with it, though, since even I thought it was kind of "inside baseball" for a mainstream audience. It may have poked gentle fun at Hollywood's compulsion toward self-aggrandizement, but in its winking way it buys into the Hollywood myth too. Still, I was never bored and always amused. And it looked great.

As for predictions -- well, not that it takes any particular inside knowledge to be able to say so with confidence, but Magnificent Seven and, to a lesser extent, Storks this weekend are both going to bomb. I predict openings in the high teens. Tim Burton's Miss Peregrine in two weeks also has bomb written all over it, and Peter Berg's Deepwater Horizon movie seems unlikely to generate much interest either. I don't expect it to fare much better than The Finest Hours, another maritime disaster movie, did earlier in the year (or, for that matter, Ron Howard's maritime disaster movie even earlier in the year).

Vidiot and Plan9 like this.
  9. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I'm looking forward to Magnificent Seven. Plan on seeing it on Friday.

10. Vidiot

I think you're dead-on correct here. The new Magnificent Seven remake cost about $105 million, so it's gonna have to make north of $200M just to break even. There's no way Storks can make any money. I'd like to see the other two do OK, but it looks to me like they're being dumped into September because the studios have no faith in them.

Maggie likes this.
  11. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This will sink without a trace, unfortunately (I don't think people want to hear about this story):
    DENIAL - Official Site »
    With a cast like this, I'll be looking to grab it on Netflix.
    Movies for adults just don't hang around for long anymore.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Blair Witch reboot thing was just utter garbage, my fright wig stated firmly in place. Last lousy movie was The Mechanic : resurrection, even Jason Statham's kickboxing, headbutts, and old spice couldn't save this stinker.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I caught the Blair Witch remake last weekend, and other than having better cameras and sound design, it's almost the same film as the original. You do see a little more in the house at the end, but it certainly couldn't be considered a sequel to the original as it resolves nothing and does nothing to advance the mythology around the series.

I did like the use of a drone in the film, but ultimately it was wasted.

Vidiot likes this.
  14. Vidiot

Wow, this is a first: Viacom (CBS/Paramount) has already written off a $115 million film called Monster Trucks that's not due out until January 2017!

‘Monster Trucks’ Drove Viacom’s $115M Charge Even Before Its Release »

They're basically saying they've looked at it, they've tested it, they've had marketing meetings, and they're so convinced it's gonna bomb, they're calling it now instead of later. Absolutely incredible. Who the hell green lights pieces of crap like this? What is it, a remake of Killdozer?

McLover and sunspot42 like this.
  15. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

And The Car .. as well

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Did the protagonists in this remake understand that if you follow a creek's current downhill it will lead you to a bigger river and towns and people living along the river? I never could understand why in the original movie the group didn't just follow the creek out of the woods. Oh yeah....no movie then :D

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  17. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

My sons (age 13 and age 9) and I saw a trailer for Monster Trucks last month when we went to see The Secret Life of Pets. From what I gathered, a kid befriends an alien, which takes up residence under the hood of the kid's beat up pickup truck and somehow or other "bonds" with the vehicle so it becomes a kick ass racing/stunt machine... they both thought it looked "cool" but it looks dumb as a box of rocks to me....

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Not a chance...

19. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I honestly thought the movie's CG was fine - and I often hate CG! :shrug:

20. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I get a kick out of reading the wrong predictions from people on this thread. I'm not really a fan of remakes/reboots/etc. either, but someone doubted that Finding Dory would be a hit, and that seriously made me laugh.

budwhite likes this.
  21. Well, yeah, now you know it was a hit. Did you laugh and comment when that prediction was made?:D

budwhite likes this.
  22. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Nope. Top grossing films so far this year:

1 Finding Dory (Sequel)
    2 Captain America: Civil War (Sequel)
    3 The Jungle Book (2016) (Remake)
    4 The Secret Life of Pets
    5 Deadpool (Sequel? Extended Universe? Whatever)
    6 Zootopia
    7 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Sequel)
    8 Suicide Squad (Sequel? Extended Universe? Whatever)
    9 Jason Bourne (Sequel)
    10 Star Trek Beyond (Sequel)

Oatsdad likes this.
  23. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

Yes, yes I did.

bluejeanbaby and Pete Puma like this.
  24. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

How is Sully doing?

25. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

They make the same mistakes as the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.