Star Wars Episode VII: The Spoilers Awaken

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DreadPikathulhu, Dec 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Wouldn't you also need a 4K BD player to see an appreciably improved image over the standard Blu-ray disc, even on a 4K TV?

2. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Yes, and I plan on getting one later this year. The Samsung is available now, Panasonic has one coming, and there's rumors of a revised Playstation 4 that will play 4K BDs.

And if not on disc, there's always the streaming option; apps like Vudu now offer UHD titles with Dolby Vision HDR and Dolby Atmos sound.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I just bought a 40" Samsung 4K set over the weekend. Some limited UHD streams on Netflix (House of Cards is eye-popping) but I've spent most of my free time watching 4K nature shorts on YouTube. Yowsa! Also just bought my first BD player (yeah, I'm a bit behind the times) and cataloging which of my DVD's will need to be replaced because they now look like ****e (hint: all of them) :angel:

bferr1 likes this.
  4. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

To do what?

5. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Finally watched the 70-minute documentary on the TFA Blu-ray. It was okay, a decent EPK-style doc, only a little longer than EPKs typically are.

Still didn't learn much about the film. Everybody got along, Disney gave them a s***-ton of money for their budget so they rightly should have the best models, puppets, digital effects, etc. Everybody who worked on the movie is a Star Wars nerd and acted like fanboys, but still got the job done.

I can maybe not count it against them that they didn't mention Harrison Ford's on-set injury, as that may still be an issue pending with labor or workplace safety organizations in the UK or something.

Ford does his best in interviews to muster the façade of enthusiasm for the movie, and I guess that's a bit entertaining in and of itself. The most interesting thing he had to say was talking about the cheap switches from the first movie that he wanted them to fix for the new film.

I know Disney products are never going to get into any nuts and bolts and anything negative (still waiting for them to release that documentary on "Kingdom of the Sun" that Sting's wife made), but even stuff like the "Waking Sleeping Beauty" documentary touched a little bit on some sort of downside. I guess 20 years from now we'll maybe get more details on TFA.

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

According to Wiki - "The trailer was viewed close to 30 million times in its first 29 hours at a rate of 800,000 views per hour from Facebook and YouTube which is 200,000 views shy of what the first teaser trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens was receiving in November 2014.[46]"

Rogue One - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

Not bad at all. 200,000 views fewer than The Force Awakens teaser, which was huge news as it was the first Star Wars teaser in years, not to mention one of the main movies instead of a spin off.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    Encuentro likes this.
  7. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

A good argument for why Rey was able to defeat Kylo Ren. It makes sense.

Wounded Land and Keith V like this.
  8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Cool. Thank you

Encuentro likes this.
  9. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Yep, that sums up my own feelings very well. Can't wait to see where this is all going.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Ren really hasn't had to develop and increase his powers. Even with his relatively inexperienced and limited use of his abilities, he's been able to overpower everyone in his path up until this point.

Plus, there weren't Jedi on every street corner in this age. So light sabers, and combating others who wield them wouldn't have been something Ren was used to. For Rey, with her new powers, to be able to beat him makes sense to me just merely looking how how she's scratched to survive. She's more fierce than he is simply because she's had to be her whole life.

11. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Catching a few minutes of episode III on TV the other night really makes me appreciate VII.

12. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

Just curious, how so?

Keith V likes this.
  13. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

Probably because the prequels all together weren't as good as Episode VII was by itself. Just a guess.

JediJoker, marblesmike and Keith V like this.
  14. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

Yup, and III was the best of a bad bunch.

marblesmike and Keith V like this.
  15. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

As far as Episode III goes:
    Just bad storytelling all around. Too many special effects for the sake of special effects.
    I'll go no further because I don't want to hurt the feelings of Anakin fans :)

mmars982, JediJoker and mark renard like this.
  16. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

There are Anakin fans? :sigh: :laugh:

JediJoker, Keith V and sunspot42 like this.
  17. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

:biglaugh: :unhunh: :evil:

JediJoker and Keith V like this.
  18. Grunge Master

You know, I actually like Anakin's story. A good kid who grows up torn between wanting to be a Jedi Knight, protector of all that is good, and wanting to just be this all powerful person who is basically invincible. Add to the fact that he loved his wife so much that he would do anything to keep her alive, and his story is pretty good. It's just that the way he was portrayed wasn't any good, until probably the 2nd half of Sith.

19. Song4U

Song4U Senior Member

I wonder if people would have felt any different had it been a well known (well liked) actor from Hollywood who portrayed Anakin in other words was he miss cast by George Lucas? It was a really great story line as you mentioned and he really did love Padme' would have done anything for her but why did he have to wine so much along the way? :laugh::sigh:

Keith V likes this.
  20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That would be the fault of George Lucas, not Hayden Christensen. Actors can only do so much with what they're given.

David Campbell and JediJoker like this.
  21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yes but they dont have to be part of such bad things!!!!!

I have heard one of them didnt really wanna do it.... SO WHY DID HE??

22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Because being paid lots and lots of money makes life more fun?

23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Nearly all actors with long careers have the occasional dud. I don't know who said that he didn't want to do it, but there are many who probably saw Star Wars as the opportunity of a lifetime.

JediJoker likes this.
  24. Grunge Master

Well, the big rumor was that Leo Dicaprio was asked to be Anakin, and after he read the script he turned it down. I don't know if that's really true.

25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's true that he was asked. I'm not sure if he got to read the script. I remember an interview with him in which he said he had to see the script. Whether or not he read the script, DiCaprio had the benefit of having seen The Phantom Menace and having witnessed the backlash surrounding that film before making his decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.