Bob Dylan: "Trouble No More 1979 - 1981" - The Bootleg Series Vol. 13

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DeeThomaz, Sep 24, 2015.

1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

That would have sounded strange, but it may have worked at an exploratory pace.

There was that rumor of "Oxford Town" played early in 1966? I don't buy it, but who knows.

paulbright81 likes this.
  2. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't buy the "Oxford Town" rumor either. But Dylan has always been prone to defy expectations. It's not IMPOSSIBLE. I guess.

3. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

I can't believe there is not one member on this forum or the ER forum with any real information about all the Dylan film screenings in Tulsa over the weekend. Seems like plenty of related '66 discussion could be sparked with a review of what the screenings included. Sorry to change the topic away from the boots...I guess we are all passing the time one way or another. Looks like the NDH deluxe release is still on for Friday.
    :righton:

4. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member Thread Starter

@John Rhett Thomas offered a detailed analysis of his experience here:

Bob Dylan Archives Week in Tulsa (September 21-24) »

TyroneSlothrop, Dflow, asdf35 and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Mbd77, please check the disc. Are there breaks between the tracks?

6. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

It's interesting to hear how some audiences reacted to songs they weren't yet familiar with.

On the Feb. 5, 1966 audience tape from White Plains, NY (a month before the release of Blonde on Blonde) the crowd really seems to love "Mona Lisa must've had the highway blues, you can tell by the way she smiles". The line gets a big laugh and some applause.

"Geez, I can't find my knees" gets some giggles as well.

TyroneSlothrop and DeeThomaz like this.
  7. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Still does for me

ash1 and DeeThomaz like this.
  8. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

DeeThomaz likes this.
  9. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

This thread has certainly been an interesting and entertaining read so far. Thanks so much for this. So anyway, looking forward to Thursday then.....

10. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

11. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

12. pillboxer

pillboxer Member

Disc: 1
    1. She Belongs to Me (Incomplete)
    2. Fourth Time Around
    3. Visions of Johanna
    4. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    5. Desolation Row
    6. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
    7. Mr. Tambourine Man

Tell me this is a mistake?! An acoustic Tom Thumb??

EDIT: Obviously it's Just Like A Woman :(

13. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

It's the release of the year.
    (unless the Beach Boys trump it with the I'm In Great Shape acetate)

14. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

The 1996 Live Recordings
    Access All Areas (A Kinda Blog) | Bob Dylan ISIS Magazine »

Well, after my recent blog post I guess readers would have been aware that something was happening soon! We were asked not to release information about “The 1996 Live Recordings” box set and as far as possible we do try to play the game. Amazon has, however, given out information so I guess that makes it open season!

“The 1996 Live Recordings” box set will contain 36 CDs presenting all of the available recordings from Bob Dylan’s momentous 1966 tour. You will have already read in ISIS magazine (issue 187) that all of the European shows (apart from the opening night in Copenhagen) were captured either whole or in part by Dylan’s soundman Richard Alderson on a Nagra reel-to-reel recorder. All of these ‘professionally recorded shows plus the available audience recordings from Down Under will be included in the upcoming box. Some of the audience recordings are said to be quite poor quality and one person described them to me as “Frisbees”; The Nagra’s though are wonderful.

As I previously stated, this box set will be a fraction of the cost of the “Cutting Edge” 18-CD set. “The 1996 Live Recordings” box will be released by Sony Music Cmg on November 11, 2016. I won’t bore you with the track listing at the moment as I think readers of this blog will be very well aware of the content of these shows. We don’t have a firm price from Sony yet but the box is likely to retail for around £105.00. The firm price and ordering details will follow soon. Please be aware that this is not a limited edition.

15. SGR

SGR Forum Resident

Nice to see that this is coming out and at a reasonable price.

JL6161 likes this.
  16. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

*weeping tears of joy*

I'm counting all or part of 23 shows. HOORAY! And for $135? Hallelujah!

Absolutely no complaints of any kind, although I'm sure someone will manage to come up with some.

17. jvs52

jvs52 Forum Resident

The opening night is Stockholm, not Copenhagen.

18. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

Description
    A monumental 36-disc box set featuring every known recording from the mythic and controversial 1966 tour of the US, UK, Europe and Australia.

With the exception of the Manchester concert (May 17, 1966) released as Bob Dylan Live 1966 The Bootleg Series Vol. 4 in 1998, a pair of songs appearing on the 1985 Biograph compilation and a smattering of others, the overwhelming majority of tracks and performances on Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings are previously unreleased in any format--official or bootlegged--and are being made available now for the very first time.

All the songs on The 1966 Live Recordings were written by Bob Dylan (vocal, guitar, piano, harmonica) with the sole exception of "Baby, Let Me Follow You Down," a traditional song arranged by Bob Dylan for concert performance. Dylan is accompanied on these recordings by Robbie Robertson (guitar), Rick Danko (bass, backing vocals), Richard Manuel (piano), Garth Hudson (organ) and Mickey Jones (drums). (Sandy Konikoff plays drums on the White Plains and Pittsburgh shows only.)

Meticulously researched, curated and restored for this extraordinary collection, Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings is drawn from three main audio sources: soundboards, CBS Records mobile recordings and audience tapes.

19. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

*happy dance*

Now I'm just basking in contentment and waiting for everyone (stateside) to wake up and start shrieking!

21. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

There still seems to be a thriving mail order business out of Japan.

"Hardly anyone buys boots anymore"...how are you qualified to make such a sweeping statement? Do you know "everyone"? Have you seen the sales figures?

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Well, that's done. Now we know. Time to start The 1966 Live Recordings thread.

Would someone please explain to me why Sony / Dylan did not treat the 1965 Live Recordings with the same respect?

23. dajokr

dajokr Classical "Mega" Box Set Collector

Hold on to your hats ... this thread about to take off...

24. highwater

highwater Forum Resident

IronWaffle likes this.
  25. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

Why it says 1996 Live recordings?? They were found in 1996?