Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Is the 2CD RAH release likely to be considerably better quality than Manchester, BS4?

2. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

There is probably a Liverpool tape not in the Sony vaults and maybe Sony didn't want to pay the right price I had read that it was in the hands of a private collector, if the memory serves me well. I'm looking for the link.

3. IMHO it's not the same issue. Each of these 36 discs will give you an individual public PERFORMANCE that Dylan gave each night to a paying audience. This makes it different from a stream of out-takes in the studio where he is trying to build a song together, not that there is anything wrong with that for die-hard fans either. I think you either will be satisfied with another single show or you will want the whole tour experience. For the money I think many will go for the mammoth set. I'm personally surprised how quickly my fingers hit the buy button!

4. signothetimes53

signothetimes53 Senior Member

What a shame we can't get a full concert DVD included with this box set, though....

5. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

Yet quality often outweighs performance. If the RAH shows sound better than Liverpool, they have the potential for being judged as overall better shows.

6. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

As much of a Dylan freak as I am, even I'm aware that I would not be pulling this off the shelf all that often. Pretty much the definition of overkill. Good price though.

George P likes this.
  7. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah.

We were all hoping for video of the concerts.

I agree, what a shame.

bobcat likes this.
  8. This is a cool set but IMHO if you're not much of a Dylan fan there are many other collections I'd buy first. But if you're going to eventually get them all then enjoy .....

9. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Thinking about buying the 4Shure 1965 set to go with this new release. As it uses the download that came with the Cutting Edge Collector's Set does anybody know if the '65 shows had the inbetween song talk or was that cut out.
    I'm sure somebody asked this before but I can't find the answer. Thanks.
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1646/26094412473_7c396fd57a_o.jpg

10. citizensmurf

True, but at this price, we can't expect a lavish book and all the normal fixings of a regular boxed set. It's the audio we're getting. I think any other extras would have pushed the price up and the the release further away.

11. citizensmurf

Don't support bootleggers, plain and simple. Just because someone made up a set, doesn't mean they deserve your money.

Dylan deserves your money, it's his ****ing music.

12. Richard--W

The 1965 boot box is exactly the same as Sony's download, with fades between tracks and missing banter. The difference is that it's better organized and the sound is boosted a wee little bit. I recommend it absolutely without hesitation.

Until Sony / Dylan correct their mistake by releasing it on hard media themselves.

The Ole' Rocker, bobcat, Buda and 2 others like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

+1

Spadeygrove and Mitchum like this.
  14. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

It has been discussed before but might be tough to search...

For what it's worth, this 1965 live copyright set does have a bunch of between song chatter cut out.

Daveymoore likes this.
  15. Tippy

Tippy Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is a huge Dylan fan, so he's loaned me various things over the years to listen to, and I am no expert I will make this statement unequivocally:

Regarding this box set, the "Visions of Johanna" from May 16, 1966 is the greatest version of the song ever. :)

psychtrailmix likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

I was just going to ask why folks in the USA are already pre-ordering from the amazon.uk. Is this why? You guys think the price will actually be less from amazon.uk?

17. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

Cheers, good enough for me, I'll order it.

18. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

Have they changed the audio on that video clip? I certainly don't hear anything that sounds like Tell Me Momma, just a slightly slower/swing-ier folk rock instrumental with harmonica. And the chord change doesn't match. (Nicely recorded and mixed in stereo, but sounds almost *too* studio-ish, also.)
    I'm not having it that they rearranged the song so radically.

EDIT: found it, by going to the Vevo panel.
    And what a thrill to hear some a new version of this gem....

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    Lars1966 likes this.
  19. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

As a supplement last year's Cutting Edge box set, the 1965 lossy copyright dump, and this year's 1966 Live box set, I'd like to recommend that people also pick up the following press conferences (on DVD and CD):

On DVD:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Dylan-Speaks-Legendary-Conference-Francisco/dp/B000ION7C6

And on CD:

[​IMG]

1. San Francisco Press Confrence: December 3, 1965 - Bob Dylan
    2. The Los Angeles Press Confrence: December 16, 1965 - Bob Dylan
    3. Martin Bronstein Interview, Montreal: February 20, 1965 - Bob Dylan

https://www.amazon.com/Classic-Inte...id=1474990097&sr=1-4&keywords=dylan+interview

20. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

The prices usually are lower from there...

But I would worry about it getting beat up in transit, and what a mess it would be to return.

I'll wait for a US outlet to order. The extra few bucks will be worth my peace of mind.

George P likes this.
  21. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

scroll down a bit

JohnS likes this.
  22. Richard--W

Nice post mikeja75, thanks for the reminders.

23. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

So preorders can be cancelled at anytime and I would say that non-US amazon sites tend to be cheaper even with additional shipping is included. Personally, I would say that most of my new boxed set purchases have come from amazon.co.uk versus the US version.

JL6161 and George P like this.
  24. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

First, to echo what others have said, many thanks to our harbingers of good news, @Mbd77 and @keef285 -- you certainly prepared us well for this bonanza.
    Second, here's to @hollowhorn -- thinking about you this week, our good friend. :cheers:
    Third, thanks to @olsen for letting the cat out of the bag more than forty years ago...hehehe. :cheers:

Fourth, to Louie...Slackjaw...Weak-Knees Willie...Badger...and Dynamite Bill -- the bank heist is off. :whistle:

Finally, I just realized that Bob tipped us off about this set with the lead-off track on his last album:

Fairy tales can come true, it can happen to you

25. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Yes, if you are in the US ordering from Amazon UK, it comes out to $117 US. That's pretty killer.
    3 pounds for shipping.. where Amazon US charges like $7-8 to ship one damn CD.