Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. The Reasoner

The Reasoner Forum Resident

Disc 9 is interesting:

CD 9 -Bristol, May 10, 1966
    (Soundboard / audience)
    1. Fourth Time Around
    2. Mr. Tambourine Man
    3. She Belongs to Me
    4. Vision of Johanna
    5. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
    6. Desolation Row
    7. Just Like a Woman

Did he do the acoustic set in a different order that night? "Jewels and Binoculars" has it as an audience tape in the "normal" order.

2. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

Supposedly so, yes (I've not compared the existing tapes, but RAH night 1 is apparently superb). It's also new mixes for both shows, so the sound quality will potentially be an improvement over BS4.

Bonddm likes this.
  3. The Bard

The Bard Highway 61 Revisited. That is all.

Infinity is indeed going upon trial.
    Specifically, the infinity of my wife's patience.

4. Tom Schreck

Looks like they split it up, then, to have the soundboards up front and the audience tape later on the disc. I'll end up fixing that in my iTunes! :)

5. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

6. Thanks - though the previously released 5/26 "Visions of Johanna" is tremendous, I'm referring specifically to the final 5/27 acoustic set. Other than a somewhat stilted "Fourth Time Around", there's a certain ethereal, world-weary quality to these performances that is absolutely transporting. Dylan was obviously running on fumes at this point, but somehow he pulled something out of himself here that is just amazing. The late Paul Williams' Performing Artist book does a wonderful job of describing these singular performances in detail...

7. I've had tapes of RAH night 1 for decades and yes, it is indeed absolutely superb. I'm looking forward to slinging the old tapes after all these years.

Bonddm likes this.
  8. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

suddenly unavailable at Amazon UK

9. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Amazon US is $ 3.99 which is the same as 3 pounds.

10. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Which is nuts since this is coming overseas.

I tried ordering a floor puzzle for my daughter from Amazon US last week. Puzzle was $8, shipping was $12. wth
    I barely use Amazon US anymore.

11. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Re-post from the other thread, liner notes from BS V.4, stating that four shows were recorded by Columbia in three-track stereo at 15 ips, and that the other "line" recordings from the tour were captured by the Nagra recorders at 7 1/2 ips.
    [​IMG]

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Puzzling.

13. Currently the No. 1 Bestseller in "Box Sets" on Amazon. Maybe they've sold out on pre-orders?

14. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

While not interested I think its outstanding that the Dylan camp continues to give fans what they want at an affordable price.

15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

It's the legacy of George Martin at work. Don't release anything that you're not really proud of. That 'polished' standard that you mention.

Something like Anthology, to the Threetles, is their big legacy block - a mix of audios and audio-visuals, quotes, and the book - made for the of the video-age and the then (1995) fledgling computer-equipped society. If not for that, the Beatles legacy might be wanting.

I really missed Derek Taylor not being around to write the Hollywood Bowl CD liner notes this time around.

All things must pass muster!

16. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

Yup. The last few box sets (from Johnny Cash to the Rolling Stones Mono box) have all been significantly cheaper from Amazon UK. Amazon UK also tends to raise their price a bit after the inital wave of preorders.

So now I always place a pre-order from Amazon UK or DE. If the US price ends up being similar, I will cancel my preorder and order from the US. Nothing much to loose really by preording.

So the difference of ordering from UK or DE is that the discs are pressed in the EU (if you care about that) also you risk damage to the box from internaltional shipping. Personally I would rather order from the US (faster shipping, easier returns if damaged, discs often pressed at DADC in Indiana), however seeing a consistent $50-150 price difference between the EU and US, I now put an early EU preorder in just in case. Also the last few big Columbia releases (Johnny Cash, Elvis, etc) were all made in the EU anyway. So only real difference between buying from Amazon UK or US was the price and shipping time.

On a side note, I have personally found Amazon DE to have better packing than Amazon UK as a general rule.

George P and bluesbro like this.
  17. Daveymoore

Daveymoore Forum Resident

It's Too Late to Stop Now! Started for me in 1969 with The Great White Wonder but I buy all the official releases also. Already ordered this 36 cd set and the vinyl RAH.
    This refers to the 4Shure 1965 release.

bobcat likes this.
  18. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

!!!!!Wow!!!!!!!!!!

I slept late, unavailable at amazon.uk. Didn't see it at amazon.us.
    Where do I go to buy this? I have cash and I can meet in a dark alley.

Has anyone merged the dates with the tracklists?
    It's a tedious but necessary task...

EDIT: I see Tom Schreck merged the info. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    bluesbro and HominyRhodes like this.
  19. captwillard

captwillard Forum Resident

Then if you click on the link, it should be available???

20. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

Another live recording from a 1960s rock icon? Check.

Not-so-impressive cover art we can complain about? Check.

Buda and rihajarvi like this.
  21. let him run...

let him run... Senior Member

Ok...but that's not what you said. But, CDs are 3.99 and if you bought the Dylan box from Amazon US the shipping would have been free. I usually use Amazon Marketplace. Often the marketplace has items from the UK, sometimes China or Japan. Even they are 3.99 shipping. Now, Amazon Canada have expensive shipping. But often they have some great deals. Not sure if it's still this price, but earlier this week the had the Beatles mono CD box for about $75. Crazy cheap!

22. Tom Schreck

I agree there should be more Fabs officially released, but they're different from Dylan:

1. Beatles studio outtakes are often less interesting than Dylan's, or works-in-progress. Dylan has a more improvisatory performance style, which means even the takes that break down are different and interesting. Beatles, on the other hand, were polishing and polishing (and, it should be noted, after the first few albums, using overdubs in ways that Dylan has never been comfortable with -- with building arrangements, like composers). The Beatles released album cuts and singles are always the definitive takes. I'm painting with a broad brush, yes, but the different approaches illustrate to me why unreleased Beatles material is often less interesting than unreleased Dylan.
    2. live Beatles always sound bad, 'cause of the screaming. I just can't take it for more than a few songs at a time. And proper sound reinforcement didn't really start to hit its stride until 1966 or so, by which time they were packing up their instruments and heading back to Abbey Road for good.
    3. Dylan's acoustic solo live material, in particular, almost always sounds great, 'cause it's just simply easier to prepare masters of acoustic performances that sound excellent, even from low quality tapes. Beatles have the Kinfauns demos that could be nicely cleaned up, but some of those are ROUGH and probably wouldn't help the Beatles' legacy much.

23. Beautifully sums up what I think should be quite obvious differences in priorities. Now back to ol' Bob!

24. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I can understand back in the day, but with everything available now, I don't see why any money should go into bootleg pockets. I don't buy the argument of "the boots put out a superior product". The product is Dylan's hard work, any effort by a bootlegger is minimal compared to the sheer amount of work Dylan has done to provide us with his music. Not trying to rag on you personally, just getting tired of people justifying how they keep feeding bootleg pockets.

jdw and John Rhett Thomas like this.
  25. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I have a minority opinion (I think) on the bootleggers (negative) but I see the value in discussing them in relation to what Sony is prepping for official/legitimate release. The bootleg boosterism, on the other hand...it can get a little cloying. It's getting indistinguishable from free advertising. Just putting that out there for anyone who cares. Or doesn't.