Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

2. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

The picture on the website is blurry, but the packaging looks very compact.

If Manchester is being included it would be nice if the first half was unedited this time. There's probably not much chance of that happening though-so if the other acoustic sets are unedited (or only slightly edited), Manchester will be the only one that's heavily edited. Or maybe they've all been heavily edited as well. It's probably safe to assume that at least some tuning up/talking between songs has been removed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  3. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Comparing with Cutting Edge on amazon (about 1 year after release):

List $150
    Prime new $98
    3rd party new $89
    Warehouse used $65

Obviously prices have gone up and down since then, but I don't know if I have the patience and self-control to wait this one out.

4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well it's back up there and I re ordered it. Here is the link:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LXC8X05/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

I honestly thought this was another 'copyright' issue, but hell what do I know now that it's back.
    But for 36 cd's, I'm gettin the dang thing.
    the beave

rogermcnally and EddieMann like this.
  5. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Gotta say, I like the t-shirt! Probably not enough to shell out $34 to get one with an extraneous copy of RAH, but I do like it.

6. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I'm still digesting the 6-CD Cutting Edge!

Rickchick, SteveM, Mr. H and 2 others like this.
  7. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

That's not accurate. For RELEASED recordings after 1963, the copyright is 75 years (in the EU). For unreleased recordings after 1963, the period of copyright remains 50 years. If the owner wants to retain the copyright, he/she/they need to release (or otherwise "publish" or "make available" the unreleased recordings before the 50-year deadline.

In the case of the "Live 1966" box, the Manchester show (released in 1998), is covered by copyright through 2073, and the other stray live '66 tracks that have already been released somewhere (b-sides, Biograph) are similarly under copyright. Sony and Bob Inc. needed to (well, WANTED to) extend the copyright of all the '66 tapes that HADN'T been released yet -- hence, this set. All the tracks receiving their first release on this box will therefore be under copyright in the EU through 2091.

Bottom line: This is the "Copyright Extension Collection: 1966" but it was deemed too commercially viable for a back-door, no-publicity release, so we're getting a mainstream release. I'm surprised that they've included the audience tapes, but I suppose they decided that it was just cheaper to throw them into this box than to prepare a separate "Copyright Dump" release for those few tapes. I'm not as excited about this as I was about the Cutting Edge box, but for this price, it will be worth it just to hear every "Visions Of Johanna" recorded on that tour. I'm in.

8. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

That's my problem right now. I quite like the shirt, but I'm not hot on the extra price at BD.com. If they were selling the vinyl with the shirt, I'd be all over it!

9. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

I've barely touched it! :hide: Still, unless the Grim Reaper knows something I don't, there's plenty of time eh?

10. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Every time something big like this comes out, I try to find stuff in my collection that I don't mind getting rid of just to help fund/create space/justify my purchase. I spent most of last month clearing space/money/my mind for the Pink Floyd box.

Buda likes this.
  11. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I'm on board with this idea!

12. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

They'll probably have vinyl bundles in a bit. Amazon had December something on the LP release date since it'll hit the streets first on Black Friday.

13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I can only guess by giving my preferred reasoning on the matter: They view collections like Live '66 as qualitatively different from a curated collection like your average Bootleg Series. And I like it that way. It gives Bob Co. more flexibility in how and when and at what cost they dole out Bob's archives.

The Bootleg Series will likely remain a thematic, curated study of Bob's studio and live material. Collections like Live '66 are a little too overwhelming and unwieldy for the Bootleg Series mandate. I think we all agree that The Cutting Edge was conceptually amazing, but that was such a special case I doubt you'll see the Bootleg Series try to fashion something like it in size (literal size, I mean), scope and price point for the general market. As awesome as it was, I think it was pushing the boundaries of what the Bootleg Series brand is set up to do.

"Complete live" series, or whatever it's branded as, can sort of create its own identity...probably dictated around the demands of the copyright dumps. I seriously doubt we'll see anything replicating this from Bob until 1974+50 forces Sony's hand, unless in that time period we get boxes for any or all of 1962-1965. But once 1974 rolls around, this'll probably be the template. And I hope so!!!

14. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

2025 is gonna be a fun year, and I may even still be alive for it!

notesfrom likes this.
  15. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

.....wow what a bonanza......i remember in the 80's paying 25 sheckles for a horrendous sounding boot of a '66 show, it sounded like it was recorded from the parking lot with a walkie talkie...

16. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Not really blurry http://static.musictoday.com/store/bands/4065/product_600/Y4CDBD63.jpg

OobuJoobu likes this.
  17. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

They're extending the copyright of each individual song RECORDING, not that songs themselves -- that's song publishing, a different thing.
    I think that Bob's camp wants the Bootleg Series to be more carefully crafted -- "curated" is their term -- and they are slowly building a parallel "alternate career" that could arguably equal up to his standard canon. While the scope of the Bootleg Series campaign has definitely evolved over the years -- the exorbitant third CD for BS8, the deluxe set for BS10, the complete magilla for BS11, and the "kitchen-sink" edition of BS12 -- they're still trying to present only the highest-quality vault material under this banner. The other stuff that they release either quietly (Copyright Extension sets), or more widely (Gaslight, Brandeis, Live 1966) doesn't quite reach that level for them, so they are not "Bootleg Series" releases. And yes, "Live 1966" will contain some of his most amazing performances, but in total it is arguably overkill, and Sony/Bob are happy to let BS4 represent the 1966 tour within the Bootleg Series family.

18. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

A good explanation here. The Bootleg Series has really evolved into something else entirely over the last few years, so it might be good to take a break so the project can get back to its basics. In the meantime, the "complete sessions"-type sets can begin taking a different, more specialized role. The tiered release of Cutting Edge was confusing for just about everyone!

19. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

8 years is a long time to wait if there is product to sell, though. If this box meets or exceeds Columbia's expectations, I'd like to think we could see other large live sets (Gospel Tours, 1978, Never Ending Tour, etc.) even if not necessarily complete tour documents.

rogermcnally likes this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

So, for this upcoming 2CD Real RAH set, looks like they will release only one of the two RAH concerts. So which one do we think? The last one, the one from the 27th?

21. psychtrailmix

psychtrailmix Forum Resident

I just love seeing these shows being released.. and in a nice, official box set with booklet. I think the 1965 acoustic shows are amazing and warrant the same treatment as this box, rather than the dump 320K MP3 exclusive download thing they did... But to put it all in perspective, it's amazing that we're even getting all this stuff... so I can't complain!

22. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

It's May 26.

Kermit27 likes this.
  23. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I would love for the RAH set to be a "compiled" complete show with chosen takes from the two -- something to make it more like a "classic"-style live album and something that doesn't precisely duplicate what we are also getting in the full box.

Edit: just saw the previous reply. Oh well ...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
    George P likes this.
  24. George P

George P Notable Member

Interesting. I wonder why not the last one of the tour?

25. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I like the shirt too! Might have to pre-order cd/shirt combo although Im waiting for a vinyl bundle.