Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Agreed...and cd is the perfect medium for this - a 'hard copy' format but smaller and more durable than vinyl. The download fans scoff, but I do think cd has matured and found its home as the multi-disc box set collector's medium.

Turmatic, SteveM, Marc Perman and 8 others like this.
  2. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

Up to page 5 now...

Lot's of negative comments on the artwork. Seriously? I had an immediate POSITIVE reaction to it, especially when seeing the full unboxed display. The newspaper design is simple, effective, topical, visually pleasing...what's not to like? Hopefully someone agrees with me here.

3. bubba-ho-tep

bubba-ho-tep Resident Ne'er-Do-Well

For the record, I have another 3 or 4 bills set aside for Sony just in case they decide to release the '62-64 copyright sets. Come on, Sony. You know you want to....

[​IMG]

4. inspiracy

inspiracy Senior Member

HominyRhodes likes this.
  5. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

6. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered mine. I just wish it wasn't coming out the same day as the Pink Floyd box.

These November releases each year kill me.

Richard--W likes this.
  7. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Has it been confirmed if all the discs on the set are in Mono? All of the discs in the one photo of the box are shown as being mono...maybe it's safe to assume that it's mono unless the tapes come from CBS?

8. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Seriously? Elitist? iTunes will have all the tracks available so you can buy a song or two or whatever you can afford. :crazy:

9. dbacon

dbacon Forum Resident

Agree....nice color pic of Bob on each sleeve....booklet....nice box that will fit on a shelf. Well done

The Bard likes this.
  10. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Amen to that.

The Bard likes this.
  11. bubba-ho-tep

I think I'll stick with my Amazon UK order for now. We here in Texas get hit for sales tax so the live box would currently run me over $160 versus $117 via Amazon UK. Perhaps it's time to start a price watch thread....

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I respectfully disagree. I may be in the minority around here, but I have no use at all for physical media. I would much rather have a nice book and a download of lossless files. My discs will be touched exactly once each as they get ripped and will then sit in the box on a shelf collecting dust.
    Take the cd cover photos and put them in a larger format book.

supermd, Buda, Lars1966 and 3 others like this.
  13. mikeja75

mikeja75 Forum Resident

Done.

I created a Pricing and Shipping thread here: Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Pricing & Shipping Thread »

14. bubba-ho-tep

15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

It appears that those CD slipcases are made to look like the original tape boxes. I would love to get images of all the original paperwork/engineering notes/song lists from these recordings, and even some photos of the reels. It may seem a little weird, but I love that kind of historical documentation.

16. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

At this price, if people get this from bit torrent rather than buy it, they're ___ers.

supermd, SteveM, zobalob and 8 others like this.
  17. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

So slip cases and sleeves or are they the same thing? Cant tell...

18. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

For some reason I can't edit the bad formatting of the reply quote above. I blame the hubris of my comment! :)

19. joannenugent

joannenugent Forum Resident

I must say I am rather confused by your post. I can understand your sentiments if you were discussing the $650+ Bootleg Series Vol. 12 Collectors Edition...but this release is listed at $150 for 36 discs...which works out $4 per disc at list price. Wait a year or so, or for one of those Barnes & Noble 40% off coupons and I am sure you will be able to get it for something like $70....which works out to something like $2 a disc...I am really not sure how much cheaper they could possible release this set.

And as with all the Bootleg Series, there is the 2 disc set as well, which you already mentioned you planned to get, so I am not sure how this is different than the standard Bootleg Series issue that comes in the 2 disc and 6 disc flavor. Only difference is this comes in a 2 disc and a 36 flavor, for comparable prices right?

I guess your biggest complaint is you can't pick and choose which 2 CD set to get from the 36, but isn't that the same with the Bootleg Series - you can't choose which 2 discs to get from the 6 disc set or the 18 disc set.

Anyway, who knows, maybe this will be issued on iTunes or something and you can purchase whatever songs you like. Although at $1 per mp3 song vs $2 per CD (with a bit of shopping and patients), I am not sure that is the better buy.

20. Mitchum

I can't even begin to fathom how one could complain about the size and price of this Set.

Just makes zero sense to me.

But it's clear that you will never get everyone to be happy with a release at this point.

SteveM and jdw like this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Does everybody from USA really buy direct from Amazon USA? Sometimes amazon has best price, but most often other suppliers, either on Amazon marketplace or other websites are much cheaper...this one might have best price from amazon itself, but probably not. The high prices on amazon are not for shipping, but their sale prices themselves...they depend on customers being unwilling to buy from Marketplace dealers

hodgo likes this.
  22. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

In the picture, if I'm reading correctly, we see these:
    1. CD1, Sydney, April 13, 1966 (Soundboard recorded by TCN 9 TV Australia)
    2. CD4, Copenhagen, May 1, 1966 (Soundboard)
    3. CD32, White Plains, NY, February 5, 1966 (Audience tape)
    4. CD5 or CD6, Dublin, May 5, 1966 (Soundboard)
    5. CD15 or CD16, Leicester, May 15, 1966 (Soundboard)
    6. CD 33 -Pittsburgh, PA, February 6, 1966 (Audience tape)

Unless I'm wrong, all six of these above shows have mono sources, but some others were entirely or partially sourced from the "CBS Records recording" source, which was a three-track setup. I imagine the discs that are "CBS Records recording" could very well be mixed stereo, but I also wouldn't be upset with mono versions of all.

rmura, DmitriKaramazov and Rne like this.
  23. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

HA! When I ordered my deluxe edition of Lewisohn's Tune In from the U.K., it came bouncing into my house inside of a mail sack lol. Pretty beat up of course.

24. Mitchum

I'm waiting for Best Buy to put up their listing and see what they are gonna sell it for.

If anyone sees their listing, please post it.

25. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

If someone really wants something they are going to find a way believe me.