Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

I've ordered Never Mind the Bollocks super deluxe from amazon.uk a few years ago, and it arrived packed in a used Dole pineapple box held together with rubber bands. Somehow there was no damage but I hope packaging has improved.

supermd likes this.
  2. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I don't know that, and that's exactly what I'm arguing for.

3. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

Pearl Jam and other artists have.

4. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

One can pass books on to relatives or friends through their wills, can't do that with digital book accounts.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  5. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

In recent years those Pearl Jam live show CD releases have been CD-R's which can be made on demand if needed.

6. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

I'd probably buy more than one of these 1966 Dylan shows given that option.

7. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Cd-Rs for Pearl Jam though.

Unless you buy them,in a big box set. Then they're pressed CDs. Just like the Bob Dylan one. :agree:

8. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

I wouldn't pay for a cd-r in a million years.

9. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

Agree 100%, and if ever an archival collection warranted a complete, physical media release, the Dylan/Hawks live recordings from 1966 is "it."

I don't plan on gulping down all these shows in one marathon listening session, or quickly wading through them to pick out the "best" performances. I hope to listen to each show individually, maybe one per night, until I've heard them all.

10. Davmoco

Davmoco Forum Resident

At the expense of buying other albums that I'd listen to more given a limited music budget. As much as I don't like streaming given how little the artists are paid, I guess that will be the most valid option for most people, me included.

11. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Ah...the lost art of listening to "an album".

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Me neither. It's like paying for sex.

13. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

14. clausclaus

clausclaus Forum Resident

Oh, yes they will...

15. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

I agree. Let's not look this gift horse in the mouth.

16. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

There is nothing to complain about here unless one is nit-picker in the extreme.For those who feels life aint fulfilled without cd-access to all these concerts it s a bargain
    Those of us who hesitate because if the sheer madness of this release we don t have to buy the thing
    Regardless of what opinion one have the generosity and greatness about Dylan-releases are amazing. So much great stuff.
    Even though this release is bordering towards overkill

17. I think the pricing is a response to complaints about the limited Cutting Edge mega-set. It's a great deal at $150.

Order now before Sony changes their mind.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  18. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Interesting to think that we now have EVRYTHING Bob Dylan recorded in the studio & live that still exists from 1962 to 1966 out there to listen to.

Unthinkable 20 years ago, maybe even 10.

19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Pretty close, but the 1963 studio sessions were not offered up, except for those that had been released/booted.

20. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

worrying, but it could be that the banter was a) truncated for the digital release or b) left out of the RAH set altogether. we'll see

those sleeves are absolutely gorgeous, i'd love to see larger individual versions of them. here's hoping someone at AAX scans the lot for our future digital libraries

IronWaffle likes this.
  21. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

I can even fathom that this could be a real possibility for other non-60s years. I seriously enjoy the 80s and I'm only in my late 30s so I have time (I hope... I need to start working out again)!

22. HominyRhodes

My very thought earlier today.

But I still want the 1961 outtakes!! :realmad: Probably never see the light of day now.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

So was that "backup" tape of the sessions for the first album offered for auction legit? Is it in private hands?

24. HominyRhodes

[​IMG]
    I'm still wondering about that.

Buda, Richard--W and RayS like this.
  25. Jbeck57143

Jbeck57143 Forum Resident

So "curated" may well mean heavily edited. Well, they do have a history of unnecessary editing, so it won't be surprising if this release is no different. It'll be like the Basement Tapes and The Cutting Edge (and other releases)--it's a shame about the editing, but what's there is great.

Buda likes this.