Bob Dylan: The 1966 Live Recordings - Sony 36-CD box-set - November 11th 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Richard--W, Sep 27, 2016.

1. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

That's way more verified-er, thanks.

HominyRhodes likes this.
  2. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I've been waiting since about, oh, 1979 or so.

3. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Already disappeared from amazon.uk. Limited release so grab it quick.

For me the words "audience recording, fragment and incomplete" appear to often in the listing. Have pre-ordered the double vinyl from amazon.uk for £18.30, decent price. That will suffice for me.

4. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Oh, and just to be clear, I pre-ordered it.

zobalob and HominyRhodes like this.
  5. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member

Sorry if this question has already been asked, but aside from the performance of Positively 4th Street in Australia, do any of the shows represented on this set deviate from the Manchester Free Trade Hall setlist? Also, I see that at least one of the discs includes soundcheck material. Does anyone know whether Dylan and the band soundchecked any new material during the 1966 tour?

My one gripe about this set is that I wish they had included a DVD of all the 1966 tour concert footage shot by D.A. Pennebaker.

6. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Thanks gentlemen. Not quite sure how I feel about this yet, as I really dig the stoned, hypnotic, otherworldly acoustic set from the 27th. I'm getting the big box, but I was thinking the 27th would be cool as an additional vinyl purchase.

Just a minor quibble. Either way, it's all good.

JL6161, timind and HominyRhodes like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

I can'r believe there's a real market for this release. Sure, there are a few people on sites such as this one, but how many out there in the real world?

I loves me some Dylan. But I can't see sitting through 36 discs.

George P likes this.
  8. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Exactly what I said to my Missus earlier (to tumbleweeds)

HominyRhodes likes this.
  9. HominyRhodes

Maybe it's not a fair comparison, but sorry, but some of the naysayers dropping by the thread today ("36 CDs? Same songs over and over?") remind me of these guys:

10. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm happy for all of you live Dylan fans!

11. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

I guess they went with "fiery" instead? Or maybe it came down to which one had the best recording quality? Interesting to consider how these decisions might be made. As soon as we got the hint last week that there would be one show released separately on LP, everybody instantly knew it was one of the two RAH's, though.

I'm with you on liking the stoned, trippy thing -- it's why I love Sydney so much even with the wind issue.

12. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  13. Lars1966

Lars1966 Forum Resident

Isn't this in the foyer of the Sheffield venue where you can hear this amazing music through the doors? Strange to think that 50 years afterwards we'll get the chance to listen to what these guys chose to miss out on.

14. Mitchum

Mitchum Well-Known Member

Last year they sold out 5,000 Copies of a 18CD Set for $600 + Tax a pop.

You don't think there is a market for 36 CDs at $150?

Think again...

15. HominyRhodes

That's right. Although some people expected/feared(?) that they might just re-release the vinyl edition of Bootleg Series V. 4.

Lars1966 likes this.
  16. Jack

Jack Senior Member

17. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

18. It's not limited. It's been appearing and disappearing all day.

eelkiller likes this.
  19. jdw

jdw Senior Member

Somebody wrote:
    Thinking about buying the 4 Shure 1965 set to go with this new release. As it uses the download that came with the Cutting Edge Collector's Set...

The same thing goes for a few people here that have said they won't buy the Sony 36 CD 1966 set because they're happy with their 1966 bootlegs. That's just wrong. And after November 11, it's record piracy...

20. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Yeah, that's as cheap and fast as I need this thing to be. Plus Bullmoose are nice people.

21. Almost Simon

Are we clear on this as Paul Sinclair, the guy who runs the Superdeluxeedition website is suggesting its limited:

Bob Dylan / The 1966 Live Recordings / massive 36-disc box set | superdeluxeedition »

"I have it under good authority that these boxes will be very limited, so if you’re genuinely interested then best advice is don’t hang around."

22. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Limited to how many Sony can sell.

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

It's my opinion = is that OK with you?

You and others think it's a great idea. I disagree.

24. Almost Simon

I guess, just intrigued why the comment has been made. I don't like it when its not qualified, im not scaremongering, just posting whats been said on a reputable UK site. Interested to find out though.

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

If 5,000 copies is a market, then I'm wrong. I don't consider that much of a market.