List of Hendrix tracks with Buddy Miles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JasonA, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident Thread Starter

Inspired by the recent Jimi Hendrix: Machine Gun release discussed in the other thread, it got me to thinking: what all Hendrix material has Buddy Miles played on? Lots of Buddy bashing in the Machine Gun thread, but to me the latter phase of of Hendrix' music is the most interesting.

I love the blend of funk and rock, would love to further explore Hendix/Miles releases. I'm not a hardcore Hendrix fan, but I do have the other 2 Band Of Gypsys albums from 1970 and 1999. What other officially-released material should I seek out? Is there anywhere online that lists out all of the Hendrix studio tracks that Miles played on? As vast as Jimi's catalog is, I'm only interested in official releases, no bootlegs please.

2. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

Buddy bashing? I won't even read any of that! I saw the Buddy Miles Express when Buddy and Company opened for Jimi in Winterland in 1968 and the Express was a massively powerful freight train to all skulls present that night. Mighty awesome performance!

BDC, kees1954, OneStepBeyond and 5 others like this.
  3. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well I found this on Wikipedia:

• Electric Ladyland: drums on Rainy Day, Dream Away and Still Raining, Still Dreaming (1968)

• The Cry of Love: drums on Ezy Rider (1971)

• Rainbow Bridge: drums and vocals on Earth Blues and Room Full of Mirrors (1971)

• War Heroes: drums on Izabella (1972)

• Loose Ends: drums and vocals on Blue Suede Shoes, Burning Desire, and Born A Hootchie Cootchie Man (1974)

• Crash Landing: drums and vocals on Message to Love and Power of Soul (1975)

• Nine to the Universe: drums on Message from Nine to the Universe and Young/Hendrix (1980)

• People, Hell and Angels: drums and vocals on Earth Blues, Somewhere, Hear My Train A Comin, Bleeding Heart, Let Me Move You, and Hey Gypsy Boy (2013)

• Band Of Gypsys (1970)

• Live At The Fillmore East (1999)

turnersmemo likes this.
  4. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I also saw The Buddy Miles Express with Jim McCarty on guitar and it was a great show. Granted that Buddy liked to hog the spotlight whenever he could, bit his drumming (and Billy Cox's bass) brought a new dimension to Jimi's music. YMMV, but I liked the BAnd Of Gypsys. I still hold out some hope for a commercial release of more of the Box Of Gypsys material.

BDC, kees1954, the sands and 3 others like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Baggy's Rehearsal Sessions on Dagger Records/EH were rehearsals for the BOG shows.

Blues - "Born Under a Bad Sign", "Mannish Boy", "Once I Had a Woman", "Bleeding Heart"

Hep Alien, BDC and JasonA like this.
  6. Picture Snatcher

Picture Snatcher Forum Residents

Doriella Du Fontaine

Hep Alien, gramfan and fluffskul like this.
  7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Miles also appears on some tracks on the Jimi Hendrix Experience and West Coast Seattle Boy boxed sets.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have stated numerous times that I could not understand why Experience Hendrix did not release a disc of the studio tracks that Jimi cut with the BOG line up.

Hep Alien, BooOh, kees1954 and 4 others like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues: Jimi Hendrix - Blue Window

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Wouldn't that basically be Baggy's ? That lineup was very short-lived.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not exactly because those were recorded rehearsals for the BOG shows and not official studio recordings. In addition, there are quite few tracks that were not played at the Baggy's rehearsals that were officially recorded and released. There were also more songs and versions rehearsed at Baggy's that are not included on the Dagger Records release.

I burned my own cdr somewhere of the officially released BOG studio recordings.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Hep Alien likes this.
  12. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

If you have the inclination, we'd love to see the complete list!

And are there any tracks the BOG did in studio that hasn't been released by EH at this point?

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Miles also appears on the Dagger Records/EH releases Morning Symphony Ideas and Burning Desire.

Hep Alien likes this.
  14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have a bootleg somewhere of the Baggy's rehearsals and if I remember correctly they also rehearsed Who Knows, Machine Gun and Stepping Stone. The version of Little Drummer Boy - Silent Night - Auld Lang Syne also comes from Baggy's. They also supposedly rehearsed the cover of Stop as well.

I am sure there are probably some instrumental songs and more alternate versions of songs already officially released still in the vaults and maybe some others that I cannot recall at the moment.

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

The first rap lp!

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is the cdr of BOG studio tracks that that I burned. I don't recall the sources for each track but they come from the lists above. I put a couple of Baggy's tracks on it to fill the disc and all of the tracks have vocals.

Hear My Train A Comin'
    Bleeding Heart
    Room Full Of Mirrors
    Ezy Ryder
    Earth Blues
    Message To Love
    Burning Desire
    Them Changes
    (I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man
    Lover Man
    Mannish Boy
    Stepping Stone
    Izabella
    Astro Man
    Once I Had A Woman
    Power Of Soul

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Hep Alien, kees1954 and JasonA like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

For live recordings, aside from BOG, Buddy plays on "Dear Mr Fantasy on the Paris 1967/San Francisco 1968 release. And on the latter part of the infamous March 1968 Scene Club jam with Jim Morrison.

Hep Alien likes this.
  18. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Buddy Miles on Stepping Stone/Izabella>than Mitch Mitchell's takes on the same tunes :hide:

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I have been making my own BOG studio compilations since the 70s.
    Maybe because of the interest (success!) with the Machine gun live album they might consider it, with an unreleased jam or two to add interest.
    Can you hear me Janie, Eddie & John?!

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It wasn't an LP, just a 12" and it was faked-up by Alan Dougles!
    On the 2011 re-release, we found out what actually happened. In 1969, Jimi and Buddy Miles were jamming. Jimi added some bass guitar and Buddy Miles some organ but it stopped there. Then in 1973, Alan Douglas called up Lightnin' Rod of The Last Poets to add vocals.

Hep Alien and gramfan like this.
  21. Picture Snatcher

Hey what was on the 2011 release that revealed this?

22. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

The "unDouglasized" track.

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. Picture Snatcher

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

What is "Baggys" ?

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Released on the EH/Dagger Records imprint, it is a disc of 1969 rehearsals for the BOG shows. It also does not contain the complete rehearsal sessions.

Hep Alien and Jimi Bat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.