XTC - Oranges & Lemons Blu-ray - clarification

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by neil wilkes, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Thank you for your answers.
    My LG player is also a cheap one. I will give it try. Fingers crossed ;)

Bonddm likes this.
  2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Is it just the OPPO its having playability problems?

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Not for me. The surround mix sounds phenomenal--it's really given me a new appreciation for the album because the arrangements are so elaborate. I'm sorry for the people who have experienced technical difficulties because this BR is a treat. I can't wait to get Skylarking.

alexpop likes this.
  4. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

My understanding is that OPPO doesn't have playability problems.

alexpop likes this.
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So what brands/Models has the issue?

6. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

There isn't a list. Afraid you'll have to read the thread.

7. seg763

seg763 Forum Resident

I bought this late last year and left it sealed for a rainy day. Well after happening upon this thread yesterday I opened my copy in a panic and put the Blu-Ray in my Oppo 93 with baited breath. The disc does work without any issues.
    The mixes seem quite different than my 1989 cd, even the "flat transfer of original album mix" sounded slightly different than what I'm used to.

8. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

Just to inform you that the latest XTC - Skylarking bluray does indeed play on a PS3 .

bradman, jamesc, fredblue and 4 others like this.
  9. Gregory Sandoval

Gregory Sandoval Forum Resident

This is good news, I will probably place an order if if this is corroborated. This is also a fairly tacit admission that the problem with the O&L disc was indeed a mastering issue obviously.

10. Vinylsoul 1965

Vinylsoul 1965 Senior Member

New to the party...just picked this up and playing the stereo high resolution portion on a Samsung blu ray from 2009 and it sounds SO good. Can't wait to listen during the day tomorrow on the upstairs 5.1 system. Wilson did a great job at highlighting the best that was on the multis and making it sound rich. Love the bass content on this!!!!

DaverJ likes this.
  11. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Such a shame that the O&L problem is such a stain on this whole series.
    They should just bite the bullet and re-master it.
    Maybe they will ... when they release a complete box set many years from now.

12. sheph

sheph New Member

I can confirm that as of today, my PS3 still does not play the Oranges and Lemons disc. I pre-ordered it last year, and filed it away thinking Sony would update the firmware. However, a year later I'm wondering if it's not some other issue being that it's not just PS3 consoles that experience the problem, and Sony hasn't issued an update. I emailed Burning Shed this morning and am waiting for a response. I understand that Andy, Ape, and Burning Shed aren't the ones making the discs, but I'm hopeful that we'll be able to find a resolution. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the way it was manufactured. I have Drums and Wires, and Nonsuch in the Blu-Ray format. Both of them play fine and they're both region free. I have Skylarking on order and I saw that others haven't had this problem on the PS3.

kouzie likes this.
  13. oh1

oh1 Forum Resident

I gave up waiting and purchased a Samsung bluray player a couple of months back.
    If the PS3 does receive an update that allows Oranges And Lemons to play it probably won't be by design. The whole issue has been swept under the carpet after the initial shared concerns.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    kouzie likes this.
  14. LarryT

LarryT Forum Resident

Anyone get their new Skylarking?
    Any issues yet?

15. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

I got mine w/ signed card a couple days ago - but have been out of town and busy to do a close examination. I imported the CD lossless in iTunes and gave a quick listen to a few tracks, and there's a fairly big difference in this remix to discuss.

Looking forward to getting some time to try the BD on the Oppo.

16. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

According to the Skylarking thread there are no issues, it plays fine.

17. sheph

sheph New Member

I can confirm. I received Skylarking today and it plays fine in my PS3.

18. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i'm very angry. because i've just bought it and i couldn't read it on my xbox one. if only i had read it before bying!

19. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

does anybody if there is the same problem with the yes bluray please??,

20. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Which Yes blu-ray are you asking about? The Yes Fragile blu-ray is also known to have issues (see link below). I would guess that any subsequent Yes blu-rays, released since Fragile, would also have problems, if the root cause is due to something like authoring software/process changes and devices that haven't kept pace with those changes.

YES’s ‘Fragile’ Remixed and Remastered in 5.1 Surround & Stereo Mixes - out 30th Oct

Craig.

veloso2 likes this.
  21. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

thanks a lot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.