Ash vs Evil Dead TV Series Review

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kippy, Nov 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Yep.

slipkid likes this.
  2. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I believe Episode 1 was an hour; subsequent episodes are 30 minutes.

3. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved the series.

It's already been renewed for next season.

4. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

That was a pretty cool story though.

5. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I burned through this first season at the end of last month and am really looking forward to season 2. As my buddy put it, as the season goes on, it gets gorier and gorier, and Kelly gets hotter and hotter.

sixtiesstereo and slipkid like this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Having Lee Majors play Ash's father is perfect. Thanks to this excellent series, we're also getting a new line of action figures.

[​IMG]

ubiknik, Lownote30 and mj_patrick like this.
  7. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

8. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

melstapler likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. Being a big fan of the Evil Dead films, I wished they would've made this show years ago. Better late than never and their timing couldn't have been better. This series has a great sense of humor and doesn't take itself too seriously, while offering a nice alternative to the politically correct formula of shows in the same vein as "Walking Dead," etc.

enro99 and mj_patrick like this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Good to have Ash back. He had some good lines. I couldn't get a clear look at Kelly's t-shirt - did it read "f**k the clock" or "f**k the glock"?

12. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I love Lucy Lawless.

13. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Thought the Season 2 premier was sensational. Bruce is really in top form as
    Ash right now. And maybe it's me, but both Kelly and Lucy Lawless seem to be even
    hotter this season.........

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  14. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

Very funny episode last night with a great guest appearance by Prince Albert. There's more slapstick this season then last.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  15. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

**** the clock

16. agentalbert

So far I'm enjoying this season more than the last. I thought S1 was okay, but a bit unsatisfying. The lady cop was a boring character and the whole segment at the survivalist compound was lame. I like that Ruby is with them now, and Ash's dad cracks me up. Were the Shemp's Beer signes in Ash's room a nod to the old Evil Dead movies? Wasn't Shemp the name for all the mini-evil Ash's?

That scene at the morgue was nasty!

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Believe it or not, I've read Bruce Campbell's book "If Chins Could Kill - Confessions of A B-Movie Actor":

https://smile.amazon.com/If-Chins-C...476189689&sr=8-1&keywords=if+chins+could+kill

If I recall correctly, Bruce and the Raimi boys are all big Three Stooges fans (pretty evident from Army Of Darkness for sure). In the book, Bruce describes whenever they needed a dummy to use in a scene (to be thrown out of a window from a large height, etc.) in their filmmaking, they always referred to those dummies as a "Shemp", as a nod to the Stooges. Shemp might have been the name for the mini-Evil Ash's as well. Regardless, there are a lot of Shemp references that pop up in their work.

melstapler and ex_mixer like this.
  18. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Nasty is putting it mildly. That whole scene was one of the most over the top things I've ever seen on
    television, plus it was hilarious. Gore, attacking intestines and a colon out to get Ash (with passing gas for
    good measure) is what this series is all about. Gotta love it........

19. agentalbert

Yeah, as soon as they made sure we got a few glances (from a distance) of the corpse's johnson with the big ring through it, I knew somehow that was going to figure in the mayhem to come.

Ash - "Oh no! I'm in the butt! I'm in the butt!"

LOL!

20. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

TX for the tip, I didn't know S2 had started already :righton:

21. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

It’s been good so far.

Is it just the UK version streamed on Virgin Media that has a highly compressed soundtrack? The supposedly loud bits are too quiet as the volume drops to the about the same volume as the dialogue. Some seriously unsubtle volume compression is going on. It robs the series of its balls if the violent bits are neutered. The first season was the same so it’s an ongoing choice someone has made to compress the volume.

22. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

It isn't compressed like that when I watch it On Demand through Comcast. The sound is pretty dynamic like a movie would be on the Starz network.

23. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I'm running a little behind. But the morgue scene was the most hilariously cringe inducing scene I've ever watched. I can't help but watch this show with a smile on my face.

24. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I haven't made it to the Season 2 finale yet so I can't comment on that episode. Looks like there could be changes in tone for Season 3 and probably not for the better.

UPDATED: Craig DiGregorio on leaving Ash Vs. Evil Dead and the original season two finale »

The morgue scene was one of the funniest, and most over-the-top scenes in the entire series, and to me was entirely consistent with the spirit of the films. It looks like they won't be going in that direction anymore.

Chris from Chicago and jhm like this.
  25. drgn95

drgn95 Under the Wire

I just found this on Netflix. What a hilarious show, never new about it till this week. I'm about five episodes in and have been a fan of AoD and Evil Dead.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.