Rich Robinson forms new band Magpie Salute with *four* ex-Black Crowes members

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Graham, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Graham

Graham Senior Member Thread Starter

Rich Robinson in a band with Marc Ford, Sven Pipien, Ed Harsch and Joe Magistro. Sounds familiar...

Just got this email:

Rich Robinson—singer-songwriter-guitarist and co-founding member of The Black Crowes—has announced the formation of THE MAGPIE SALUTE. It’s an exciting new band that brings together four key members of The Black Crowes—Rich, guitarist/vocalist, guitarist Marc Ford, keyboardist Eddie Harsch, and bassist Sven Pipien—with members of Rich’s own band: drummer Joe Magistro, keyboardist Matt Slocum, and backing vocalists Adrien Reju and Katrine Ottosen, along with some other friends.

THE MAGPIE SALUTE will be unveiled January 19 when they headline the Gramercy Theatre in New York, performing songs from The Black Crowes catalog, solo material from Rich and Marc plus “whatever else may materialize,” says Rich. Pre-sale tickets will be available October 19, followed by the general on-sale October 21: See link below and watch the video trailer here.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00005150D3CD36D9

“The name The Magpie Salute comes from a superstition based in the UK,” explainsRich about the band’s moniker. “There are many variations, but the version I’m drawn to is the belief that if you see a Magpie, you would do well to salute it “to ward off negativity, or to have a good day.” The way you salute the Magpie, based on some traditions is to say ‘Good Mornin' Captain.’ The reason we salute is to show we're unarmed, or what I like to say is ‘we come in peace.’ The Magpie falls within the Crowe umbrella of species, figuratively and literally. Magpies can be black and white which represents the light and the dark. I figured all of these things touch on many aspects of my life and this experience.”

Asked about THE MAGPIE SALUTE’s multiple players and singers, Rich says, “I wanted to try something different. I wanted to hear this music with two drummers, two keyboard players, and multiple singers. I, and everyone involved, love playing music. Not only on our own, in The Crowes and in my band, but playing music in general. We want to make music again together with a fresh perspective. To present this music I wrote in a different light with these amazing players is going to be really special to me.”

Will the Gramercy Theatre show have the songs and improvisational flights that The Black Crowes were famous for? “Absolutely, that's what we do when we get together,” says Marc. “Now the vocal position will obviously be different... it opens other places to go with different singers. The bottom line for me is that we love playing together; we have a respect for what we've done together and for all of the people that want to hear it.”

THE MAGPIE SALUTE marks the reunion of the Robinson and Ford guitar team. (Fordleft The Black Crowes after their fourth album and 1997 Further Festival tour.) “The Crowes have had their share of guitar players,” says Rich. “Each one has been really cool to play with and each one has brought their own unique playing to the band. That being said, I personally feel that Marc and I have a very deep musical connection. The way he and I played together on those records really showcases that musical bond. As I get older I realize what a gift it is to play with people with whom you share that language of music.” Reflecting about their deep musical connection, Marc says: “It's one of those things that was there before we met. Musically we were already family.”

The seeds were planted for THE MAGPIE SALUTE in August 2016 when Richperformed in Woodstock (New York) at Applehead Studio where he’s recorded his last three albums. “Sven Pipien has been playing with me on my current tour. So for fun I decided to invite Marc and Eddie from the original Crowes lineup to join us. It turned out to be such a cool, cathartic, and inspirational experience for us all. We all have such a strong musical connection from that band. Most importantly we all have a life's worth of family experience together. We've travelled the world together, seen a lot of far out experiences, playing with our heroes, emotional ups and downs, all wrapped within a very unique life experience, which is the thread that has always kept the connection together.”Marc says about the show at Applehead Studios: “The playing was an amazing second to seeing their faces.”

THE MAGPIE SALUTE chose NYC for their first show because, says Rich, “New York has always been really supportive of me and the Crowes. I thought it would be a great place to unveil this.”

Tor33rpm, Boo Rad, head_unit and 20 others like this.
  2. benjammin

benjammin Well-Known Member

Awesome news. Ford was also in the Crowes from 2005-8 as well I believe

jammincrowe and Matthew Tate like this.
  3. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I just got this email as well, hopefully a big tour and new music will come out of it.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Well, now we know who got the kids in the divorce. :laugh:

5. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Just saw this. Veeeery interesting

6. windfall

windfall Senior Member

That video clip is very enticing! The band sounds superb.

7. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Best of luck to Rich on this project, I'm glad to see some of these guys playing together again. Setting aside the personal issues, I've been on Team Chris more lately just because I really love the vibe he's got going with CRB - but I'd be glad to see Rich fronting a killer band too.

8. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Has anyone got the 10 inch vinyl Got to Get Better in a Little While that Rich released this year?

9. Graham

Is it the same version that's on the 2xLP reissue of Woodstock Sessions? I have that and it sounds great.

10. thewho

thewho Forum Resident

Excited to see this, hope more tour dates are announced soon!

11. windfall

windfall Senior Member

ah! it might be. Saw it on amazon. I will take a look at the Woodstock Sessions...

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Somehow I knew one person who was not included before I opened the thread.

13. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Intrigued. Would have been completely sold on it if Gorman was involved.

pexie, Dave Hoos, ianuaditis and 9 others like this.
  14. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Good for him, now let's see what they come up with.

15. Great to see all these ex Crowes working together again. I will definitely check them out. I loved Hookah Brown (saw them live in Cleveland) and I also enjoyed some of his other solo output. I believe he still has plenty in the tank!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Graham

2005-06

Well, Rich does say he wanted to hear how the music sounded with two drummers and the only percussionist mentioned is Joe Magistro so a Gorman appearance is possible (and they have form touring as a drumming duo with the Crowes from 2009-2011).

Hep Alien, Johnny Wong and Meyer like this.
  17. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

I'm so down with this and happy that Old Weird Ed is involved.

18. Graham

Thinking about this more - this is the 2005/06 band minus Gorman and Chris Robinson with others. I'm hoping for a Harsch/Slocum melding of keyboards like Ian Stewart/Ian McLagan with the Stones from 78-82.

And I really hope they do a guitar heavy version of Ford's Smoke Signals.

Hep Alien and painted8 like this.
  19. Who'sTommy

Who'sTommy Forum Resident

Interesting news. Looking forward to hearing more of this new band. But if I understand correctly, there will be different lead vocalists? Not sure how that'll work out..
    "Now the vocal position will obviously be different... it opens other places to go with different singers".

20. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Coulda just called the band '**** You Chris'

21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

I am guessing the different singers will be Rich and Marc.

jammincrowe and Who'sTommy like this.
  22. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I've been really happy to watch this unfold. Rich, Mark and Ed in the same band makes me so happy. Really didn't think this would ever happen again. I'm glad it's in a fresh light and hope they focus on their solo and post tbc work, and don't lean to heavy on the Crowes catalog.

23. FunkyNut

FunkyNut Forum Resident

Maybe next year...maybe 2 years from now, but a reunion of the classic line-up is coming...just a hunch.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Haven't been this excited about a 'new band' in a long while. Will be making road trips for sure. Doesn't get a whole lout better than when there's Rich and Marc on the guitars and Ed on keys. This has me more excited than a Crowes reunion because C-Robinson just thinks he's in The Grateful Dead which is why 'the rock' disappeared from their sound. These guys will likely be more Allman-esque.

25. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Very interesting. Hopefully this bunch will get over to the UK a damn sight quicker than CRB did.

But very good news.