Richmond Fontaine - You Can't Go Back If There's Nothing to Go Back To (2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Davey, Mar 5, 2016.

1. 420 Constellations

420 Constellations Well-Known Member

I registered after reading this thread just to thank @Davey for mentioning that 13 Cities is being finally issued on vinyl. What's even better is the amazing $87 and a Guilty Conscience EP is part of this.

Thirteen Cities is absolutely my favorite album of all-time. Willy sets the scene so vividly and coupled with Paul Brainard's pedal steel work this album astonishes on every listen.

By the way, if I had to rank RF studio albums.
    1) Thirteen Cities
    2) Winnemucca
    3) Post to Wire
    4) The Fitzgerald
    5) We Used to Think...
    6) You Can't Go Back...
    7) The High Country
    8) Miles From
    9) Lost Son
    10) Safety

I always considered Obliteration a compilation of sorts but I would pencil it in somewhere in the middle if I had to.

This has made my day!

Davey and Ernest T like this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: CLARAGUILAR ~ Figura (2024) Thread Starter

Glad you joined, the Richmond Fontaine fanclub used to be a pretty small group here, and, well... it still is, but getting bigger all the time (three pages in a RF thread, that by itself is pretty amazing :))! Too bad it's the end of the road for RF, but there's still a lot of fun stuff happening, like the great Thirteen Cities vinyl. Just a note for those of us not in the UK, Decor doesn't ship to the US (which was one of the reasons I initially held off on the Post To Wire vinyl, and almost missed the boat) so we'll have to find someplace else to get these, and hopefully they press enough to keep them around for while and get them to third party sellers.

3. 420 Constellations

420 Constellations Well-Known Member

Uh oh. I ordered it from Decor using Paypal with a US shipping address. It actually shows a drop down menu and allows for shipping to the U.S. I may have to contact them to ask if this is correct. Also, The Fitzgerald is available for preorder the same release day.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  4. Davey

Maybe it's OK then, some of the releases in the past said no US shipping, but that may have been because there was US distribution.

420 Constellations likes this.
  5. Davey

The blurb at Decor for Post To Wire is below, I guess they must've just had the restriction for that record, not sure why, sorry for the confusion. Looks like the shipping for Thirteen Cities makes is pretty costly though, even if ordered with The Fitzgerald, not really any break in shipping for both. Oh well ...

Richmond Fontaine - Post To Wire
    PLEASE NOTE: WE CANNOT SHIP THIS ITEM TO NORTH AMERICA

UNCUT voted it the number 4 album of 2004 and it topped polls across the globe, check out the masterpiece here.

1.The Longer You Wait 2.Barely Losing 3.Montgomery Park 4.(Walter's On The Lam) 5.Through 6.(Postcard from California) 7.Two Broken Hearts 8.Hallway 9.(Postcard Written With a Broken Hand) 10.Post To Wire 11.Polaroid 12.Always on the Ride 13.(Postcard Postmarked Phoenix Arizona) 14.Allison Johnson 15.Willamette 16.Valediction

The vinyl version comes with an exclusive 7” single

6. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Figured I'd share this with my fellow RF fans.

While searching for some RF on YT, I came across a song called Richmond Fontaine by a band called The Minus 5. The singer sounds a bit like Ray Davies.

I had never heard of these guys before but now I'm interested! here's a review of the album and a bit about the band.
    Of Monkees & Men - The Minus 5 | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic »

Sprocket Henry likes this.
  7. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Nice group, their colab with Wilco (Down With Wilco - recorded 2001, rel. 2003) is a great record - nice nexus for Wilco: coming off Summerteeth and Mermaid Ave Vol.2 with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot freshly recorded, but not yet formerly released. An interesting period.

Ernest T likes this.
  8. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

RF's final tour is now underway and I'm really looking forward to Friday nights' gig in London. Based upon the setlist from the Cork show last Friday, it should be a great show:

Richmond Fontaine Setlist at Cyprus Avenue, Cork »

Might even try to collar Willie after the show to find out if there's any news on the Delines next album!

Davey likes this.
  9. oxegen

oxegen Forum Resident

Good show in Dublin on Saturday night. Enjoy London!

Davey likes this.
  10. Davey

Just ordered the new vinyl issues of both Thirteen Cities and The Fitzgerald from Amazon UK for around $44 delivered to the US. Pretty good deal ... they may not ship until the end of the month based on the projected delivery date range, but no problem, the wait has been about 10 years already so a couple more weeks is no biggie :)

Order Summary
    Item(s) Subtotal:
    GBP 30.49
    Postage & Packing:
    GBP 4.07

Total Before VAT:
    GBP 34.56
    VAT:
    GBP 0.00

Grand Total:
    GBP 34.56
    Payment Grand Total:
    USD 44.08 **

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
    Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

I need to jump on these too.

12. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

I have and love both Thirteen Cities and the $87 EP so I decided to burn a CD with the vinyl track listing. Maybe because I've listen to 13 so many times but I think I'll stick to listening to them separately. I can't get past them putting a song(any song) between El Tiradito and A Ghost I Became, those two just seem to flow together so perfectly.

13. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Fantastic, final show from RF in London last night. The venue, The Electric Ballroom, has more than twice the capacity (1100 vs. 500) of the venue the band played earlier this year and it was pretty much full which was great to see.

We were treated to a set-list from across the years (well, as far back as Winnemucca) with personal highlights being A Night In the City, Post to Wire and a near acapella version of Lost in this World as the set-closer which had the hall in total silence (not bad given the number of people present!)

I was able to get Willie (a really nice bloke) to sign my copy of The Motel Life after the show and asked him about the status of the next Delines album and he confirmed that the album is basically done, but Amy Boone is still unable to walk after the car accident she was involved in back in March and this is preventing them continuing work on the album.

stefane, Ernest T and Davey like this.
  14. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Is this the show you were at?

Thankfully a lot of people have been uploading some great videos from this tour on Youtube.

a couple of recent articles I thought you guys might be interested in:
    Richmond Fontaine: ‘We’re ending the band while we all still like each other’ »

https://www.thelineofbestfit.com/features/articles/richmond-fontaine-farewell

craigobau likes this.
  15. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

16. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Band approved soundboard recording from their recent show in Copenhagen can be found here....

Fra kælderen ... »

Davey and Ernest T like this.
  17. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Well, RF played their final show Saturday night, was hoping to see a bunch of YT's but this is the only one I've seen so far. The audio is decent despite the video being mostly blue. If this is indeed from their last show, sounds like they went out with "Four Walls" and "Lost in this World."

18. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

19. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Just saw a post on The Delines FB page that they are returning to life in March 2017, starting with a festival appearance at the Treefort Festival in Idaho.

20. Davey

Hope that means Amy is getting better. Looks like a pretty cool lineup, with Emma Ruth Rundle and a ton of others ... can't say I know that many of the names beyond some of the bigger ones in the top few lines though, except The Delines and Emma, and a couple others ... guess it doesn't matter since that's too far away from me anyway :)

[​IMG]

21. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it seems that it's going to be a long wait until we see The Delines again based upon the update below today from their FB page. Clearly Amy is really struggling to recover from the road accident which was nearly 12 months ago which is very sad to hear:

"Hello from The Delines, It's a been a long while since we have posted anything and we wanted to give you an update. As you may know Amy was hit by a car and severely injured last April. She's had nine surgeries and unfortunately might need to have more. So, sadly, the band continues to be on hold.

We'd like to thank Amy's sister Deborah and her husband Rob for taking such great care of her all these months. They're true saints and tremendous nurses! We'd also like thank the ...good doctors of Austin, Texas for saving our gal.

We're hoping to get rolling again in late 2018. We know it's a long way off but rest assured Willy's writing stacks of tunes and we're all anxious to get The Delines back together. Please keep your fingers crossed for Amy and we hope to see you on the road before too long"

22. Ernest T

Ernest T Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. That's a shame about Amy and on a selfish note no new Delines for a couple years. Wonder what Willy is going to do with all those new songs? Sit on them, a new project, or maybe rethink ending RF?

23. craigobau

craigobau Forum Resident

Yeah, selfishly, it's a bit gutting to think it might be 2019 before we get any new Delines material. It wouldn't be so hard if we knew we had a quadruple album to look forward to as you're right, that's a big chunk of time for Willy not to be releasing songs with both RF and Delines not active.

Ernest T likes this.
  24. Davey

Thanks for the update. To be honest, I'd been checking the FB page occasionally for the last few months and was suspecting something must be really wrong since there were no updates on The Delines anywhere. Best wishes to Amy, hope she recovers faster than projected, they all seem like such great people, and the world needs more Delines music.

Now if I could just find out what has happened with Nina Nastasia the last few years, I suspect that won't be a happy story either ... still holding out hope that she comes back and makes a new record, man I miss her, such an amazing and talented person, and like RF, a string of records that I'll always cherish.

25. Sprocket Henry

Sprocket Henry Forum Resident

Thanks for the update - that's really unfortunate. I love the first album and I really dug the grab bag of the follow-up mini-album, which pointed to some interesting future possibilities.