Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

Saw Teenage Fanclub live in Madison last night - fantastic show! The vocals were a bit buried in the mix, but the new songs sounded great live, nice harmonies, old songs sounded great and had a blast. Talked to the guys afterwards, they happily signed all my LPs and CDs and we had a few laughs.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have yet to really get into their latest album "Here". Not much left of the rockers. They are sensible old men now. I'll play it again...

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Saw them last week here in Cleveland and they were great. It was Norman's birthday and an audience member in the front row bought the whole band shots of Makers Mark to celebrate!

Norman also mentioned that he bought his guitar (the natural wood Fender hollow body) in cleveland 24 years ago! Awesome!

As mentioned above, some of the vocals (ESPECIALLY Gerry's harmony parts but a couple of his lead parts as well) were REALLY far down in the mix. When I saw them in 2010 in Pittsburgh the harmony singing was SO astounding so I was a little disappointed in that.

But man, I would go see TFC every single day of the week if I could.

4. kouzie

kouzie Forum Resident

Caught Friday's show in Chicago and same comment about the vocals being buried (though they seemed to be pulled out about 1/3 way through the show).

5. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I just saw that "Here" reached #10 in the UK. Their highest chart position since "Songs From Northern Britain" in 1997 (#3). I'm playing it now.

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

And #34 on the Billboard Top Rock Albums, #18 on Vinyl Albums and #1 on Heatseekers Albums. Their highest since "Bandwagonesque" topped Heatseekers charts in the US in 1992.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

Great show in Philly..Star Sign for the encore :pineapple:

8. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident

the drums sound so timid and meek on the new record. he isn't a heavy hitter by any means but still. His Ludwig Vistalite kit he is using on tour in the US is a thing of beauty.

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

No 10. Very impressive for a band of their age putting out an album on their own label, with very little promotion. Especially when Shadows only made No 30. Great to see that happen.

Lightworker and BlueTrane like this.
  10. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Just my luck!! The Fannies are touring the U.S. while I am touring the U.K.! Get back here and find the furthest south they come is Michigan!
    One day, yeh!
    In the meantime playing 'Gene Clark' from 'Thirteen'!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  11. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Looking forward to seeing them in Camden tonght.

12. ToddH

ToddH Forum Resident

I ordered the original album classics box yesterday. I have been searching high and low in all my stores for a while now for Teenage Fanclub cd's or vinyl and come up empty except for forever young which has bandwagonesque and howdy but they want 8 bucks used which I won't pay for cd's.

So I ordered the box just to have the music and will continue my search for the original cd's. Is this set good?

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's marvellous!

ToddH likes this.
  14. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I saw them last week in L.A. at the Teragram Ballroom - they were fantastic of course! There are a number of good videos from the show. The person who shot this one was right up on stage:

Lightworker and ToddH like this.
  15. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Is it peculiar for one artist to cover another artist's entire album? I know Flaming Lips have done it, they're already an oddity...but Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard is releasing Bandwagonesque...the entire cover album.

Sounds like Norman Blake is very much on board:

Ben Gibbard's New Album Is Teenage Fanclub's 'Bandwagonesque,' Covered Song For Song

ToddH and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The original U.K. Creation vinyl of Grand Prix goes for "stupid money" now (especially if it still
    has the limited 7-inch bonus disc included in the package) but it blows all digital versions away.
    Interesting how the mastering of 'Sparky's Dream' seems a little bit "subdued" on the LP/CD
    compared to the roaring/soaring CD single mix (which was fortunately the version included
    on the 4,766 Seconds compilation. 'Don't Look Back' sounds better on there too...and Everything
    Flows
    is a new Rockfield re-mix that is the only way I was ever able to decipher all of the lyrics.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Lightworker

A song apparently inspired by D(o)uggie Stewart of Norman Blakes' previous band, The BMX Bandits.

18. Lightworker

To me it's "dull" like Nortorious Byrd Brothers is "dull"....that is to say: Not!

19. Lightworker

There are many...track them down and be amazed.

melstapler and Man at C&A like this.
  20. Lightworker

Least "square" rock album of 2016 IMO.

21. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

"Star Sign" is one of the greatest power pop songs of all time.

22. Lightworker

Saw them at the 9:30 Club in D.C. back in October.
    No lame political statements...just amazing music.

23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My copy of Grand Prix has the 7 inch and is still in it's shrink which has the album title on a sticker. The title is not on the front sleeve of these ltd edition ones. I also have the 4766 seconds comp on double vinyl but haven't played it in years. Did I Say? one of the new tracks from that is a favourite of mine. It was also a very limited edition 45.

hutlock and Lightworker like this.
  24. Lightworker

Did I Say could have been a hit for anyone from Sade to Slade. Terrific pop song.

25. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

How in the world did he resist the temptation to call it 'Bandwagonesqueesque'?

Pop_Zeus, hutlock and dobyblue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.