Sting: The Studio Collection – solo career-spanning vinyl box (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Looking at Amazon image of The Soul Cages back cover and can't spot the Q sound symbol. Can anyone confirm if they remastered this with or without the Q sound as per the original.

2. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

There no QSound logo (I don't have the original vinyl so I'm not sure where to look) but it does say, "Brian Cowieson and Scott Willing supervised the QSound."

3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I thought it was recorded with Q sound, not mastered with it. There is probably a thread on here somewhere about that topic!

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Mastered is wrong term but Q sound is added at mixing stage so could be omitted with a remix I believe. You can tell when listening as it gives an enhanced sound stage. Scan of original below with Q sound symbol and text in bottom right corner.

[​IMG]

JeffMo likes this.
  5. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I always though Blue Turtles sounded a bit sterile (original US vinyl), particularly compared to Nothing Like The Sun. Can't wait to hear the new mastering.

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I may have missed this upthread, but the individual reissue LPs are available in the US at Barnes and Noble. Yesterday I saw the first 4-5 albums in the rack, and interestingly Newbury Comics didn't have any of them.

mikedifr0923 and JasonA like this.
  7. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Has anyone else listened to these? Still debating. I did track down an original Blue turtles fairly cheap, but it's it's not perfect.

Wondering if I should get these or seek out original some the prices are good.

8. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Sting first two albums soumd great, the originals and can be haved for cheap. The others you can get the reissues.

9. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Originals of Mercury Falling have been expensive, it will be interesting to see what effect the supply of reissues has on the price.
    Since it's from 1996 and likely recorded in the digital domain, the reissue is probably a good route to go.

I don't think "Brand New Day" was originally released on vinyl, the 'reissue' would be the first time.
    https://www.discogs.com/Sting-Brand-New-Day/release/9124061

10. sennj

sennj I'm slower than I look...

Just a heads-up for anyone still on the fence. Just ordered the Sting LP box via Amazon France with the coupon code "GRANDMERCI" and it came out to a little over $120 shipped to USA. Around $12/record for Abbey Road-mastered, German-pressed vinyl in a nice box seemed like a no-brainer for moi...

;)

mikedifr0923 and JasonA like this.
  11. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Is the version of Dream of the Blue Turtles from this box set available separately?

12. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes, I saw multiple copies in the FAME record shop in Amsterdam last Tuesday.

13. resmast

resmast New Member

I was asking myself the same question. I see on the hand etchings "BG35253 -01 A1" and "BG35253 -01 B1"... BG=Bernie Grundman?? But he has his own studio. Could it be possible that A&M flew him to Abbey Road to do this work? I'm just speculating, I'm sure someone somewhere can give us the answer

14. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

I think there is always this confusion with BG in the deadwax........as far as I can remember, if BG is followed by a number then that doesn't mean the Bernie mastered it.....I think it's Optimals way of indicating the format.
    B=vinyl and the G=the year i.e. 2016.

I think it's only when you see a BG separately in the deadwax that it refers to Bernie.

15. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I can't find it anywhere in the UK, including all the usual major online sellers. Amazon have Dream of the Blue Turtles Vinyl, but it would appear to not be the 2016 version.

16. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

So, the consensus is that these new editions were sourced from digital files, right? Was the original "Dream of the Blue Turtles" AAA? Would that be a reason to seek out an original copy, apart from the price? I skimmed this thread, so, please pardon me if this has already been answered...

17. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

I found my answer earlier in the thread. It helps to read first!

Here's a question: I found a still sealed original copy of Blue Turtles at my local shop for $19.99; the jacket is slightly yellowed and slightly dog-eared. I also found the new reissue at Barnes & Noble in mint condition, which would be a bit cheaper to purchase after the member discount and December sales code are factored in. Which one should I go with?

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  18. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

I bought what I think is an original BT and it sounds great but I haven't compared to the new ones.

I would be curious as well if anyone could speak more about these new issuances?

19. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What's the verdict between the reissue and your UK pressing? :)

Ten Summoners Tales is the album I want to purchase and I'm OK with getting a UK if needed but it'd probably be cheaper and easier to get the reissue.

What say you, owner of both? ;)

20. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the 2-disc Brand New Day ?
    Thanks!

21. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

I have. Its great. Nothing spectacular but its very good. Go ahead

RubenH likes this.
  22. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Thanks; I didn't care for it when it originally came out years ago, but got it from the library recently and somehow it "clicked" for me, so if it sounds better than the CD, I'm game.

mikedifr0923 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  23. Desert Explorer

Desert Explorer Music Enthusiast

Hi there! Is there a chance we see a release of Songs From The Labyrinth in vinyl?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Which did you go with? Are you happy with SQ?

25. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter