Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Yes there are other threads like "Do you hate black metal?" or "I Can't Get Into Death Metal", which invariably receive postings from enthusiasts, but I thought a straight appreciation thread is in order. So, lovers of Black, Death, Doom and all variants of metal therein, what are you listening to?

2. Dreadnought

I'm in the midst of an Obituary fest, having been turned on to them by the new release consisting of two singles preceding eleven live tracks. The instrumental during the final minute of this three minute song is what really got me interested in them. I'm hooked on their 2007 album "Xecutioner's Return" but I'm still too early into their discography to have any personal summation.

lenny nero and GodShifter like this.
  3. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

was right into my death metal back in the late 80s and early 90 but lost interest in 1993 or so.
    recently rekindled my love affair with it all a couple of years ago. Currently finding myself spinning a lot of early swedish death metal.

4. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

i love the early stuff, black metal not so much except Darkthrone. Can't stand the slick production on most records post 1991/2. Just don't think it suits the music. Give me Possessed , Bathory, Venom and Celtic Frost anyway

5. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Great thread for die-hard maniacs ;)
    I am into old Morbid Angel, Acheron, Autopsy, Necrovore, Mayhem, Tormentor (Hungary), Master's Hammer and many of the brasil stuff like early Sepultura, Mutilator, Holocausto, Sarcofago, Sextrash...too many to mention...!!!
    Sure, Celtic Frost / Hellhammer, Possessed, Bathory and Venom are so important !!!

6. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Currently listening to Bloodbath's "Nightmares Made Flesh" for the first time in a long time. Good stuff. I had forgotten that future Opeth drummer Martin Axenrot was in the band.

7. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

One of the best Death Metal albums from the last years is SONNE ADAM - Transformation. Check it out !!!

Dreadnought likes this.
  8. Cooks420

Cooks420 Forum Resident

Definitely a fan of the Floridian death scene.

Anyone here give Gruesome a whirl?

coltlacey1 and Dreadnought like this.
  9. oldschool

oldschool I love tape hiss

I need more of this:

10. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Not a fan of Black Metal or Death Metal, but I dig a lot of Doom.

My favorites are OM, Sleep, Kyuss, and Bongripper. Uncle Acid gets doomy on occasion, but I guess they're more Stoner Rock.

11. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

I've always found Mayhem's story fascinating

12. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I am a huge fan of the older Earache catalog. I still listen to Carcass, Napalm Death, Bolt Thrower, Entombed, and Morbid Angel. I'm a much bigger fan of grindcore more then death metal. Nasum and Phobia are two I listen to a lot as well.

I'm not a big fan of black metal, but I will admit that I enjoy listening to Dark Funeral and Dissection from time to time.

13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Big Cannibal Corpse fan. Butchered At Birth is my favorite album of theirs.

14. Dreadnought

Same here sort of. I was right into it about 12 years ago then moved on but the last year or so I've been drawn back in. :D

:cheers:We deserve it. Pure appreciation and celebration. As it's the vocals that divide listeners, quite strictly, I figured might as well have all the genres that use "unclean" vocals in one thread.

It's all good. I'm not a stickler for the rules of what is and is not of any particular sub-genre. I find myself unable to even name where some bands fit as they overlap. Often I see the word "blackened" used by bands themselves which I take to mean influenced by rather than adhering strictly to.
    One doom type song from 2014 that knocked me on my butt was this. What a meditation! They are messing with my sense of anticipation! :laugh:

Just yesterday I took possession of this book and I was genuinely surprised and pleased by how handsome it is. I expected it to be smaller and produced on the cheap. Wow was I wrong. There are 64 pages of those colour plates! Although some of the plates are B&W. And every third page of text has a B&W pic. Very nice indeed. I chose it for seeming to be a real 'just the facts' musical history without any sensationalism or favoritism. I'm not going to start the book until I finish with my Obituary discography exploration because I know once I start reading I'm going to be listening to the band being written about. And this for $20 USD! :righton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Dreadnought

16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I am looking forward to watching this. What I have read about Mayhem is very interesting and crazy.

Scope J and ModernDayWarrior like this.
  17. Dreadnought

"Omens of Doom" by Sulphur is one of my albums of the year this 2016. I simply throw up my hands in futility in putting a label on them. Lovely lead guitar on this track.

stay crunchy likes this.
  18. panicproject

yeah, i have the LP & the miniLP. Very authentic. Like them a lot.

19. panicproject

my favourite label. Well up till late 92 anyway.

eric777 likes this.
  20. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

Sam Dunn's Banger youtube channel recently did a story on At The Gates' album Slaughter Of The Soul. I'd never heard it before his mini-doc. What a great album. That led me to research more on the "Gothenburg Sound". Which ultimately led to Dark Tranquillity. Both bands are in constant rotation for the last month. Dark Tranquillity's album Character is my favorite so far.

Rapid Fire likes this.
  21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I like doom metal a bunch, black metal just about as much, but don't particularly care for death metal. I do, however, like the death n roll stuff like latter Entombed, Grave, and Gorefest.

That said, the first Obituary album is a favorite. Slowly We Rot is an album that's heavier than the sun.

Anyone into the grindcore scene? I like some of it (mainly older Earache stuff).

eric777 likes this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dude, you know Venom wasn't even remotely black metal, right?

coltlacey1 likes this.
  23. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

I like doom, black and death. in that order. And I've really only started to get into it later -- since I turned 40.

I also like grindcore.

Michel_LeGrisbi and Dreadnought like this.
  24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I love old Metal, but never quite achieved Black, Death or Doom status. But stopping in to say hi! :cheers:

25. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Please, not this discussion again.