“Music is moving away from genres” says Spotify CEO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

What's worse is it's "legal", so those who might have been hesitant about obtaining music online through other shady means feel emboldened and justified in using streaming services because it's such a great "deal". Meanwhile there goes another $5 on a grande latte... :shake:

Nostaljack likes this.
  2. drasil

drasil Former Resident

I'm familiar with this--Pharrell was paid $2700 by sony/ATV, his record label, for 43 million plays on spotify and pandora.

this supports my position. I'm not sure why it would seem otherwise.

Robert C likes this.
  3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I agree, but doubt Spotty's statement will have a effect on the way music is made, only their user model and their revenue. Also, how would music made 'around activities or a particular experience' work? Music for playing tennis? Music for sleeping to? Music for feeling excited to? Sounds very functional and probably leads to a library music mentality.

If musicians stick to genres, it just indicates a lack of imagination on the part of the artist.

4. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I guess I'll have to switch up my record collection then, since I still have them categorized by genre...

5. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I don't have an issue putting my iTunes or iPhone on Random which will play everything from Classical music to Metal, and everything in between, so I don't an issue with that.

It will however never play any Disco....('cause I ain't got any) :shh:

6. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

Ok, Prog. music to relax to ................ or Prog. music to cook to. See how easy that was.

jfbar167, Gumboo and Malina like this.
  7. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Once we can have a Bluetooth-enabled mood ring to control the music, we should be all set... ;)

SuntoryTime, Yost and CrazyCatz like this.
  8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Moving out of genres into total homogeneous blandness?

Gumboo, Hamhead and mr.datsun like this.
  9. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

except for avant-garde albums, mine is strictly a-z. I have no interest in genres – just pieces of music and the people who make them.

Yost and drasil like this.
  10. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

I separate by genre just so things are easier to find...Some albums don't fit as smoothly into specific genres, but it mostly works pretty well.

11. troggy

troggy Papa-Oom-Mow-Mow

My own music collection is simply A to Z but that's with the obvious caveat it's all music that I already know I like. Someone else picking out music that I like, without the use of genres, isn't nearly as tidy.

12. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

yes

CrazyCatz likes this.
  13. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

Considering all popular music sounds pretty much the same now, it's not surprising.

Wombat Reynolds likes this.
  14. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Member

Aren't the playlists for "activities or a particular experience" just codewords for genres? I mean, it's not surprising that Spotify's "Relax & Unwind" playlist doesn't contain Metallica but rather Ed Sheeran, Mumford & Sons...

15. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

“Spotify is moving away from paying artists any royalties worth a $hit,” says John Lennonist

Hamhead likes this.
  16. It's not that simple. What if you find cooking relaxing?

17. Give me a break! This sounds idiotic. Of course music is still going to be categorized just differently by Spotify.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I just think it means people are even more disengaged from music than before. The who, why, what, when of music seems to be information of diminishing concerns.

Gumboo and tages like this.
  19. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

My music is mostly separated into white people music and black people music. :laugh: However, Jimi Hendrix is in with the white people and Tony Joe White has been honored and allowed to be in with the black people. But then I also have a country section and the 30's to the 50's stuff that is big band and pop vocals type music has its own section where the races can mix freely without problems from the authorities. The vast majority of my music is pre 1980.

20. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

No worries, Spotify will know exactly what it wants me to hear.

troggy likes this.
  21. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

If music producers thought they could sell you that...they would. "For a new generation...". Please.

22. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

We'll need to sick Flo & Eddie on them to change things around.

23. hello people

hello people Forum Resident

I think it's Adult Contempo

troggy likes this.
  24. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I can imagine Flo and Eddie sicking on them would change things around.

25. Wombat Reynolds

Wombat Reynolds Jimmy Page stole all my best riffs.

get out the Hazmat suits!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.