Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe we could get a GORT to merge this thread with that one?

Dreadnought likes this.
  2. Gojira and Dawn Of Ashes get a lot of rotation here.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  3. I agree! They are tremendously talented. I have heard others online remark that they are not doing anything original, etc.

peskypesky likes this.
  4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I never listened to much Entombed. I had Wolberine Blues, back in the day, but it didn't last with me. People have suggested Left Hand Path, but I could never get into the Swedish stuff (Dismember and Grave always left me flat, too) so I never tried it.

I like Nails because of their blackened death, almost crust or hardcore sound. I have their three albums and a t-shirt I got from Southern Lord in some package deal.

GodShifter likes this.
  5. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

That's all? Pfft, hardly blistering criticism.

Being aware that the year is coming to a close I've been thinking more about my fav songs of the year and these are two.

6. Dreadnought

7. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

For Entombed, try Clandestine and see if you like that. My favorite Entombed album and probably my favorite death metal album ever. I've known people that aren't really even death metal fans that like that one. Left Hand Path is great too, but a bit different. The later Entombed death and roll albums like Wolverine Blues and such aren't my thing at all, though some people love those.

For Dismember, their first album is a classic, if you haven't tried it lately give it another go if you can. If you want to hear them do something a little different, try the album "Death Metal" which has some guitar melody here and there that's very catchy. I used to listen to that one a lot when it came out.

Dark Recollections by Carnage is another early Swedish DM classic a lot of people overlook.

Grave, from the little I remember were always much more straightforward and less catchy/more brutal sounding than the other bands mentioned here. Early Unleashed are similar to some of the bands mentioned above, but with Viking themes going on lyrically and conceptually.

If you want Scandinavian hardcore punk with death metal production values try:

Disfear: Soul Scars; Everyday Slaughter (later lineup is totally different in membership and sound FYI)
    Skitsystem: first two albums
    Driller Killer: first two albums
    Meanwhile: first two albums
    Valvantakomissio: systemi tappa
    Uncurbed: peacepunklovelife
    Fleshrevels: stoned and out
    Wolfpack: first three albums

^a lot of these were recorded at the same studios many popular DM releases were recorded at.

chalkpie, peskypesky and Rapid Fire like this.
  8. abbeyroad2

abbeyroad2 Forum Resident

Cool to hear. I got into Opeth at the wrong time. I'd bought all of their death metal albums up to Watershed and was excited to hear the latest. Then came Heritage. Total disappointment for me. Since then I've grown to like the album. But at the time all I was craving was more heaviness from Opeth.

I did get to meet Mikael Akerfeldt in Grand Rapids, MI. We were going to see them on the Heritage tour and stopped at a record store before the show. In walks the entire band! He headed straight to the prog records. The show that followed was a snooze-fest. Totally mellow until the end. They did Grand Conjuration and Demon of the Fall to close out the show and the entire floor errupted in a mosh. It made the whole night worthwile.

Wounded Land and Dreadnought like this.
  9. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Have you heard In Flames "Reroute To Remain"? I think it is their most accessible, and there are several songs where he is singing instead of growling.

10. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

11. Nice Marmot

I've never cared for the Swedes sound. Don't know why. U.S. and U.K. but not the Swedes. Even Dissection and Unleashed never stayed with me. Maybe the production? I don't know. At The Gates- Slaughter Of The Soul, is the only thing I really liked..... which, I've been told, ia sacrilege, and Bathory.

I also like Agrimonia's Rites Of Separation and have tried Wolfpack.

edit: I'd forgotten that Craft is Swedish, I like that band.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  12. Dreadnought

I know what you mean. Although I bought a pair of tickets for the show last month I was very half-hearted after listening to Sorceress. Excellent as it is I hoped for heavier. But the venue here, Massey Hall is great. I snapped this pic from my cheap seats on the top balcony. In between song banter from Mikael he said Kiss played Massey Hall the night he was born. Also Rush recorded "All the World's a Stage" here.

[​IMG]
    I really liked having the rail in front instead of someone's head and liked the show much more than I expected.
    Sorceress
    Ghost of Perdition
    Demon of the Fall
    The Wilde Flowers
    Face of Melinda
    In My Time of Need
    Will O the Wisp
    Cusp of Eternity
    The Drapery Falls
    The Devil's Orchard
    Hex Omega
    Deliverance

Awesome that you got to meet Akerfeldt and the rest of the band. :cool:
    I was quite entertained by Martín Méndez. I think he and his bass are the same height.

I didn't go back in time, I came forward to "Inked in Blood" from 2014. Wow, this song! Shaking off all genre trappings like a dog shaking water off its hide, this hound of fundamental rock also grabbed hold of me and shook.

13. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

The James Murphy solos on Obituary's- Cause of Death are what make that album for me, without them it would be easily forgettable. I love his work on Death's- Spiritual Healing ,Cancer-Death Shall Rise and also his own Disincarnate- Dreams of the Carrion Kind release. His guest solo on Gorguts, Innoculated Life from their Considered Dead album is fantastic as well. I know he did some work with Testament too but I'm not familiar with that.

stay crunchy likes this.
  14. Sternodox

Check out Testament's Low ... Murphy kills it on that one!

stay crunchy likes this.
  15. Nice Marmot

[​IMG]

Baphomet's- The Dead Shall Inherit is a nice death metal album

16. Sternodox

Beherit's Drawing Down the Moon is one of the most viscerally disturbing albums I've ever heard. May be the creepiest black metal album ever. I love it!

17. Nice Marmot

Check out Archgoat..... they continued that from the depths of hell, blasphemous sound. They're from Finland also.

chalkpie, coltlacey1 and Sternodox like this.
  18. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

I have everything of theirs back to The Jester Race but I have not revisited some of the older ones in a very long time. I started getting their stuff around Soundtrack To Your Escape and have been keeping up with their releases ever since. Sometimes it takes me years to finally click with an artist though.

That said, it's actually his singing that I don't care for - his growling is fine for me. But I'm basing tat off the more recent stuff they've done so I'll have to go back and see if the older singing gives me a similar vibe.

19. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Lots of 90s Roadrunner, Earache, and Nuclear Blast stuff. Suffocation, Brutal Truth, Godflesh, Entomed, Napalm Death, Obituary, Cathedral, Sinister, Hypocrisy, Gorguts, Death, Morbid Angel. Big fan of both the earlier pure death metal albums and most of their other 90s albums where they changed their sound.

Rapid Fire likes this.
  20. Chip Z

Chip Z Forum Resident

Some new albums I've bought this year:
    Neurosis
    Nails
    Gruesome
    Like Rats
    Kvelertak
    Skeletonwitch

My favorite local store -- My Mind's Eye -- stocks all the best metal releases.

Gez likes this.
  21. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Check these guys out, Weedeater. Doom, Southern Sludge, whatever you want to call it. They call themselves weed metal, all I know is they're awesome. :love:

Rapid Fire likes this.
  22. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

24. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Love me some Weedeater. Dixie Dave is a hoot. I met him at a show and he had to go throw up in a thrash can twice while I was talking to him. Very Bukowski like (at least in that aspect). I believe he also blew one of his toes off in a drunken stupor with a gun. Whoops!

Dreadnought and FJosh like this.