Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Me too. Here's my fave from the Tampa scene.

Nice Marmot and Dreadnought like this.
  2. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Haven't heard this year's EP just yet, but I absolutely loved that album.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

In that case, you probably don't like Reroute To Remain at all. :) The Jester Race is a great album, and I think most In Flames fans like it and Whoracle the best.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    bunkaroo likes this.
  4. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like Bones. They're from Chicago and associated with Usurper.

stay crunchy likes this.
  5. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

I'm a big fan of all three styles in the title, though Doom probably most of all. Death metal probably the style I listen to the least, but that's mostly because I think that it's much harder to find newer death metal bands that are doing anything interesting. Too often the bands all sound interchangeable.

One recent exception, to my ears, is Arizona's Gatecreeper - who just released their debut full-length on Relapse earlier this month. They've got a old-school Florida vibe, but with updated production and a distinct twist. Well worth checking out.

PyroMessiah and Dreadnought like this.
  6. Nice Marmot

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I second your Entombed recommendation of Clandestine, and agree that Left Hand Path is also great. That's all the Entombed most people need.

stay crunchy, patient_ot and sathvyre like this.
  8. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I need to draw a family tree it seems to cover it all. I was hoping and it does seem that the guitar which I'm liking so much is ingrained, a band philosophy. Related, @lenny nero turned me on to the Tardy Brothers' 2009 album "Bloodline" which is great. Thanks again Lenny!

It had been a long time since I listened to Carpathian Forest's "Black Shining Leather" and when I played it earlier this month I'd forgotten it begins with the sound of a woman in utter pain and misery and ugh, very hard to take. :shake:
    Beherit is a band I've never heard, as well as a few others, that have a chapter (mini-chapter) in that Black Metal book and I'm setting up the set list to accompany the book. Now this is the kind of Night-School course I can do! :cool:
    :righton: Kvelertak is a hell of a lot of fun!

I would be negligent if I didn't throw on here what was my #1 album from 2015. I just adore the guitar.

9. Dreadnought

Pardon the double dip but if the above pleases then the full album. :D

chalkpie and Sternodox like this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dude, haven't we been though this? Horrendous is, indeed, HORRENDOUS.

Dreadnought likes this.
  11. Dreadnought

:laugh:
    In the best possible way! :winkgrin:

GodShifter likes this.
  12. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'm a big black metal fan. I also like some death metal but hate doom metal. Currently loving this album :

[​IMG]

OK; I know. It's not pure black. More like symphonic gothic metal. But who cares ?

13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Haven't heard that in years. Probably not since around the time of its release. I recall liking it at the time but not sure if I'd be into it now or not.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Out of curiosity, why do you hate doom metal?

The Pinhead likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

Dunno; it just bores the kerrap outta me:shrug:

16. The Pinhead

By all means give it it another spin. People often write it off as having ¨typewriter drums¨(pun intended:laugh:) but that's because they don't get past the intro and the first song, which has a very weak mix. The album leaps at your throat by ¨Cruelty Brought Thee Orchids¨ just about 9' into the wax and doesn't let go of you until it ends some 50' later.

Dani's vocals at their very best on this album IMO; they're either an acquaired taste or love at first shriek (my case)

Brenald79 likes this.
  17. Dreadnought

The opening of "Dusk and Her Embrace" (1996) is wonderfully evocative. Something I've never forgotten since first hearing it. Yeah, Dani..it's been a long time. I think I ran for cover eventually.

I don't.

The Pinhead likes this.
  18. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Since there was talk of the Gothenburg sound earlier, I'll mention an American band that pulled it off quite well: Enforsaken, from Chicago. Their first album, The Forever Endeavor, is one of my favorite American extreme metal slabs, even if my enjoyment of that melodic Swedish style has waned over the years. For whatever reason, while I've started veering away from the works of In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, At the Gates, et al., I still can listen to this one all day, any day. It's got tremendous energy, memorable songwriting, a charismatic vocalist, and guitar solos that drop my jaw.

Their second album, however, was awful. One of the steepest declines in quality I've encountered.

Another band that used some of that particular Gothenburg melodic/harmonic progression, even if Carcass' Heartwork might be a more accurate origin, was Tennessee's Epoch of Unlight -- though they were darker and blacker and had a sort of Lovecraft/Poe bent to their lyrics. (Supposedly Brian Lumley was an inspiration for them.) Maybe God Dethroned is a good comparison. Anyway I have a soft spot for EoU, as their debut, What Will Be Has Been, was one of the first albums I bought -- without having heard a note, only having read a review in Metal Maniacs -- when I started getting back into metal in the late 90s. Over the course of 3 albums they polished up their sound, and both Caught in the Unlight and The Continuum Hypothesis are fantastic examples of headbanging thrashy blackened melodic death metal put together with intelligence and aplomb. Best of all, some time last year they threw some new(ish) songs on their bandcamp, songs that pick right up where the band left off. I hope they get around to another full length.
    Foreshadows, by Epoch of Unlight »

And I will never tire of album art like this:
    [​IMG]

19. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Oh two more quick hits: 1) there's been another tiny update in the Lords of Chaos movie project, Sky Ferreira cast in Jonas Åkerlund’s black metal movie Lords of Chaos » I know the whole idea of this thing irritates the metal under(and over)ground to no end but I'll admit to being intrigued enough to give it its fair day in court. Reading that book for the first time was pretty formative for me, right when I was learning of all those bands who would go on to become my favorites;

and 2) if you like that black blood-drenched maelstrom metal practiced by Demoncy and the aforementioned Beherit, the new Void Meditation Cult is officially alive in digitaldom, album to be released on Halloween: Utter the Tongue Of The Dead, by VOID MEDITATION CULT » Just wonderfully nasty stuff, but somehow regal and transcendent.

Dreadnought likes this.
  20. Dreadnought

A pleasure to read sir. Also..heh...."headbanging thrashy blackened melodic death metal put together with intelligence and aplomb." :edthumbs:

21. Dreadnought

I feel like I'm cleaning out the cupboards of choice goods from 2015. Oh well....

Stormrider77 likes this.
  22. Dreadnought

For if you were wondering what to do with that incense your eccentric aunt pushed into your hand.
    Meditate to the gloom of course! :idea:

23. Nice Marmot

I can tell my tatses are a little different than most. Good thread idea, though.... I'm going to catch up on some of the bands I mentioned liking in my earlier post.

stay crunchy and Dreadnought like this.
  24. The Pinhead

That's debatable for they laid the foundations for the genre. They also invented speed and thrash metal at the same time. I revere them.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I promised another poster I wouldn't get into this.