Grrrrr: The Black Metal ~ Death Metal Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dreadnought, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Love that album. I've got the Relapse reissue and have never listened to the extras.... I don't on most things. That, Terrorizer's World Downfall and Bolt Thrower's In Battle There Is No Law are best albums to be released after the thrash era, to my ears.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Haven't heard that one. I have Ravendusk in My Heart, which I think is quite good even though the drum machine on the album can get on my nerves a bit.

Dreadnought likes this.
  3. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Both classics for sure. I like both albums a lot.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn. Thread Starter

Good luck with it. :laugh: It's nuts. I did like it though. That was then. Now I'm not as interested in having my skull tickled as having a good time getting my gluteus maximus kicked hard by crazed barbarians.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    stay crunchy and Josta Voke like this.
  5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Played this today.

stay crunchy likes this.
  6. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

And this. Both Classics of course.

panicproject likes this.
  7. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

A lot of great bands already mentioned here, so I will just a couple of things to the thread:

- In terms of general greatness from a label in terms of musical excellence, reasonable pricing, fast shipping and great customer service, it is hard to imagine something better than one-man Canadian operation Profound Lore (full disclosure - I am canuck and biased). Chris Bruni has hardly ever put a foot wrong in picking great music (YOB, Portal, Pallbearer, etc.).

- books have been mentioned so far - a couple in this genre that I have highly enjoyed - Choosing Death, from the editor of Decibel, and Metalion (Bazillion Points) a collection of the classic Norwegian zine Slayer Mag.

- lastly, curiously enough, I am similar in tastes to what others here have mentioned - 56 years old, into almost all types of music from rap to rock to reggae, but with a special love for metal, both "classic" (Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, et al.) and underground (Agalloch, Cobalt, Carcass, Demilich, Gorguts, Thou, Subrosa, Inter Arma, Panopticon, etc.) - here are some current heavy rotations - MGLA (all releases), Vektor (all releases), Cobalt (Slow Forever).

8. Dreadnought

Storm of the Light's Bane, that was so good. If I continue indulging in your additions I'll never complete my own stuff. ;)

You're awesome man. :tiphat:
    I'm surprised the other exercise in lameness, the racial Black Metal query hasn't shown up yet.
    Well, speaking of he of fiery fantasy, who is really just code for being anti-establishment and rebellious (Rock 'N Roll) I remember how much I liked the Behemoth album from 2014. Those guys are so serious I have to admire them even if I have a slight smirk.

stay crunchy likes this.
  9. Dreadnought

I can't tell you how many times I've watched the guitar solo after 2:40. :love:

stay crunchy and fuzzface like this.
  10. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

I have the repress from a couple years ago in our Discogs store.

11. Dr Mike

Dr Mike Forum Resident

I really like Winter Thrice. My favorite album of theirs is probably Quintessence.

The songs are good, but the sound is total garbage.

12. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

My experience with the label is very limited. I have some albums by Abyssal and Portal from the label that I liked, and I see that they also put out the latest Dalek album (an odd choice for a metal leaning label maybe), which I plan to pick up later. I need to check out some more things from them.

krlpuretone, Gez and GodShifter like this.
  13. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Cued this up today, another classic:

Brenald79 and Nice Marmot like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Profound Lore is one of the best labels out there. The fact that they release a Dälek record gives them even more cred in my estimation. I've bought a TON of great stuff from PL.

15. C. Cushman

C. Cushman Forum Resident

Concerning Borknagar: They did one more album with ICS Vortex as their vocalist: Quintessence. Then they switched to Vintersorg and that's when I lost interest for a while.

EDIT: Forgot about Arcturus, but my buddies don't like the new one because it is "too techno"... I guess???

16. Dreadnought

I listened to Watain for the first time, settling on "Lawless Darkness" (2010) for appealing to me quickest. (Watain seem a fairly popular band. Without record sales figures I'll look at a band's wares. The quality and quantity of T-Shirts and other stuff to get an idea of their status. By this unproven method it appears that Behemoth are millionaires). I was deeply impressed after one full play. So impressed that I doubted I was correct. I can be too quickly infatuated. I took this blackened Ferrari of effortless gear shifts around the track twice more and sure enough after the third play it's performance was less grand. First off 74 minutes is too long (Physical Graffiti is 82 minutes) and there isn't sufficient differentiation between songs to justify the length. The final track is interesting as it increasingly heads into the territory of conventional hard rock. The problem is that the balladry and hard rock conclusion are not as good as a bona fide hard rock band and therefore it fails. Still an okay album.

stay crunchy likes this.
  17. Josta Voke

Josta Voke we do beg your pardon but we are in your garden

Definitely a) do not proceed to The Wild Hunt, as the hard rock looms ever larger, and b) do go backwards to Sworn to the Dark and Casus Luciferi; the latter has a more chilling atmosphere but less song distinction, while Sworn has Watain's best written songs (imo) even if the graveyard ambiance has started to fade a bit.

Here's an odd one I stumbled upon last year: Malokarpatan, from Slovakia, sounding like an utterly necro version of Venom with some folkiness thrown in for good measure. Sometimes they remind me of Spite Extreme Wing -- another too often neglected band -- but the production here is far, far down into the fungus festooned cellar. Tormentor might be another touchstone. Anyway, for all who have not heard of this strangle little band, now's as good a time as any to get acquainted:
    Stridžie dni, by Malokarpatan »

And since I mentioned them, here's Spite Extreme Wing's Vltra album, one of the brightest stars in the European black metal firmament, recorded with vintage instruments in an analog studio and sounding alive, alive, alive. Something I really love about SEW is their wisdom in the use of repetition. They really hammer home the best of their musical ideas. It makes the songs longer but these songs need to be long.

18. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

True but they influenced a bunch of the early bands and coined the term. Kind of similar to how Blue Cheer aren't a metal band , but started the genre on it's way (along with a bunch of other bands).

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    GodShifter likes this.
  19. Dreadnought

It was an oversight on my part not to explicitly request at the start of the thread that we not get into debates that have been done repeatedly without resolve. That this thread lean heavily into appreciation and not theory. Thank you troyvod.
    :cheers:

Sternodox and GodShifter like this.
  20. Dreadnought

:edthumbs:

I will definitely go backward with Watain. As well as press my nose to the glass as you narrate from the driver's seat of the tour bus visiting these less known dark corners.
    :laugh: You wouldn't happen to be related to Tri... oh nevermind. :cool:

21. Dreadnought

This doesn't help me make up my mind about Mgla but it does have me want to visit a leather goods shop.

22. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I like Razorback Records & Southern Lord. I've bought quite a bit from both.

krlpuretone and GodShifter like this.
  23. s320no

s320no Forum Resident

I remember I went to Trondheim Rock Festival here in Norway in the summer of 2008 to see and hear Judas Priest. The Norwegian band Immortal was also on the bill at that festival and I experienced them "warming us up" before Priest hit the stage.

Not a particular fan of death/thrash and so metal music myself I was still very impressed by their performace that day. The sound was like a wall...so loud the ground was shaking, and you felt like being run over by a bulldozer. I remember the "singer" guitarist drank gasoline from a goat horn or something and blew flames to the audience's delight. :uhhuh:

How would you fans of this music rate Immortal?

Sincerely
    Trond

Dreadnought likes this.
  24. LuxInt

LuxInt Forum Resident

Just rediscovering metal again. Hadn't paid attention to what was happening in that scene since the early 90's. I'm amazed at the number of different directions it's taken. In addition to threads like these, Bandcamp, also a relatively new find for me, has been a great source for discovery. I've especially found that following fan collections has been helpful - brings back fond memories of going through friends music collections. Based on posts here and the general metal thead I'd love the opportunity to rifle though some of your collections. I'm RoNo on Bandcamp.

Dreadnought and ceddy10165 like this.
  25. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

Great thread! My caveat is that I know my knowledge and taste isn't extreme or "true metal" by standards.

I was born a "Monster Kid" and always loved the black and white monsters from the vintage era of Universal films - to me this is an important connection point to some of the music I was drawn to later.

From 82-89 I dug Ozzy Osbourne with Randy Rhoads, Alice Cooper, Motley Crue, Metallica, Guns N Roses and many hard rock and hair metal bands in between. Grunge and Alternative seemed to carry the torch in 90-2000 and I was into Jane's Addiction, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins.

Throughout I was into Prog like Rush, Crimson and Yes. When Banger Films doc Iron Maiden "Flight 666" came out I saw it and was blindsided at how incredible a band they were and what I had been missing out all of those years that they hadn't really "clicked" with me (even though I had a few of their albums) - the perfect blend between the hard rock and prog I had always loved. This really opened the gates for me and deeper, darker, and wider metal.

From there I got back in to Sabbath, but the entire catalog this time around. This led me to Electric Wizard and doom - Pentagram and Blood Ceremony being my favorites.

Opeth's "Heritage" and the hard rock/prog connection slowly got me into their catalog and with it a brand new understanding and appreciation for the of "death growl." In Rush's absence after their last tour, Opeth have filled the fandom void they left after the last tour. I'm nuts about them.

I bought the Decibel Magazine "Top 100" issues of classic, doom, death and black metal, a selection of all kinds of artists within, and have watched thousands of YouTube related docs to try to understand and appreciate these genres. There's so much to it, it's beyond overwhelming, but it's a lot of fun!

I'll also give a shout out to VH1's That Metal Show and the Banger Films docs which really energized my love for all things hard rock and metal.

Hopefully I can learn what to listen to next in the Death and Black genres from this thread. Using Opeth as a jumping off point which of their influences in the metal world would I like?

Happy Halloween!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016