Metallica Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Zach Johnson, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

2. Dusan

Dusan Forum Resident

Thanks for the link :).

3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Anyone actually hear those or pick up either the MOP or RTL box?

4. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

There is no MOP box set out yet. The KEA and RTL box sets are amazing and very well worth the money. The vinyl sound great in both. There are extensive discussions throughout this thread on the sound quality. Some weren't the biggest fans of the sound quality of the vinyl whereas others, including myself felt the reissued vinyl sounds outstanding. The items you get in the box sets are amazing and all die-hard Metallica fans would love the bonus content.

5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Ok, so random question here: has anyone compared Garage Inc. 3 lp reissue versus the 6lp 45 rpm issue? My predicament is that record six on my 45rpm is badly warped and not playable. I have considered getting a 3lp copy or I could break down any buy a vinyl flat. I hate not being able to play the Motorhead songs. Or I could be content with the CD version that I have and just play that! LOL. Listening to the OP of Garage Days, wow it is crushing!

6. Dr. Metal MD

My box set is the same way....super bummed about it. I have a 3 LP OP, but I haven't listened to it all the way through. If I remember right, the 3 LP OP sounds thin with a diminished soundstage compared to the 6 LP version.

7. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

One more random Metallica question about the sound quality of the original 12 inch singles? I am assuming these sound quite nice!!? I ordered a blue MFN Creeping Death, looking forward to spinning that.

joshm2286 likes this.
  8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Thanks, yeah I think I will just have to be content with what I got. The good news was I paid only $27 for the 6lp set and then asked for a discount due to the warpage so they gave me another $14 off. I guess I really should not be complaining about that one, just unfortunate. I assume the 3lp set at least bests the CD version.

joshm2286 likes this.
  9. Dr. Metal MD

I haven't done side by side comparisons, but I am sure. That is one hell of a price for that epic box set.

10. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yeah, I think I got that one from a seller off of Amazon. It was before the price really shot up.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  11. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Nobody owns any Metallica EP singles like Creeping Death, Jump In The Fire, Harvest Of Sorrow...? Any opinions of sound quality of these 12 inch EP's?

12. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I have some of them.I don`t have any fault with them.As long as you can find them at a decent price I`d say go for them.There`s the 1990 Good Bad and the live 45 12" Boxset from Europe,sometimes cheap on Discogs or ebay.I have no idea how the sound is on that one,but you get everything in one box.

13. steveharris

Anybody ever hear that 6 1/2 Years Good Bad & Live Box?
    I may spring for one at some point.

14. Dr. Metal MD

Didn't know that even existed. How much does that set fetch nowadays? Must be fairly rare?

steveharris likes this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Killer - I have Creeping Death and Jump.

Jam757 likes this.
  16. steveharris

I`m not sure it may be like 3000 numbered or something.It only came out in the UK in 1990.I have to check out the prices on Discogs and Ebay.Gararge Days EP is in it too maybe 45rpm?

17. Dr. Metal MD

Best of luck. I'm sure we'd be interested to read what you find out.

18. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

It's called The Good, The Bad & The Live.

Yep, it is the only way to hear Garage Days at 45 rpm, as far as vintage copies go (I have no idea if one has been pressed in the last decade or whenever). The set was not numbered, but it was definitely limited. 'Tis is a cool thing to own for sure.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    joshm2286 likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Yup, I got Creeping Death blue vinyl in the mail last night. Awesome sound although I can't say it sounds better than the MFN 45rpm Ride The Lightning. Very glad to own it! Jump In The Fire and Harvester Of Sorrow both on the way!

joshm2286 likes this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

+1
    Also have a UK Harvester, and a US Whiplash.
    My Creeping Death is a UK clear red though.
    https://www.discogs.com/Metallica-Creeping-Death/release/3830470
    They also sound great to my ears.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I always wonder if packing six heavy records in a box set like this can cause warps on the bottom ones. It seems I have encountered this before although not sure I can remember where or on what set.

22. Dr. Metal MD

I had the same problem in the S&M box set. Not as bad as Garage Inc.'s warping, but still significant.

23. joshm2286 likes this.
  24. mesaboogie

mesaboogie Forum Resident

rjstauber likes this.
  25. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

The MFN 12" singles sound great for "Jump In The Fire" and "Creeping Death". For the "Whiplash" 12", I recommend a MEGAFORCE pressing (not sure if there is any other version available). For the later 12" singles I own dutch VERTIGO pressings which sound great !!! I hope that helps.

Jam757 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.