SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

That really sucks.

2. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

What a bummer , i would LOVE if they would come out like that on SACD , i'd be in for any & all of them ......

CBackley, DLant and hodgo like this.
  3. BeatleD65

BeatleD65 Well-Known Member

I would love to have the 45 rpm 180 gram album very high priced.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I was listening to an old CD-R in the reject pile I had of the "Hold" reel outtakes from LOVE IS THE THING again today. This is the only outtake reel in existence for this album and it survives because (as I've mentioned), Lee Gillette had the engineer mark "HOLD" on it in red grease pencil, so it survived all the vault purges of 1959, '69, '79, etc. Why he did that? Probably for the cute little segment that I put on the 45 RPM version of "I THOUGHT ABOUT MARIE."

Sadly, it will sit in the vaults forever, most likely, nothing on there of any musical interest, just false starts, etc. but it impressed me again during the little sections of "WHERE CAN I GO WITHOUT YOU" that Nat Cole was right there, listening intently as Gordon Jenkins adjusted the arrangement slightly, asking Lee if it sounded better like this or like that and then they would do a few bars and instead of Nat just lounging in his chair, he sang right along every time. Normally, the recording engineer would stop tape during this fiddling, but the three-track machine was a pain to restart (had to get up to speed and three record buttons had to be pushed) so they left it running (probably preoccupied with trying to get the main microphone patch to sound right.)

So the orchestra fiddling was kept on this one tape. Hearing it was impressive to me. Lee and Nat really cared about the album, the arrangements, everything.

And Gordon Jenkins cared about every little note, the volume that each string player used during each bar, the blending of the drums/bass/guitar/harp/piano with the giant string section, everything. And this was after his arrangements were already on paper. Lee Gillette (from the vantage point of the control room, listening to how it sounded AFTER the reverb, EQ, mic levels, etc. were added during the live recording) was the final word on what it sounded like in relation to the vocal. The conductor never had (or has) the last word in these sessions, the A&R man (now we call them Producers) always had the last word.

It is safe to assume that they perfected each and every song on the album in the exhausting way over a two day period until all were happy.

Professionals, not just phoning it in, but giving it their all in real-time, live in the studio. We will never see their like again.

nat gordon.jpg

5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Great background information. Thanks.

rxcory and DLant like this.
  6. Steve Hoffman

No problem.

It's rare from this middle 1950s era that we can really listen to the "struggle" of making an LP with a large orchestra. What's remarkable is that the issued takes themselves don't have any edits in them except for one song on the entire album, and that was only due to a technical glitch.

In other words, the conductor and producer relay the instructions to the orchestra and they do it, first time.

7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Such sweet notes and memories of this impeccable recording and your superbly gorgeous redeux on SACD and (my favorite) 45RPM. You guys made a whole lot of music fans beyond happy with this and the other Nat projects you worked so hard on. I've said it before but it truly warrants another heartfelt "THANK YOU" to you, Kevin and everyone else associated.

8. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

THIS record, the 45rpm reissue, is still my favorite when it comes to demo-ing the potential of vinyl. It's an absolutely luscious and engrossing listening experience.

DLant and Simon A like this.
  9. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

Love this picture of Nat and Gordon from their final collaboration in 1962, Where Did Everyone Go?

Kkfan, MMM, rxcory and 2 others like this.
  10. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

A stunning album as well. :)

rxcory, DLant and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  11. Dear lord, why oh why did the labels and/or studios purge the vaults every decade? Imagine how much amazing music we've lost to this abhorrent practice. We could have wonderful box sets of outtakes, demos, false starts, alternate takes and working sessions if all of the tape had been saved. Look at how much insight and enjoyment just one saved tape box - CD-R has brought. If only . . .

CBackley and DLant like this.
  12. BeatleD65

BeatleD65 Well-Known Member

Will you be realeasing it ? The outtake.

DLant likes this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

No one saved that stuff back then (or probably now). It was considered expendable. There would have been (counting the mono and stereo versions) about 35 to 40 separate reels just for the one LP of LOVE IS THE THING. Imagine if they saved everything for every session ever done at Capitol? It would have filled up half of Hollywood. They kept what they felt was essential, and we're glad they did.

14. Kkfan

Kkfan Forum Resident

An amazing feat!

Imagine the sacrilege when modern "producers" use technological gimmicks to overdub such painstakingly created gems... :crazy:

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Yup. I always say that I liken the "perfected" processed recordings of today to being Velveeta while the classic old recordings (warts and all) are like the finest chunk of Gruyere or Brie.

CBackley and rxcory like this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Time to play "Love Is The Thing" right now.

Kkfan, rxcory, Simon A and 1 other person like this.
  17. AnalogJ

I'm sitting in my seat before a performance of "Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time" at the Opera House in Boston. I'm reluctant to ask the producers to play it right now.

18. Steve Hoffman

Aw, give it a shot.

Kkfan likes this.
  19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I recently picked up a Capitol mono copy in beautiful condition. Really a joy to listen too. I bought The Nate King Cole Story 45 rpm set when it was released. Love it. Nate King Cole was my dad's favorite.

CBackley likes this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

Can I ask you to copy the matrix info for me on the mono lead out?

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It does not have the old black label.

W1-824-P38
    W2-824-P40

22. AnalogJ

Steve, I have an original black label in NM condition and sounds wonderful. I love how the cello line is so prominent that opens the record.

I'll be happy to forward the matrix information when I get a chance.

And as a tangent, I couldn't get the producers to play the album, but the play is wonderful. There is a fun twist particularly if you're into math (which both my wife and I are). It's the original National Theater production from London on tour.

CBackley likes this.
  23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes that cello line is a killer on some of the issues.:agree:

24. Steve Hoffman

40? Amazing.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  25. AnalogJ

S1 W1 821 N21 #2
    W2 824 N15 #4 (This was has 2 hash marks after the 5)

There is also a hand engraving of what looks like a small cartridge with a stylus facing the label on each side.

This copy has zero spindle marks on the levels. It's so clean, it appears unplayed prior to me.

BTW, that cello line is only this prominent on the mono.

CBackley and Steve Hoffman like this.