“Music is moving away from genres” says Spotify CEO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lucidae, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Well it's my feeling and I think you will find that I'm definitely not a troll. However I absolutely respect those with challenging opinions so feel free to give my attitude an adjustment.

mr.datsun likes this.
  2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Is it surprising that electronic music is taking over?
    You can hear it in Country, Rap, Pop, R&B.

I wish there was a modern day Keith Sweat that can up my game in the bedroom... not Drake or Kendrick Lamar. That's a loser's game.

3. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is there a maximum limit to wrongness? And 808 has reached it in your estimation? I don't really agree with either idea. :)

I tend to agree with your sentiment. Not sure why metal is any kind of exception, though. I think it can become an empty style or a pose like all others. Maybe metallers seem to mean it more because the genre(s) need energy to perform it.

But, I also wonder whether the idea of papier-mâché music is intriguing. What we are saying is that we can spot the fake, the re-gurgited, the music without real authentic . But when might that way of making music become an art form in itself?

4. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

You might consider checking out the show "Empire". While I doubt it can help you with "yo thang", it has restored some of my hope for R&B and even rap to a point. I think it shows that with context and direction, today's talent can in fact produce amazing stuff..."wrong" as I may be ; )

WolfSpear likes this.
  5. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I guess the idea with metal is that the more you fake it, the more it shows and it will ultimately leave you ignored (but ironically still with a small rabid following). Bands like The Darkness may or may not have been authentic but at the very least could muster a reaction.

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

You might agree with him but clearly you have a different reason for the move away from genre's than he does because he didn't say any of that. lol.

As for kiddos being so floored when they hear the old/"real" stuff...if that were true George Jones would be the best selling country artist. :)

I think the only people who are floored are a small group of people compared to the general public. Most want new sounds, especially younger people. Old people stick to what they know generally speaking.

As for the move away from genre's I think all he's really saying is that people are less concerned about genre's than they are about a mood they want to go with. Hence his comment about the search for music based on an activity or experience.

But there is a lot of cross pollination going on. Lot's of artists have been doing it for years, meshing different styles. I have albums in my collection that I couldn't say was one thing or another.

808_state likes this.
  7. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Genres have always been the bane of my life in physical record shops. Especially in shops like Selectadisc (now SisterRay) and HMV in London. The former's electronic music section was bewildering.

A to Z all the way. Although there is a good case of keeping Classical seperate

Robert C and McCool71 like this.
  8. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I think this was the adjustment my knee-jerk attitude needed. Guilty as charged :D

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

You can stick with genres in shops but really today you have so much music that borrows from other genres and I also tend to hea music from various genres, too.
    How to classify THE KILLS for example or The Bloc Party ? It is not true Techno or House . neither Electro nor Trance. Neither Rock nor Dub or Punk. Still you find influences from most of these genres. It is normal for people today raised on Punk, Metal, Electronic and of course Rock and Hip Hop. Some try to stick within a genre they feel comfortanle in but there are also those who don't and try out what works best for them. THE KILLS can play at a Rock Festival as well as in a Club, where they dance to electronic music-same with Bloc Party. It kinda started with MoWax, Ninja Tunes and DAFT PUNK. Since then 20 years have past and the hybrids are getting more and more interesting to me.
    I still do like m good old Prog Rock and Reaggae but I also love Hip hop, Classical music and Jazz. Even some Metal and Blues. The whole 9...

808_state likes this.
  10. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Maybe now I can make my Yacht Rock/synth-pop/Urban Cowboy solo album :D

Crimson jon and mj_patrick like this.
  11. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I understand. Did John Zorn fake it?

Also, I think sometimes fakes become so good at it that they become the real thing.

808_state likes this.
  12. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Certainly...or when an artist eventually becomes the very thing he makes fun of...i.e. Marilyn Manson. Stardom is a precipice with a steep cliff.

mr.datsun likes this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Fair enough. Sorry, I read your post as being quite dismissive of current innovations. Granted, pop music is and always will be vapid, but one need only scratch the surface to find a wide variety of cutting edge artists. I highly recommend streaming this year's Mercury Prize shortlist, every record is just as creative as Blackstar (which was short listed and I'll assume you've heard). One shouldn't expect to like it all, but it demonstrates the wealth of talent and particularly the manners in which artists are bending genres in modern music. Devote a few hours to it, it's worth it if only for a bit of musical awareness building :)

Bryan Harris and 808_state like this.
  14. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Nicely put...one of the many reasons this forum is an oasis in the desert.

Robert C likes this.
  15. drasil

drasil Former Resident

that sounds pretty great. I'd be interested.

driverdrummer likes this.
  16. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Personally I never cared much for genres. I think it's a very limiting way of looking at music. And I hate record stores that have a genre based collection – with many of the artist that I like I have no clue where to look. I like the amazon.com approach more: "other people who bought this also bought…".

The Spotify playlists would be nice if they would learn from what I am listening too. But from what I understand they're just doing big data analysis on all of their customers listening habits. I never cared for Spotify much because they don't seem too interested in what I'm really playing. I have a free account, so after every 4/5th song they do some advertising. If they advertise their own services, they never inspire me with a playlist suggestion I would actually like. I'm logged in all the time, so it would be quite easy to detect what I like from what I've been listening.

mr.datsun likes this.
  17. xantus

xantus Active Member

well then how come I can tell wether or not the restraunt is playing only post 2000 XM radio vs actual variety by wether I have a headache or not? I swear most top 40 pop is mixed down by someone doing a bit too much coke and has lost sense of moderation. older pop was not all sound engineered like a hammer to your mind. (caveat, I like many post 2000 releases.. this is NOT an all new music is **** post)

18. McCool71

McCool71 Forum Resident

Both Discover Weekly and Release Radar (both playlists updates once a week) are highly dependent on what you listen to.

These are the two big ones for me when it comes to discovering music and keeping up with new releases these days. And I stumble across more music that is interesting to me than I have ever done before. I highly recommend that you try them out.

gary191265, Yost and Robert C like this.
  19. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I don't use Spotify or any streaming (at this point) but I would find the lack of genres as annoying. I do search for music when buying by genre at times, looking at new artist I'm likely to refer to genre to get a general idea of their music and I do like to listen by genre on occasion. It is not like a firm definition tool for me but a general reference guide.

Robert C likes this.
  20. rocknsoul74

rocknsoul74 Forum Resident

I dislike those "mood playlists".

21. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I'm fine with doing away with genre boundaries. However, I will say that a lot of genre-bending (e.g. gypsy-jazz-industrial-folk or some such thing) is typically little more than a crutch for artists who can't write decent songs. If your "sound" is unusual enough, it can mask your inability to craft memorable hooks, decent choruses or evocative lyrics. I hear a lot of that.

22. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I like music being labeled in genre's. I mostly listen to jazz, some rock, 20th century classical, traditional country, Delta and Chicago blues, and little bits of others. I really, really like jazz. I really do not like hard metal rock music, or baroque classical, boy band music, or euro pop dance music..and want to avoid at all costs.

parman likes this.
  23. drasil

drasil Former Resident

probably because traditional songcraft isn't part of many types of music, by design. Merzbow pieces can't exactly be distilled to faithful versions for singer and piano, but this is neither a failing on Merzbow's part nor a flaw in the music itself, it's just a different approach to the idea of music.

Robert C likes this.
  24. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

Music is moving away from music.

[​IMG]

Tuco likes this.
  25. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

I love spotify! I'm a physical format guy, but it's nice to check new albums (or old) before I buy them. Plus I can listen to all my podcasts there. I think I got a year subscription for $60 on ebay.

As for genres, ....whatevvvver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.