What has been your biggest album disappointment?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Apr 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Couldn't agree more with your first point. They were some of their greatest songs!

2. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Stone Roses

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I liked about half of the second album but couldn't get into the third. I lost interest after that. There was a B-side called L.Wells from one of the second album singles that was better than most of the album tracks.

4. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Hold Your Fire by Rush. I was so disappointed, I gave my cassette away.

Fullbug and Rufus McDufus like this.
  5. sean monaghan

sean monaghan Forum Resident

Departure by Journey
    Not so much disappointed but I was a bit let down at flat sounding it was (especially with Any Way You Want It as the opening track).

6. Brendan Mulhaire

Brendan Mulhaire Forum Resident

Who By Numbers - The Who (Though in fairness how does one follow up on Quadropenia)
    Rock of the Westies
    - Elton John

7. ibis

ibis Happy as fish and gorgeous as geese

Kid A

Rubberpigg likes this.
  8. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Too many to think of: Doobies - Takin it to the Streets....McDonald destroys the Doobie sound
    Alice Cooper - Goes to hell, Trash...Alice turns into a Bon Jovi wannabe, Brutal Planet...wretched and pretty much everything that followed.
    Night Ranger - Midnight Madness
    Deep Purple - The Battle Rages on
    Springsteen - Born in the USA and everything after Human Touch/Lucky Town. (Except for "Magic" which is good for what it is)
    Steely Dan - Royal Scam and everything after....Sorry Im not into Jazz. I'm in the minority im sure.
    Aerosmith - Draw the Line. Kings and Queens and title track are great. The rest blows.
    AC/DC - For those about to rock.
    Bryan Adams - Into the Fire
    Bad Company - Run with the Pack and it kept getting worse after that
    Chicago - Hot Streets
    Cinderella - Heartbreak Station
    Dire Straits - Brother In Arms
    Dan Fogelberg - Windows and Walls...and then falls of a Cliff completely doing Bluegrass and Pop.
    Genesis - Abacab
    GNR - Should have been 1 and Done.
    Elton - Rock of the Westies
    Led Zeppelin - III
    Nugent - Cat Scratch Fever
    Petty - Into the Great wide open and everything that followed. Transformed from a Rocker to a Wilbury.
    Billy Squier - Emotions In Motion
    Styx - Cornerstone
    Supertramp - Famous last words
    38 Special - Strength in Numbers
    Robin Trower - For Earth Below
    Van Halen II
    Edgar Winter - Jasmine
    Yes - Tales from Topographic

Fullbug likes this.
  9. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Disc 2 is excellent ( minus track 1)

D.B. likes this.
  10. Malc

Malc Forum Resident

I'd agree wholeheartedly with Abacab, such a disappointment after the previous few albums, rescued only by the excellent Dodo and Keep it Dark... and whilst I quite enjoy No Reply At All that would have found a far better home on a Collins solo album, such is the arrangement...
    However, must say that, despite its Kathless notoriety, I actually quite like Hot Streets. Alive Again was certainly one of their best from that era and there are a number of damn fine toons alongside... far far far better than the abomination of what was to follow with Street Player...

11. SteveCam

SteveCam Forum Resident

The Who - It's Hard

Steve Miller - Abracadabra

Fullbug likes this.
  12. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

If you hate the album, stay away from the movie.
    It'll make you hate The Wall even more.

Michael Rose likes this.
  13. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  14. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I'm always a little taken aback when I see somebody say something like this, whether it be about music, film, or whatever. Every generation says this. You'd think ours would have twigged to this by now.

Are there bands out there as good as The Beatles, Rolling Stones, or The Kinks for people like us? No. But believe me: Radiohead, Kendrick Lamar, D'Angelo, et al mean every bit as much to their fans as The Fab Four mean to us. And those fans are the ones who decide who the greats are for this generation, not middle aged white guys who have purchased the Bowie catalog multiple times.

Music's relationship to culture...anything's relationship to culture...changes constantly. The one thing that doesn't change? Older people complaining that it's just not as good these days. If modern music hit us the same way the classics did, then it wouldn't be doing its job. We're not the bellwether of history.

PyroMessiah, DTK, Dr Faustus and 2 others like this.
  15. MelodyFair

MelodyFair West Coast Suburban Hausfrau

Polly & David's "The Endless River".

Thwacko likes this.
  16. Veltri

Veltri ♪♫♫♪♪♫♫♪

Interpol Antics was a letdown after enjoying their debut album Turn on the Bright Lights.

The Strokes First Impressions of Earth was so much worse than their already diminished 2nd album.

Weezer Make Believe was really disappointing. It seemed like a purposeful dumbing down. I lost total respect for them at that moment.

17. Joe Heimbuch

Joe Heimbuch Forum Resident

Funny..I think the same way and I'm a huge Prince fan. Just out of curiosity, if you were to trim this down to 45 minutes, what would the track list be. Mine? In no particular order:

1. Jam Of The Year
    2. The Holy River (love the guitar solo)
    3. Sleep Around
    4. My Computer
    5. Get Yo Groove On (kinda funny and it has a great groove)
    6. Soul Sanctuary
    7. One of Us (I know, weak cover, but I kinda like it, I like his vocal delivery and guitar)
    8. Slave
    9. Damned If I Do

18. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

mccartey, Press to Play, Give My Regards et

Lennon Sometime in NY YOrk City (his worst work ever)!
    RocknRoll, tied for worst

Neil Youngs Rockabilly Stuff,,pure crap

Blak crowes,cant remember was 100% hippie jams. Terrible

19. Joe Heimbuch

It's so odd..I love the Stones. I'm not a fanatic like some in this place (and I mean that in a very cool way), but I love me some Stones. That being said I got into them later when they were releasing Some Girls, Tattoo You, Steel Wheels, etc. So when I started to go back I was pretty excited because I hadn't picked up their "Sgt. Pepper", "Exile On Main Street". I put the new (at the time) box set on my Christmas list and promptly dove in headfirst Christmas night. I just couldn't connect and I wanted to. I really wanted to. Maybe I need to try harder. I know it's sacrilegious to say, but I totally love recent songs like "Doom and Gloom", "Rough Justice" and "Don't Stop", but I love a lot of the older songs too. Not sure why Exile didn't do much, but I guess to each his own..

Joe

D.B. likes this.
  20. Joe Heimbuch

I gotta agree here. I tried to dig that CD...and that's from a big U2 fan..

21. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

I would venture to say that most Beatles solo albums were a disappointment after the amazing run as a group.

Only All Things Must Pass, Ringo, and Band on the Run were top notch in my view in terms of studio work; though I do like Wings over America

I was bummed when Beat came out after King Crimson's Discipline.

Also bummed when Procol's Ninth was mediocre compared to what came before. I won't even begin to discuss Something Tragic.

Yes Albums after Relayer.

The Final Cut by Pink Floyd.

The U2 album after Achtung Baby (I can't even remember its name now...Lemon...Zooropa?)

All Stones albums post Some Girls.

22. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

When I brought Dylan's Down In The Groove home, played it and called a friend to tell him about it, he said I sounded like I had lost a close friend.

D.B. and Joe oliver like this.
  23. ProfBoz

ProfBoz Forum Resident

Incidentally, I, too, love a lot of records listed here as disappointments (Green, Be Here Now, Don't Tell A Soul)

Anyway, here a few from more recent years:

Prefab Sprout, "The Gunman"
    Paul McCartney, "Driving Rain"
    The Church, "Magician Among the Spirits"
    Travis, "12 Memories" (someone else mentioned this one, I think)
    Paul Weller, "22 Dreams" (I've since come around . . . )
    Fountains of Wayne, "Sky Full of Holes"

24. Joe Heimbuch

True, but the remix is awesome. Did you like it?

Joe

25. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

Bob Dylan - Oh Mercy. Maybe I was expecting too much. I know it was following some pretty bad 80s albums, but for some reason, it just didn't click for me. I need to go back and listen to it again. I liked what Lanois did years later on Time Out of Mind. That one did click.

Elvis Costello - Spike. I guess it was only natural, as much I loved EC and The Attractions, that his first album without them (not counting King of America) was a letdown for me. Also he had left Columbia and moved to WB. McCartney was there for "Veronica" and it made the Top 40, but I was really disappointed when I played the CD. I can't remember if the Rhino reissue helped or not.

R.E.M. - Green. Also a move from one label to another (IRS to WB). There were a few good songs but overall I felt they lost something when they became major label artists, especially after Document. I still loved Automatic For The People and some of their other WB output so it's not all a loss.

Steely Dan - Two Against Nature. Major SD fan - couldn't wait for this one. Can't remember much other than "Almost Gothic." I really liked Everything Must Go, though, although most fans seem to prefer Two Against Nature over that one.

I like to think of album disappointments in "real time" - i.e., buying it when it came out and not down the line somewhere. There have also been some of the latter when I am going back and exploring an artists' discography. For instance, after listening to Music From Big Pink and The Band, I can remember how much of a letdown Stage Fright was to me when I got into them in the early 80s.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.