New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I wouldn't mind hearing that comparison as I do own the 2011. I will say that although I have defended the 2011 a few tmes it is a digital cut and certainly inferior to my older pressings. I would least hope that the new BG cut easily beats the 2011. The 2011 to me sounds pretty good on headphones but loses something when played on speakers. Anyway, this is getting exciting with reports coming in! I am now horrified that I might recived another blowtorched bowl WYWH from the UK. If it does play maybe the whole second side will be wooshing.

John Bliss likes this.
  2. Both are good. Subject different sounds. None is better than the other. Just a taste difference

3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Mine aren't

SibilanceSegs and Vinyl Addict like this.
  4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Why don't you just take a chance and not wait for the review?

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Please post the dead wax inscriptions from the new one, thanks.

Norco74 and John Bliss like this.
  6. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

*edit* responding to these posts, from above:

"Not in my case. I have 2 different TT setups, friends have different carts TT's and it's the same rumbling/whooshing sound. Anyway. I contacted Amazon UK and they were kind enough to send me a replacement copy. See what happens."

"It's not any of the sound effects. Sounds like tape hiss to me. On both the 2011 and the BG 2016. Not on the original, or at least so little that i doesnt count. Its not a problem for me, and its not the same sound as some other members describe as pressing fault, it seems."

---------------------

I just listened to my 2016 UK WYWH and there is a very quiet amount of noise under the beginning of "wish you were here".

I then compared it to my 2011 copy, and the same noise was there, but more subdued

However: on the 2016 version I could also hear them push the faders up in the mix, before the solo acoustic gtr comes in. This would be on the master

on the 2011 I could NOT hear that

So possibly the 2016 has more detail & resolution?

Or on the 2011 maybe they used a low end EQ/filter on it? ( do they even do this? ). But that doesn't explain the missing fader hiss

I am pretty sure that's just in the recording....I mean, they have a transistor radio miked up, for the radio dial stuff. Also some other studio trickery, no doubt, to get the "radio in someone's bedroom" effect they wanted. that high end whirring sound in the background was surely put on as an effect; it's definitely a "low-fi" source & feel they were going for.

if you think that's bad, check out the swooshing on one channel of "flamenco sketches" on Kind of Blue ;)

sonofjim, John Bliss and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  7. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Yes, I hope that everyone who is referring to the ''noise'' on WYWH is NOT referring to the noise at the beginning of the title track...because that would be quite sad as it's supposed to be there.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    bootbox, hazard, sonofjim and 2 others like this.
  8. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

I have Meddle and OBC in the new series. Both sounded great but Meddle needed a few extra cleanings. After that, no worries. Neither of them would I classify as particularly noisy.

Mr_Vinyl likes this.
  9. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

[​IMG]
    I tried out a new brewery tonight and they had quite a bit of vinyl. You could request anything so I requested to see DSOTM. A 30th anniversary copy, complete with stickers, poster, etc. Thought I'd post this just for fun here.

Bolero, Kyhl, c-eling and 3 others like this.
  10. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

First thoughts of The Dark Side of the Moon (2016)

The North American release (from Amazon.ca) is the Bernie Grundman cut (BG is stamped in the deadwax).

Appearance wise, the black cover looks amazing, and I manage to peel both the Hype sticker and the purple 'PINK FLOYD - THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON' sticker off the shrink wrap and stick it on it's new plastic outer sleeve cover that I use for all my records. As usual 2 posters, 2 stickers. The band poster has been corrected thus Gilmour and Waters are now right handed again (lol). The gatefold has the new 'PINK FLOYD RECORDS' where the usual EMI logo was bottom left hand corner. The vinyl looks beautiful, with the blue rimmed triangle and again PFRecords.

It's difficult to review this album because there are so many varied opinions that what I think is good, others might loathe.... so I will just stick to the basics. The vinyl (or at least mine) is very quiet. and where there is the usual high frequency tracking errors (sibilance), this release seems to have corrected most of those issues. It's punchier than the 30th, but not as punchy as some of the early releases that I've heard, which might be due to the age of the master tape. Also, it's not bass happy like the MFSL... but it's quiet like it, in terms of hiss and such.

The stereo separation is very good, and I like that hasn't been EQ'd to death. Neutral is probably a horrible word and well balanced is too general, but I will say that based on the mid 70's SMAS11163 (when it doesn't skip) as well as the digital copy of the UK (Solid Blue Triangle) 1st Issue that I have, it's almost like that they cut these records to be true to the original LP releases opposed to an enhanced analogue CD, and that is what I think the purpose of this campaign is, to create suitable replacements for the original releases. Thus a new generation will get a chance to hear (as close as possible) what these sounded like in (this case) 1973 when it was originally released, also for folks who are looking to replace their original/older copies with something that sounds similar. I think Bernie's involvement was to be like good chef. Cut them well done, but not over done, and this record is no exception.

RubenH, robtodd, rontoon and 15 others like this.
  11. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

is this me

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I find it very informative.

I will record first 30 seconds of WYWH title track from the following:
    - 2016 BG Cut
    - 2011 DS Cut
    - 2011 SACD Layer

Hope it comes out alright, as I really want to get you guys to hear what I am talking about. Perhaps there will be someone here with that 'a-aha' moment to solve this "mystery".

Kind Regards

Bolero, Rekkerds and SibilanceSegs like this.
  12. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Done. Does anyone know how to share this now?

Tried to upload to soundcloud but it was automatically removed for the copyright violation :D

Regards

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

pleas post the rest of the deadwax numbers, thanks

14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

2011DSCutWYWH - Clyp » DS 2011 Vinyl

2016BGCutWYWH - Clyp » BG 2016 Vinyl.

Apologies for the crudeness of the recording. It was just my mobile placed next to LH speaker.

There's also a 2nd cough on the DS file (my wife) that's not part of the recording :D Even this should give you a clue about the defect.

Regards

c-eling and SibilanceSegs like this.
  15. Domnation

Domnation Member

Obscured By Clouds- Song Stay sounds like nothing Vs the original UK first. I'm not listening to the rest. Very disappointing..... No bass - No presence and Punch. I Had a cigarette on this one not a cigar ;-))

hi_watt likes this.
  16. Domnation

Domnation Member

EU - DSOTM cover looks amazing like velvet. Super clean records and flat. No need for the first time to clean a Pink floyd 2016 reissues.
    Dead wax BG 1cc902a - 5099902987613

FashionBoy, SibilanceSegs and Pancat like this.
  17. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

you beat me to it but i must correct:

EU DSOTM 2016
    deadwax:
    BG side1 166902A 5099902987613-A
    BG side2 166901B 5099902987613-B

2 posters+2stickers

not tested yet, i'm at work...

SibilanceSegs and Domnation like this.
  18. Domnation

Domnation Member

Well done et vive la france ;-))))

AlexC likes this.
  19. Boyan

Boyan Forum Resident

Just got the WYWH 2016 - besides a bent corner it's perfect soundwise, but I have to say I like better the Sax version.
    I will give it a more in depth listening tonight, but it sounded thinner, compared to the Sax version.
    I don't know, it just didn't move me at all.
    Waiting for DSOTM and Animals, I hope they are better.
    Meddle was perfect though, my favourite until now.

FashionBoy, Jack and grandegi like this.
  20. hazard

hazard Forum Resident

I listened to my MFSL Dark Side tonight. I know that it is often criticised on this forum, and without another version to compare with, all I can say is that it is a very satisfying listen. Ive had it over 30 years, vinyl is still excellent and although the cover unfortunately has a split seam, it still has the price sticker on it. Best $12 I ever spent .

So will I buy a new version? I can't think of any good reason why I would. If I'm going to spend money I want some new music, mot something which I already own.

SibilanceSegs and Terry like this.
  21. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

UK 2016 BG..TDSOTM.... :edthumbs:

OMG this is good, fantastic bass, beautiful mid range, excellent separation and sound stage, vocal mix tremendous , clean & flat. This reissues sounds as good as my 1973 SHVL 804 1st / 2nd press without the snap crackle and pop of the original which I bought from new, well done to all concerned with this excellent reissue.:goodie:

22. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Email from Amazon UK saying delivery has been delayed until 7th November.

That's still three sleeps away! :waiting:

23. Domnation

Domnation Member

Well.... For the price, that (UK - EU) DSOTM 2016 sounds perfect VS a UK 1st A3/B2. Maybe volume a bit lower that makes loose a bit the drums. Looks like sometime BG was afraid to push the botton up on his Tubes. Anyway.... i'm happy thinking that we don't need to spend thousand anymore for a good copy of that one.:pineapple:

FashionBoy and Pancat like this.
  24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

They are telling me Nov 17
    However, they do tend to show up a few days early every time.

25. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That's weird, I thought "Stay" was perhaps the most improved track from the remastered LP. That chorus part ("Midnight blue/burning gold") isn't all hissy like it is on other versions I've heard. I'd listen to the whole thing if I were you - the album as such isn't very bassy in any version I've ever heard. Although one poster did identify a particular vintage press that was very bassy - that may be the one you have.

John Bliss likes this.