New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ptijerm, Apr 9, 2016.

1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I'm almost sad to say it looks like I'll be getting this one! I've got so many versions of this album, it's just insane. I was kinda hoping this one would be ho-hum so I could pass in it. :laugh:

FashionBoy, Geir, Domnation and 2 others like this.
  2. Raving Russell

Raving Russell Forum Resident

Anyone seen a copy in Sainsbury's yet?

3. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

Wow, totally different experience. I think an argument could be made that OBC has the largest improvement of this entire run.

Edit to say i do not have a 1st, but stil, way huge improvement over the other versions ive heard.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  4. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Me too. Now I'll part with a ho-hum regular release and think about getting this too. I really was hoping that the 30th would be fine. It still may be fine for my use. Decisions decisions.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

It's hard to make out on an open air recording like this. Is this anomaly supposed to be the diatant power drill whine in the radio sequence of the song?

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The proof will be in the playing but I don't ever think I'll part with the 30th. Knowing that it's all-analog and that it's the first time that they cut the album without curtailing the high end (or whatever they did - it's been discussed and I don't remember the exact terminology) makes it unlikely to be disposable. But I'm at least curious to try the new one.

bru87tr and Efus like this.
  7. Domnation

Domnation Member

Will give another try then.... Thanks for that :agree::agree:

dkmonroe likes this.
  8. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Yes, I'll be keeping the 30th. It's a matter of asking myself, how many copies do I "need"? And is the difference worth the investment when there are other titles that I want to buy.

I'm just grateful that these weren't numbered. :D

Efus and dkmonroe like this.
  9. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

a
    I love love love the MFSL, listened to it Wednesday night.

10. Mithras Tauroctonos

Mithras Tauroctonos New Member

Isn't that BG part of the Optimal Media code? There should be a standalone BG.

11. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Well I've never really liked the DSOTN used vinyl I've found throughout the years. In all fairness it's difficult to find them in nice enough condition, especially at decent prices. I've sold off those pressings in the past year, and lately my go to has been the Japan black face non TO CD, and the SACD from a few years ago. I'm curious to hear more reviews from you guys before I make up my mind about whether to give this new pressing a shot.

hi_watt likes this.
  12. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Talk about multiple copies of TDSOTM. I have the 90's Sax cd, 2003 SACD, 2011 cd, 80's original cd, two US Harvest vinyl pressings, the MFSL, a beat up German copy I bought in Prague, the 30th ( my favorite). And yes I just ordered the BG cut. Why the hell do I own so many copies? I guess I like the album.

13. SibilanceSegs

As I said before, I am working on purchasing a UK Harvest A3/B3 2nd issue. Between that, the MFSL, the 30th and the 2016, I would like to make a proper comparison between all of them.

14. SibilanceSegs

Mine has a stand alone BG

Mithras Tauroctonos likes this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

My copy of DSOTM has WG/NRP :(

I did lose my glasses again though so maybe I'm seeing things...

16. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Optimal codes for 2016 do start with BG,
    But in this case, the BG is the mastering initials of Bernie Grundman.
    The EU version of DSOTM pressing plant looks to be Record Industry in Holland,
    which should also mean that both the USA and EU versions are the same,
    just like 4 other titles in the reissue series:

EU DSOTM 2016 -Record Industry in Holland
    5099902987613-A BG 16690 2A
    5099902987613-B BG 16690 1B

EU & USA MEDDLE 2016 - Record Industry in Holland
    0190295997076-A BG 16909 1A
    0190295997076-B BG 16909 1B

EU & USA OBSCURED BY CLOUDS 2016 - Record Industry in Holland
    0190295996970-A BG 16910 1A
    0190295996970-B BG 16910 1B

EU & USA ATOM HEART MOTHER 2016 - Record Industry in Holland
    0190295997083-A BG 16908 1A
    0190295997083-B BG 16908 1B

EU & USA THE WALL 2016 - Record Industry in Holland
    5099902988313-A 16736 1A BG
    5099902988313-B 16736 1B BG
    5099902988313-C 16736 1C BG
    5099902988313-D 16736 1D BG

17. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Member

Wow, just finished the first run of DSOTM. It's just fantastic. Can't really compare to other vinyl versions since I only got an Quadrophonic version. What stands out most to me are the guitars, they sound brilliant. Hard to imagine a 30th copy sounding much better.

I like that it doesn't sound like it was remastered, bass and treble are balanced and not too "modern" sounding. So I understand that some feel it could be 'punchier'.

Tape hiss is evident to me, but I am listening LOUD. :goodie:

The packaging is sweet as well. The cardboard has a really nice feel to it and the disc sits comfortably in a black poly-lined inner sleeve.

18. Bigrfish

Bigrfish Active Member

Looks like you have a lot to choose from there Dr. I've got more copies than I need as well,including the mofi, and wonder why I bother with new issues when I consistently find myself choosing the 2003
    Sacd over everything else anyways. I do not own the 30th on vinyl tho and wonder how that sounds compared to the Sacd. Seems a lot of you really like the 30th on vinyl.
    Cheers

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

to update the score card for those following:

release date...............Album.....................EU Remaster/EU Pressing.....USA Remaster/USA Pressing

june 3 2016 Piper At the Gates of Dawn - 2016... Bernie Grundman/Optimal...........Bernie Grundman/RTI
    june 3 2016 Saucerful of Secrets - 2016...............Bernie Grundman/Optimal............Bernie Grundman/RTI
    june 3 2016 More Soundtrack - 2016...................Bernie Grundman/Optimal ...........Bernie Grundman/RTI
    june 3 2016 Ummagumma (2lp) - 2016 ..............Bernie Grundman/Optimal............Bernie Grundman/RTI
    Sept 23 2016 Atom Heart Mother - 2016.............Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry......Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry
    Sept 23 2016 Meddle - 2016 ................................Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry......Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry
    Sept 23 2016 Obscured By Clouds - 2016 ............Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry......Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry
    Nov 4 2016 Dark Side of the Moon 2016 .............Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry......Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry
    Oct 14 2016 Wish You Were Here 2016...............Bernie Grundman/Optimal ...........Doug Sax TML 2011/RTI repress
    Nov 18 2016 Animals - 2016 ...............................Bernie Grundman/???????????......Bernie Grundman/???????????
    Aug 26 2016 The Wall 2016 - 2 lps .....................Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry.......Bernie Grundman/Rec Indstry
    ??????? 2016 The Final Cut
    ????? 2016 Momentary Lapse of Reason
    Aug 26 2016 The Division Bell 2016 ................. Doug Sax TML 2014/Optimal .........Doug Sax TML 2014/Quality Records
    ???? 2016 The Endless River

20. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Mine has been sent to the U.K from Prague via Cologne - odd. GZ Media presses records in the Czech republic.

21. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Amazon? Your shipment comes from their distribution centre, not directly from the pressing plant.

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I prefer the warmth of analog over digital, especially when it comes to this album. My 30th definitely brings out the analog goodness.

mike catucci and SibilanceSegs like this.
  23. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Yeah, Amazon. Some round trip though, from Holland, or Gemany in the case of Optimal.

24. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Listening away the moments that make up a dull day
    Tweaking and wasting the hours in an off-hand way
    Kicking around on a piece of sound from your headphones
    Waiting for that review to show you the way

Tired of lying in the listening chair staying home listening to Purple Rain
    You are old and life is short and there are records to A/B today
    And then one day you find ten years of reissues have got behind you
    No one told you what was in the deadwax, you missed this week's 15% off sale

And the record spins round and round to catch up with the label but there's inner groove distortion
    Rumble in the grooves to come up behind you again
    The sound is the same in a relative way, but this pressing's off-center
    Shorter of breath of life and one spin closer to meh

Every Record Store Day line is getting longer, never seem to be first in line
    Mofi reissue plans that either come to naught or Jimmy Page screws a remastering up
    Obsessing about over hang is the audiophile way
    This record's long, this side is over, thought I'd something more to post

Hoffman, Forum again
    I like to be post when I can
    When I put on something cold and brittle
    It's good to warm my tubes up for a while
    Far away, across the listenign room
    The trolling of the naysayers
    Calls the faithful to their keyboards
    To post about a reissue's magic spell

25. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

No rumble on side 2 of UK WYWH, but lots of crackling in the quiet parts on both sides, even after cleaning it. I asked for a refund and they told me to keep the record. I have all the other recent PF reissues and all are dead quiet.