Providence reord stores (redux)

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Lebowski, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lebowski

Lebowski Hey, careful man, there's a beverage here! Thread Starter

The other thread on Providence had been closed so I can't bump it, and it hasn't been updated for a few years.

Heading there next weekend and looking for current recommendations for record stores. I've seen the reviews on Yelp, but am looking for suggestions from fellow forum members.

Thanks in advance!

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Depending on where you're starting from, if you are heading down 95 from 128, the Newbury Comics store on Rt. 1 in Norwood MA is a 5 minute detour and well worth your time.

ARK likes this.
  3. Lebowski

Thanks. Have been there a number of times and like it a lot.
    We are meeting another family in Warwick and staying at a hotel there. So we will be driving into Providence from there.

So far we are thinking of hitting Round Again, Armageddon, and Olympic. Sounds like the owner of Round Again is kind of a cranky guy, which usually turns me off, but the other dad I'm going with says they get some good stuff.

4. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

Don't forget In Your Ear, Analogue Undergroud, and The Time Capsule.

5. 666666

666666 Forum Resident

Lebowski likes this.
  6. Lebowski

Thanks! Will add them to the list. Probably won't have enough time to visit more than 3-4 unfortunately.

7. Lebowski

Thought I would update this for the sake of posterity. We hit four record stores in Providence over the weekend:
    1. Round Again Records. The owner of this store has a reputation (particularly on Yelp) for being kind of a grump. We did not experience any hostility, but he was not very warm and fuzzy either. What bugged me about this place is that he told us he does most of his business on ebay and sells the interesting stuff there. I hate when brick & mortar stores reserve their best stuff for ebay, it undermines the whole point of their appeal. He did admit that the only reason he keeps the B&M store open is because it gets him out of the house. Otherwise, he had some 45s and CD, and a mix of used and new vinyl (I noticed a few Speakers Corner titles for sale).
    2. Olympic Records. I liked this place a lot. The owner was super nice, and he had a nice mix of new and used records. There was some really good stuff in the New Arrivals bins. He also seemed to have a decent selection of 45s, but I don't know much about them and cannot really weigh in. Prices seemed decent, though he uses an unusual pricing method (e.g., $10.61 or $9.78).
    3. Armageddon Shop. Wow, paradise for metalheads (is that one word or two??). Evidently they have another store in Harvard Square, which is like 10 minutes away from me. Will have to check it out. Their specialty is metal (and maybe punk?). TONS of metal on vinyl. The clerk was super accommodating, making suggestions and playing stuff for us. I felt bad not buying any of those things, but I did buy something else. Clearly geared toward heavier music, but they had a nice selection of classic and alternative rock. The jazz section was lackluster, but that's no surprise.
    4. Analog Underground. There were definitely some interesting things to be found here, but my friend and I both agreed that the prices were high. Also, the owner seemed a bit insincere and (dare I say) a tiny bit arrogant.

8. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

The Harvard Square Armageddon also has a strong line in experimental music and a surprisingly decent jazz section that runs modern.

Lebowski likes this.
  9. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

Time Capsule is fun. I've only been there once and thought of them more as a comic shop than a music store though. This is assuming I've go the right store.

There is a newbury comics in Warwick. Also an fye in the mall. And another newbury in the providence place mall.

10. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

There is also Rhode Island Antiques Mall in Central falls right off I 95 before Atlleboro.Plenty of vinyl never moves giving the impression nothing is ever there.The good stuff sporadically appears and disappears quick.For example I found a RL Zep II Misfits originals metallica MegaForces AC/DC Australian Alberts,UK Floyds and iron Maidens,Bowie Promos.But like the time capsule,armegeddon,Olympic,Underground Analog, It is very hit or miss.Newbury Comics in warwick and providence is VERY limited on used,rejects from other locations,although I found most of my grail cds there less than $20.In Your ear in Warren eventually gets interesting stuff and often rare.Round Again while also hit or miss gets the best gems in the best condition and price.Eccentric drunk owner will be talking to himself but he`s a geat guy underneath!FYE Forget it a waste of time.
    Like all record stores some things are way overpriced while others seem to slip through cheap and in better condition than the same record in lesser condition priced higher in another store.

Overall the best store is Newbury Comics in Norwood Mass-fastest changing inventory often in the best condition and lots of mark downs.Plus a great selection of new releases and reissues.My ADVICE GO THERE FIRST!
    The Olympic Records guy is very approachable probably the most knowledgeable and open dude anyplace.Great selection of indie and 45s also classics and jazz.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.