Poll: Dark Side of the Moon 30th Anniversary vs 2016 BG Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dorian75, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President Thread Starter

If you are lucky enough to own both of these vinyl pressings of this seminal album, please indicate which sounds best to you on your system.

SibilanceSegs likes this.
  2. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

30th anniversary - surface noise and all.

3. Dorian75

I'm hoping that everyone who has voted actually owns both, and are not just excited about the 2016.

4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Never heard the 2003, soi i can't vote, but the 20016 BG cut sounds amazing to my ears.

Kundalini, Dam and Dorian75 like this.
  5. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

I have both, have not had a chance to compare directly

individually, I can attest that they both sound great though

6. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

No question on my system. 'Time' no longer gives me a spit shower from David. That right there is enough to prefer the BG cut.

7. monovinyl

monovinyl Senior Member

Is the new 2016 BG AAA?

abzach likes this.
  8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

so the 2016 is a brand new cut? I just assumed they had would have just used the same cut as the 2013 40th, which was itself a re-package of the 2011 cut I believe...

9. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The first post on this page should clear it up for ya.;)

New Pink Floyd vinyl reissues »

Kundalini likes this.
  10. JP Christian

Does this mean I have to buy it again?

ok, I don't *have* to - but I have two UKs (A4/B3 and A10/B9), a Japanese (EMI 2nd issue), US Harvest (Wally), the EMI 100, The 2003 30th, the 2013 40th (same as the 2011 as far as I know) and a counterfeit Green vinyl copy...

If there's a significant improvement over the 40th, I may have to buy this one too...
    (Fool that I am...)

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  11. Dorian75

Please search for your answer on that other thread. Your Q has been asked and answered over there.

Kundalini and Vinyl Addict like this.
  12. JP Christian

I was thinking aloud - no need to be quite so abrupt.

13. Dorian75

I didn't intend to be rude, I was just stating a fact.

Kundalini likes this.
  14. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Both sound real good...prefer the new 2016 BG (clarity, dynamics, and stage of my very quiet 30th, but smoooooother and I just prefer listening to it).

Kundalini and Dorian75 like this.
  15. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Yeah the 30th sounds more intimate, but on a lower end system the 2016 will most certainly sound smother since it's not cut as hot and is easier to track.

16. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

It's only a few bucks that you'd blow on something else. I say buy the EU release of the 2016 LP.

Vinyl Addict and JP Christian like this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

30th Anniversary. Too late to vote though. Can't see anyone being disappointed with either but as pointed out before the 2016 may be less fussy over quality of cartridge and arm. Was there an officially designated 40th or was this just a straight repress of the 2011?

18. JP Christian

Yes, I've pulled the trigger now on all of the 2016 re-issues bar Animals and the Wall, which I may get later, most of which were only £15 each at What Records - I was very impressed with the 2016 Meddle which was given to me as a birthday present, and I already own a UK A1/B1 Harvest original and the Mofi Anadisc 200... I'm a glutton for re-issues it seems...

19. JP Christian

I bought the EU 40th, and I assumed it's simply a repress of the 2011 with a different sticker.

20. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

I have a theory that the 30th may be very well a "audiophile" record to which low end carts find it difficult to track. The 2016('s) are cut with the general public in mind which is one of the many reasons I believe Bernie was chosen for this project. That theory will be tested soon when I upgrade my cart. The only other logical explanation which many have pointed out is some are bad pressings and others aren't. What's interesting about my 30th, some moments are magical and some aren't.

21. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

It would be very instructive if we could get two sets of needledrop samples: one from someone who subjectively prefers the 30th and one from someone who prefers the 2016. That might provide a starting point for a more scientific answer to the question of how system-dependent (or not) these preferences are.

Volunteers?

22. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

I would love to do it but my TT and setup is sub-par, so it wouldn't be a fair comparison.

23. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'll try to find some time to do this. I stress 'try'.

SibilanceSegs and c-eling like this.
  24. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

@Ben Adams
    Ben do you have both? Your transfers always sound good and are perfect for comparisons.
    I have neither on lp, just a hodgepodge of compact discs and the SACD, this could be useful for those looking to pick this up on this format :cheers:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  25. JP Christian

As soon as I get the 2016 BG, I will - my cartridge is quite forgiving of the 30th, which is interesting as it usually doesn't pull any punches with any pressing that may have flaws, so I will be equally intrigued to see show it fares.

Goatboy, c-eling and SibilanceSegs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.