Massdrop Sennheiser HD-6xx (aka. HD-650) $199

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by whaiyun, Nov 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident Thread Starter

DirkGentlyUK likes this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

How do you know they are HD 650s?

3. Pancat

Pancat Senior Member

There's no mystery that these are the 650s.

4. Dr. J.

I haven't signed up yet and thought someone could quote the description or something. The image on the linked page isn't very helpful.

5. Dr. J.

I have been looking to upgrade my headphones and was thinking about getting the HD 598s but for $50 more this may be a no brainer.

Bill likes this.
  6. whaiyun

It's limited to 5000 units. It's been one hour since the sale started and they've sold 875 of them already.
    Basically a HD-650 with a difference color paint and detachable 6' cord.

7. Dr. J.

Thanks! It looks like I won't be able to hem and haw on this one.

8. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

I can't sign up there. Site too busy?

9. whaiyun

Yeah I think the site got really slow right when the drop went live. Sort of like Bullmoose the Monday after RSD :(

10. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

It's beyond slow. And I need to go to the polls in a few minutes. I'd like to get a set. Any chance they are fakes? I've never heard of this site.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  11. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

That looks like a great deal...somebody posted that earlier in the week. Does anybody know if these would work through the headphone jack of a McIntosh C2500, or does it require a separate headphone amp to sound right?

12. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Drop Inactive.

13. jeffsab

jeffsab Forum Resident

I managed to get in. Took an hour and 45 mins. of refreshing my browser.

whaiyun likes this.
  14. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Looks like it's done.

15. gov

gov Forum Resident

sounds like it was a real poop show

16. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

17. npc210

npc210 Forum Resident

Kind of surprised by the popularity of this drop. Maybe more people are current/budding audiophiles than I assumed.

jeffsab likes this.
  18. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Apparently a lot of drama. I didn't try buying one. Looks like a lot of people ended up buying several due to hitting the buy button more than once thinking the first transaction didn't go through.

I'm expecting there will be some good Black Friday deals on the HD650 and/or HD600. I got a HD650 last year in a Black Friday sale from Adorama for $299 with free shipping. No drama trying to buy them. Plus it has a proper length cable with a proper 1/4" jack on the end rather than a wimpy little 1/8" jack. Or just go to Amazon right now and get a HD650 for $338 or HD600 for $265.

crooner likes this.
  19. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I don't know. I don't even know if it would have tubes in the headphone circuit. I've never tried the headphone jack from any McIntosh preamp. I have no idea how they sound with the HD650 or HD600.

You could ask McIntosh or a dealer. But then the question becomes what does it mean to sound right or good enough compared to a separate headphone amp. That gets subjective and depends on what level of external headphone amp you compare it against.

snorker likes this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Massdrop is totally legit. I purchased my earbuds (Dunu 2000Js), my DAC/AMP (Aune X1s) and a headphone stand (Just Mobile) from them over the past two years. Not all of their drops are great deals (you have to do your research) but some are. The Aune was my best deal at 33% off what Amazon and others were selling it for.

21. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

I signed but I decide to go for the discounted Audioquest Nighthawks instead.

22. snorker

snorker Big Daddy

Thanks. The wiring schematic shows a tube in the headphone amp circuit. I'm not really that much into headphones for home listening, so I suspect it would be good enough for my purposes.

EDIT:
    I stand corrected. It is not tube-based.
    From McIntosh:
    "No the headphone section is solid state, but it is our hi-drive headphone system and sounds better than most built in HP sections ( but not like our separate headphone amp)."

23. Bryan T

Bryan T Forum Resident

By the time I saw the e-mail about the drop being active they were sold out. Bummer. I was planning to buy a pair of 600 or 650 headphones soon, but I'll have a harder time paying the typical price knowing that the 6xx were so much cheaper. Silly how my brain works.

24. whaiyun

All that really matters is the impedance and the wattage. HD-650s shouldn't be hard to drive but obviously sound better with higher voltage.

25. timind

timind phorum rezident

I tried a few minutes after the drop started but got tired of watching the spinning circle waiting for my request to process. Severed my connection figuring I'd try tomorrow.:doh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.