Amnom "Ami" Hadani, legendary Radio Recorders and TTG recording and mastering engineer, RIP..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I love the mastering work of Ami Hadani. His stereo 1961 cutting of Ella's CLAP HANDS, HERE COMES CHARLIE is amazing considering how long the sides are.

We've talked about him before here, mainly regarding the legendary TTG Studios on Highland. Ami was an Israeli from the north in a place called Kfar Giladi.

Yair Nitzani tells me that Ami passed away a few days ago.

http://www.mountsinaiparks.org/obituary/128131/Amnon-Hadani/#memories

For those of you who remember TTG Studios, TTG stood for Tilhas Teezee Gesheften a name of a group of Jewish Brigade members formed immediately following WWII. Under the guise of British military activity, this group engaged in the assassination of Nazis and SS conspirators, facilitated the illegal emigration of Holocaust survivors to Israel, and smuggled weaponry for the Haganah.

marka, Perisphere and Naughty Chord like this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

RIP Ami Hadani. Jimi Hendrix recorded there did Ami work with Jimi?

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow, that's quite a history and he's worked on a great many albums according to AllMusic.com.

Rest in Peace. :(

4. Steve Hoffman

He did, of course.

John Fell and old school like this.
  5. Steve Hoffman

Funny, I never knew what TTG stood for..

6. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Thank you for the clarification on the name. I read somewhere that it stood for "Two Terrible Guys" and I bought that hook, line and sinker.

I had visited that studio several times when my dad was a business rep for the Local 47 musicians union.

7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I believe he engineered Freak Out too.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A very sad loss in the record world, Steve. Ami Hadani was a legend and was involved with so many awesome recordings we all know and cherish here. He can't be replaced. A real pioneer in music.

9. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Zappa once in a interview said TTG stood for "Two Tough Guys".

It must have been a good place since Freak Out and Absolutely Free were both recorded there when it was a 4-track facility, and Zappa had access to the 5-track machine that Paul Buff built during the Pal Studios/Studio Z days.
    Hadani did some incredible work in the 60's, he knocked it out of the park with the his recordings of Ella and Basie.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

Pretty sure Ami let one believe whatever they wanted about what the initials TTG stood for. To HIM, they stood for freedom.

Steve Litos, GuildX700 and showtaper like this.
  11. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

RIP Ami.

12. Albprods

Albprods Well-Known Member

no he didn't it was angel balestier that worked with Jimi but he was always around the studio at that time was really busy

13. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I have one side I know was cut by him - a blank groove that was on the back of a one-sided promo of The Mamas & The Papas' "Creeque Alley," pressed by Monarch. It was signed 'AMI H."

14. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Wow! I didn't know any of this. RIP.

15. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The Doors, Eric Burdon & even Captain Beefheart recorded at TTG in the late 1960s

16. Kent Tunks

Kent Tunks Well-Known Member

I was always told it stood for "Two Talented Gentlemen" but evidently that was not the case.

17. Steve Hoffman

Recruits for the Jewish Brigade on the way to Palestine.. w37_53064427.jpg

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

Tilhas Tizig Gesheften (commonly known by its acronym TTG, loosely translated as "kiss [literally, lick] my **** business") You did not mess with the Jewish Brigade. After World War II They did illegal emigration of Holocaust survivors to Mandatory Palestine. And killed many SS and Wermacht members who did atrocities against European Jews. The Brigade was deadly and you did not mess with them! So TTG studios is a reminder of what happened in World War II and what to do going forward for Jews who were persecuted.

19. mike kerns

mike kerns New Member

I did not know Ami, but I purchased his 1967 Ghia 450 SS from his sister today...Beautiful car, his pride a joy..
    His wife and her sister had some great stories about him and the TTG studios.
    I remember being at TTG in the 1970's, just kid then, with my find and his dad Perry Botkin who was producing a Carpenters record there. What a great experience it was..I can say I got the recording studio fever after that day in TTG...
    His partner and engineer Tom Hidley had a lot to do with my studios too.. I own Paramount Recording in Hollywood and Encore Studios in Burbank..

20. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Welcome Mike; that's an interesting car with an interesting provenance, and I like that connection going all the way back to the 70's.
    Take good care of her!

mike kerns likes this.
  21. mike kerns

mike kerns New Member

Thanks Ben,
    Did you know Bruce Botnick by any chance? I'm just looking for people that might have known Ami that I might be able to contact. I would love to speak to someone about his car to find out more information. His family really had very limited knowledge of the car and Ami didn't really talk about about it much unfortunately..

22. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Can't help you there, Mike.
    Suggest you contact or join the car group - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ghia450ss/info
    They may have a register of cars and their history.

23. yair nitzani

yair nitzani New Member

I remember Ami talking proudly about his Ghia with a lot of respect. He took us (Yoav Gera and me) around Hollywood with it from time to time in 1976.

24. mike kerns

mike kerns New Member

Wow, that is great to hear Yair. If you ever get the Los Angeles look me up and we can go for another ride and talk about Ami, maybe we would answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.