Your top 5 albums of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LadyGrinningSoul, Jul 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

1. My Spanish Heart - Chick Corea (duh)
    2. Close to the Edge - Yes
    3. Light as a Feather - Chick Corea
    4. Paradise Theatre - Styx
    5. Yessongs - Yes

2. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

Can I do another?

1. Exile On Main St.
    2. Moondance
    3. Third/Sister Lovers
    4. Revolver
    5. The Smile Sessions

3. nedryerson982

nedryerson982 Member

Excluding my favorite jazz records:

1. Sticky Fingers (Stones)
    2. Exile on Main St. (Stones)
    3. London Calling (Clash)
    4. On the Beach (Neil Young)
    5. Blonde on Blonde (Dylan)

And to round out the top ten just cause:

6. Revolver (Beatles)
    7. The Wild, the Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle (Springsteen)
    8. Pet Sounds (Beach Boys)
    9. Village Green Preservation Society (Kinks)
    10. Moondance (Van Morrison)

Muggles likes this.
  4. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

Ramones- Rocket to Russia
    Budgie- Budgie
    Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti
    Steely Dan- Aja
    AC/DC- Let There Be Rock (Aussie pressing)

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Nah, I have too many favorite albums. At least a hundred and this wouldn't fit to this thread.^^

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Top 5 albums, Hmmmmm ......
    Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
    A Low Spark Of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
    Houses Of The Holy - Led Zeppelin
    Leftoverture - Kansas
    E Plubiris Funk - Grand Funk

7. gfong

gfong Forum Resident

Joy Division Unknown Pleasures
    Kiss self titled
    David Bowie Ziggy
    Peter Gabriel So
    Rod Stewart Every Picture

8. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The first five Megadeth albums.

9. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

1. Exile on Main Street
    2. Led Zeppelin II
    3. London Calling
    4. Piece of Mind
    5 (tie): Love, Electric, Sonic Temple

10. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Getz/Gilberto - for me this probably will be number one always and for all time. this album is just beautiful and never fails to put me in just the best mood.

Ugly Casanova - Sharpen your teeth - I could and do skip about a third of the tracks on this album. But even with that it is number two. songs like barnacles, hotcha girls and smoke like ribbons encapsulate everything I love about Isaac Brock's lyrics and music. just a beautiful album, the lyrics and soundscapes always hit me.

Radiohead - The Bends - tough one to pick out of radiohead. but the last album where Thom let his emotion out in his voice. every song smacks you right there.

The verve - A Northern Soul - never been of rotation since it was released. it gets me every time. I'm from northern England and relate to it all. genius.

Jeff Buckley - Grace - a masterfull display of pure talent. but his voice still makes the hairs stand up on end, especially lover you should've come over and grace.

Great question, really tough to narrow it down to just five. But if I could only listen to five albums for the rest of my life, it would have to be these. I really couldn't live without them.

Tough to not include the Smith's, suede, the Beatles, pink Floyd, Townes Van Zandt, johnny cash and the doves in this list

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  11. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Not the best albums of all time me, but my current favorites:

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (not original, but damn it's good)
    Split Enz - Time and Tide
    Randy Newman - Good Old Boys
    David Bowie - Low (or on another day, Blackstar)
    Duke Ellington - Ellington Indigos (not his most innovative, but sweet and lush when I want to chill)

A lot of my favorite music is early jazz and was never released on LPs, like Jelly Roll Morton, early Louis Armstrong, Ellington, Bennie Moten, Earl Hines, and Don Redman). I also find that I increasingly think of great tracks, rather than great albums - a symptom I guess of the ADD digital music era.

12. readr

readr Forum Resident

Rubber Soul
    Nevermind
    Pisces Aquarius Capricorn & Jones
    Appetite For Destruction
    Cheap Trick '77

13. Davey

Davey NP: Vanishing Twin ~ Life Drummer (2024)

Cool pick, I like that one a lot too, haven't listened in quite awhile, may just have to remedy that now, thanks :)

Do you like all the artists involved in that one, Isaac Brock (Modest Mouse) and Pall Jenkins (Black Heart Procession, Three Mile Pilot) and Tim Rutili (Califone, Red Red Meat) and Brian Deck (same as Rutili, and on the console) and John Orth (Holopaw), nice record, I remember seeing that Sub Pop reissued the 2-LP set earlier this year for around $18. I either am, or have been pretty big fans of them all. The new Califone EP this year was really good too, Insect Courage.

matteos likes this.
  14. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Do a top 100 thread. I'd be interested.

15. matteos

matteos Stereotype

I've not been aware of some of the other collaborators too be honest. I will definitely check them out. was always under the impression it was just modest mouse under a pseudonym. I do love the second album too.

Isaac Brock.. I just love the guy, he really is a poet. I saw them a few months back and they were awesome. honestly didn't think many had heard of them. you clearly have excellent taste haha.

I did get the vinyl reissue. listening to it now. it's very good. quite a few extra tracks

16. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Mercury Rev? wow. I'd forgotten about them. that album was pretty big in it's time but has seem to be largely forgotten. really good album. I'm on a 90s thing right now. ordering stuff I've not listened too since college. mansun.. super furry animals all going too be showing up soon. late nighties and early 2000s was a great time for music.

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

Johnny Mathis - Heavenly
    Glen Campbell - By The Time I Get To Phoenix
    Gilbert O'Sullivan - Back To Front
    The Beach Boys - Endless Summer
    The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)

18. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

ZZ Top's Greatest Hits
    Wishbone Ash's Greatest Hits
    Toto's Greatest Hits
    Black Oak Arkansas' Greatest Hits
    The Dissection and Reconstruction of Music From the Past as Performed By the Inmates of Lalo Schifrin's Demented Ensemble as a Tribute to the Memory of the Marquis De Sade - Lalo Schifrin

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

OK Computer-Radiohead(#1 of All Time by a large margin due to not getting sick of it between 1997-2000 playing that CD 3-5 days per week, as it went with me whenever driving somewhere).

After that selection, onto my Top 5

Dog Man Star-Suede
    Disintegration-The CURE(Kyle from 'South Park' Approved as he tells Robert Smith it is the 'Best Album Ever!')
    Quadrophenia-The Who
    Security-Peter Gabriel
    Station to Station-David Bowie

Or on some days a few of these might slide into my Top 5:

Gratitude-Earth, Wind & Fire
    Songs in the Key of Life-Stevie Wonder
    The Holy Bible-Manic Street Preachers
    III(Melt)-Peter Gabriel
    Origin of Symmetry-MUSE

matteos likes this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Take a pinch of Elvis P, sprinkle a Beatles LP, also Sinatra and Love 12"/45rPm, a few drops of mothers lumpy gravy ...hey, you've created a overnite sensation. :)

21. Beastie Boys—Paul's Boutique
    The Kinks—Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Part One
    Prince and the Revolution—Purple Rain
    The Rolling Stones—Sticky Fingers
    Sleater-Kinney—The Woods

My All-Time...Right About Now

Instant Dharma likes this.
  22. matteos

matteos Stereotype

Man.. the holy Bible. manic street preachers. that should have made my top five. but who do I kick out? an exceptional album. so much love for Richey James right here. Number one lyricist of all time. No doubt about that and james Dean Bradfield, what a singer. Incredible.. . I'd say to you if you love that and I do too.. and goddammit their b sides we're good too. check out modest mouse.. check out ugly Casanova barnacles.. equally impenetrable. equally good. love this forum. love you too for your excellent taste!

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  23. TheSeldomSeenKid

Agree with 'Grace'(Buckley) being a great album.

Also agree with Doves as their 4 albums(hard to rank them, as they each are great in a different way) make them my favorite Music Artist from 2000-2009(or tied with MUSE's first 4 albums, as they went downhill with the Queen sounding music on several songs on 'The Resistance' & 'The 2nd Law', although not so bad on 'Drones')

Got into Pink Floyd around 2002-2005, and now one of my all time favorite Music Artists(especially the 1967-1972 Psychedelic Rock and Space Rock period that is best represented to me on the 4 Live Songs on 'UmmaGumma' and would have been even better by also adding Live versions for 2 more songs, 'Interstellar Overdrive' & 'The Embryo'-BBC 10 Minutes+ Version. Although for Pink Floyd albums, I prefer 'WYWH' & 'Animals').

matteos likes this.
  24. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thanks for the recommendations. I will YouTube them to check them out.

I sort of cheated sliding in 11 picks, but really needed 20. And actually, 'The Name of This Band is Talking Heads' I forgot to list, but would be a Top 5 Album for me.

I just discovered Roxy Music 2 years ago buying The Complete Recordings Box Set(CDs), and love their first 5 albums and 'Viva'(live album that I bought separately to supplement the Box Set, but 'Viva' and 'For Your Pleasure' could be serious contenders for Top 10 if not Top 20.

Then 'Scary Monsters'-Bowie, 'Ocean Rain' & 'Heaven Up Here'-The Bunnymen, Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space-Spiritualized, 'Night & Day' & 'Blaze of Glory-Joe Jackson, 'Olympian'-Gene, 'Moving Pictures'-RUSH and 4 other Peter Gabriel albums('Passion', 'SO', 'US' & 'UP') beyond 'III' & 'Security' that I listed.

And not even listing any FUNK Albums, so selecting a Top 5 is just too difficult.

matteos likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Haha! Well, I (maybe) was joking. Because I have lots of fave albums but probably less than 100.
    It depends on which music phase. There are times, like now, where I don't listen to any Beatles or Stones stuff but, for example, Kraftwerk and Pink Floyd music.
    Sort of I'm not a fan of just a couple of bands but many artists, I can't count them together right now.^^ :D

minimal minimal likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.