Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Rick and Roger, 1971

[​IMG]

Curaçao, George P, tkl7 and 3 others like this.
  2. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Mine too Rne!! :D:D:D:D:D

Rne likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Taking a break from recording stuff for La Vallee/Obscured By Clouds in France, 1972

[​IMG]

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Electronic sounds with Dave and Roger, La Vallee/Obscured by Clouds sessions, France 1972

[​IMG]

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And here's the box sets's stuff. Now let's go to the (real) discussions about the content!^^

[​IMG]

Darren Richardson and Rne like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay people, please help this awesome guy!

7. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I thought that @rontoon had been given a courtsey box set. Gee, he deserves one!

8. SM7609

SM7609 Forum Resident

Me too Ron, or at least I hope you get one. You more than deserve it! Floyd fans everywhere owe you a debt of gratitude as well.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks guys!
    Can someone have a look to see if my name (Ron Fleischer) is listed in the credits somewhere? Maybe in the Thank You section? I doubt that it's there but curious nonetheless.

10. heepsterandrey

heepsterandrey Forum Resident

Just real quick, what's the audio options and resolution on the Blu Rays?

11. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

I haven't looked specifically at every disc, but I think it's all 48k 24 bit LPCM for the 2 channel stuff.

heepsterandrey likes this.
  12. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just listened to the 2-CD set.

The 1967 BBC track is lossy sourced, so no improvement over the circulating one.

Jugband Blues remix is decent and much clearer than the murky album version. Still not the alternate Syd preferred version though, is that on the box? One of the reviews seemed to state so.

Beechwoods is amazing. Great to finally hear it in good quality.

Point Me At The Sky sounds like a better transfer than the Early Singles. Much better high end.

Embryo finally doesn't sound like crap! (like on Works)

BBC Grantchester has the same digital clicks as the previews, really? They're not on the bootleg!

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

:(

goodiesguy and Laservampire like this.
  14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It gets worse. A few posts from Y!

My only gripe so far is the bonus CD except Echoes is fit for the bin, ive never heard the BBC stuff sound so bad, especially Reaction in G and Set the Controls since the BBC played the good versions on the radio not so long ago, theyve also faded them into each other really oddly and POW R TOC H is missing the ending.

Does your copy of track 02, Scarecrow have an annoying, nearly painful whistling on the track? I could barely listen to the thing.
    A bit of a let down after the first CD (Cambridge Station, 1967) knocked my socks off.

15. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Awesome review thank you.

supernaut likes this.
  16. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

That is such a disappointment considering I pointed them towards the pre-broadcast source a whole year before the box came out. They didn't even use the best fan circulating versions!

17. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Just heard the Jugband remix. It has the same kind of effect on the vocal as Vegetable Man. Reverb or doubled or some kinda processing. Just doesn't sound right to me. I like the way the vocals sound on the previous mixes much better. Thankfully they didn't do that on the Matilda Mother remix from the same time. I love that mix, even if the purist in me was bugged by the inclusion of the album backing vocals.

crozcat and rontoon like this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Must have been pretty confident in their research/findings and assumed that the bootlegs could in no way be better.

reverberationmusic likes this.
  19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Sounds like they didn't even use the best sources we know the BBC has, if RiG and Controls don't sound good.

Laservampire likes this.
  20. OK, seriously, what excuse do they have for this? I know some may consider this a small deal, but I find it inexcusable to use lossy sources on a lossless format (whether FLAC or CD), especially for recordings that predate the invention of the MP3 format.

21. Wells2010

Wells2010 Well-Known Member

Yes 48k 24bit PCM stereo
    The Committee and La Vallee are 48k 16bit

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Rekkerds and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Thanks. I imagine the multichannel mixes would be the same, could you check them? AHM and Echoes will be 4.0 and the new Pompaii will be 5.1. ...also what is the background pics, if any, on AHM and Echoes?

23. Wells2010

DTS HD master audio 96k 24bit for all 3. Have not watch them yet. I watched the 1969 Dramatis/ation tonite.

polchik, coffeetime, Rekkerds and 4 others like this.
  24. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Nice!

25. Wells2010

The Zappa jam on IO...that's a Freak Out

andrewskyDE and Hymie the Robot like this.