Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Seriously, that's pathetic and inexcusable for such an expensive product.

2. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

Does anybody know why there would be two versions of CWTAE on the Pompeii CD?

The tracklisting is:

1. CWTAE 6.45
    2. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun 10.35
    3. One Of These Days 5.50
    4. A Saucerful Of Secrets 12.49
    5. Echoes 24.56
    6. CWTAE 6.06

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

I believe they found an alternate take from the Pompeii recordings and included it as a bonus.

andrewskyDE and pablo fanques like this.
  4. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Great shot of pre-rock star ROG.

Classicolin and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

So help me out here. From what I've gathered there a few or more than a few tracks on the box that are lower quality than what's 'out there'. If I have Let There Beeb More Light what tracks, if any, from the box are of higher quality. I thought I was on top of all this but the breadth of knowledge on this thread has blown me out of the water. Thanks!

crozcat likes this.
  6. Incredulous_Observer

A minor quibble, but in terms of the OBC 2016 remix CD and Pompeii CD situation it is unfortunate that the way it has been done leaves us with no proper case for the Pompeii disc, no artwork or tracklisting. The cardboard sleeve the OBC disc comes in has the artwork for the OBC disc and the book itself is set up for the OBC disc to go there.

As the cardboard sleeve was produced to rectify the situation, it would have been better, in my opinion, for the cardboard sleeve to have the artwork and tracklisting for Pompeii so that you just had to swap the discs over and then had a dedicated case for both. As I say, I know it's minor and the Pompeii disc can go anywhere but there was an opportunity to make it properly feel part of the set with a dedicated sleeve.

The official 'now comes with a bonus disc' announcement, while yes it is a bonus that it's there, was disingenuous to say the least due to it being such an obvious mistake.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
    Max Florian and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  7. steve gilmour

steve gilmour Forum Resident

so...given the box and books are poor quality and the Bonus set exclusive to this box contains poor quality mixes - as someone who has not yet bought the box, I assume it's best to wait and buy the individual sets next year and ignore the bonus set??? Anyone any ideas what the blue+cd sets will sell for next year per set??? thanks!

Seems a complete let down next to the Crom and Hillage box sets of late - and shocking compared to the quality of the Dead's 30 trips box (still the greatest box ever!!!!)

fjtull, Billy_Sunday and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. Incredulous_Observer

It's actually a difficult one to predict. The books each have different disc configurations so I would be surprised if they are all going to be the same price.

I have my own personal opinion on what I would be prepared to pay based on build quality and content having seen them in the big box and if they are sold individually in the exact same packaging. You could also use similar style packages by other bands as a price benchmark, but it's a release campaign that is commanding a premium price so anybody's guess right now.

9. RobCooper

RobCooper Cobwebs & Strange

Have the long wait of spending the day at work and hoping Amazon come through and deliver for when I get home. In the meantime the 2CD set on Apple Music is keeping me going. loving the OBC remixes, especially Stay. They sound like they could have been recorded yesterday.

10. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

I wondered how Stay might sound. There's some beautiful emotional David Gilmour guitar on that song I hope is benefited by this mix . I hope someone reviews the entire remix of OBC on here.

Rooster_Ties and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Are they? I can't see any comments about this. Anyone with a set like to expand?

12. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

13. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

What really annoys me is the fact they had years, absolutely years, to archive the best sources one by one without any pressure, avoiding having to rush till the 23th hour to deliver the finished work. Sadly that's exactly what happened instead.
    It seems it's now easier for artists who decide to put together a box-set to go on youtube and download the bootlegged versions of the songs they need which come first on the query list, without even asking themselves if a better source could exist somewhere else.
    Phil Collins did the same with his recent 'remasters', filling the second disc of each reissue with awful sounding stuff downloaded from youtube.
    Works like these should be commissioned to knowledgeable fans who usually know where to source the best quality stuff in lossless format...

14. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

There is nothing poor about the quality of the box(es), the disc books just need careful handling as the disc trays are quite heavy thick plastic and the inner booklet binding is a little thin. What we should have had is a separate booklet in the box with all the pictures and disc details as the card placeholder for the paper inserts is a little awkward to use..

15. PIGGIES

PIGGIES Forum Resident

Lovely pictures in this thread, they look so close to each other, it makes me sad to think how hostile it later became.

16. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

I don't know if I shall write here or in the old thread, anyway, I picked up my box today, undamaged and complete with both the OBC and the POMPEII CDs.
    As Ron said 'Careful with these books Eugene'.
    I have missed a few posts since his, so I don't know if it has already been said, but the first page of the booklet belongs to the left side of the case, while the rest of the booklet belongs to the right side, first and second pages are glued together near the spine so DON'T OPEN YOUR CASES TOO WIDELY.
    The paper that wraps the exclusive memorabilia is very thin and fragile and splits easily, so HANDLE WITH CARE. The 'sticker locker' is very easy to remove, so use it without fear.
    All in all, a wonderful box set but very very fragile.
    You shall always need time and patience to explore it.
    Since I don't have that much at the moment, I think I will 'ausculte' this set later.
    Enjoy your box

I will read you as much as I can

P.S. : I only opened 1972. I still had the time to notice that POMPEII CD is mentionned with details, in the booklet that comes with the memorabilia.

Have fun you all !

17. patsdelight

patsdelight Forum Resident

They seem reasonably sturdy to me.

Jim B. likes this.
  18. Incredulous_Observer

I agree with your handling assessment/warning, these do need to be treated with care. However, in the booklet it only lists the Pompeii tracks as part of the DVD/Bluray tracklisting and there is no mention of the Pompeii CD, which is correct as it shouldn't be part of that book and was only stored there in error.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  19. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

Just go to the other side of the van to have the "/". :p

Actually the box replicates the stripes correctly: "/" seen from the left side of the van, and "\" seen from the right side of the van.

[​IMG]

20. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Sorry, hard to keep up with the gigantic threads. Is there any material on the 2 disc compilation that isn't included on the big box? They do things like that sometimes, for the completionists.

Shame that part of it is lossy sourced. Is it possible that this was done in error and not deliberately? Is it true of the 24/96 version currently on HDtracks? They're going to have a lot of unhappy customers on their hands. MP3 is NOT high resolution.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The lossy material was included as part of the bonus disc (with the other lesser quality audio) and was the best that they had at the time.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

That's completely understandable, and, honestly, "Flaming", from the 2-cd comp is not that bad. It would be really nice, though, to offer some free download to box set buyers now that a better source was found. I don't see it happening, though.

23. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

May anyone post OBC sound clips? :wave:

From what I've heard, I DO NOT like these new mixes. Sterile, lifeless, artificial, with too much boost in high frequencies. Fatiguing :shake:

24. willy

willy hooga hagga hooga

So was the little van included?

25. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Ok
    I may have read too fast.
    I forgot about the DVD.
    Thanks for amending