Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

If you're on a budget, you don't have to get a Blu-Ray burner. You could get a Blu-Ray player (that can still burn DVDs). It's just a suggestion. :)

You could do a search in the Hardware section.

tonewheeltom likes this.
  2. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

This is such an incredibly surreal ending to what was a bizarre affair to begin with. I'm laughing my **** off!

You wouldn't happen to have any artwork lying around, would you? ;)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. squonkduke

squonkduke Forum Resident

Can someone please post again the link to the pdf with all the detailed content of the box?
    Many thanks in advance

4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Because he's a member who's been in contact with people involved with the set and he sounded pretty confident with his answer. You might be waiting for a while if you want official confirmation.

Stormrider77, tkl7, quicksrt and 3 others like this.
  5. JoeChrisMorris

JoeChrisMorris New Member

What does that mean - burns dvds? I have a standalone replicator (tray 1:1) that will copy dvdrs (can't copy from dual layer discs, only to if needed)

the price is much less than I expected for a blu ray

6. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think that if you grabbed the folder of Meddle tunes, and put them on a USB thumb drive, insert that into player might give you an easy option.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm in no hurry. :laugh:

rnranimal and Simon A like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I tried out some rough album artwork ideas for a full version of the Wembley concert.
    A pic related to an outtake photo of Dark Side's 30th Anniversary Edition for example, but it didn't work well previously. :sigh:

10. Oh Man! Mine is/was scheduled to ship from Amazon UK today. I will be pissed if this this 5.1 mix isn't in there...

11. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

It should be. It's been part of the Reverberation Blu-Ray disc all along, but I don't think anybody noticed that it was still on the disc or if they just kept it a secret. I don't see why they would replace all of the Reverberation blu-ray discs now after it's already been released.

makedatmusic likes this.
  12. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Do we know if the empire pool 74 stuff that's out officially now is all from the same night? Not that it fully matters I guess since the set list was the same

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. mozart jones

mozart jones Member

Just listened to the 1st disc. I suppose I'll say what I think of a few things.

My favorite track from the '65 pre-Piper era is probably Butterfly. I think that track could of have been actually included on Piper possibly, if they gave a few details a little polish. The track has like a really gritty sort of greaser-rock kind of sound to it with like a psychedelica edge. Kind of reminds me of like a track off the musical 'West Side Story' a little bit, like one of the cool more upbeat ones. Once the B part/chorus part kicks in, you know that this is Pink Floyd and they start to hit that kind of musical breakthrough home-run.

'Walk with me Sydney' is a catchy tune, I like the beat and enthusiasm. 'Double-o Bo' features like a really sharp rhythm guitar solo from Syd (distinct from that of Bob Close) which I dare anyone to try playing and say that Syd was an amateur. 'Lucy Leave' is an excellent too, good opener. I can hear the Rolling Stones and Beatles influence all over these early tracks.

Arnold Layne, Emily, great to have follow all that.. The next few tracks Apples and Paintbox I prefer in stereo, however they don't sound too bad here, I'll roll with it and don't mind having mono versions.

This mix/version of Matilda Mother sounds pretty great to me, I love the extended jamming at the end too. This about when the coffee kicked in too. Very clear instruments and vocals throughout the stereo field, someone knew what they were doing when they mixed it.

Beechwoods does sound phenomenal. As someone pointed out somewhere else, Rick seems like might have had a hand with the composition though. I think the main chordal motif might have the same chords as the chorus for the tune 'Stay' off of Obscured by Clouds. Kind of those sort of jazzy Rick chords that the band follows. Syd shows some mega ability on the rhythm guitar here as well, but it may be underestimated if you don't look for it. He kind of started to remind me of like Robby Krieger or Jerry Garcia a little bit with some of his flavorings here, especially during the middle break where he gets kind of a feature.

The ending tracks, Jugband, Scream and Vegetable.. the clarity on these tracks kind give the thing a whole new sort of wider perspective. To me, the clarity makes it pretty poignant in a way. But the tracks are still rivetingly good. Vegetable man is like the birth of grunge. Scream thy last Scream predates something Thom Yorke might write by like 40 years. Waters I think eventually really fed off the sound of these last Syd tracks, because they were so dark.. and he wanted to write like that.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

As I heard two nights (in mid-November 1974) were recorded on multitrack tapes for a BBC airplay later. So the available audio is probably a mixture, but the remastering staff denied this.^^

[Edit:] Just read that David Gilmour said on an interview they recorded the gigs on 16th and 17th November.
    Mainly the 16th Nov is the concert we hear on the Immersion releases but they had to mix some sections from the other night into it because there were some technical issues during the performances.
    So, yes the available concert is mixed from two nights indeed.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm guessing the closest thing to official word is going to be the individual set. I just can't imagine it being planned. They surely didn't pay to have the mix done only to pull it at the last minute and make it a blu-ray easter egg instead of a selling point. That would be a very strange move.

Myke likes this.
  16. I hope you are right. I guess I'm just nervous because my box was scheduled to ship today and I'm not sure what the delay is!

makedatmusic likes this.
  17. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So will I be able to access the 5.1 mix of Meddle on my Oppo Blu-ray player or do I need to go through some special process to burn it?

This is pretty big. To be honest, I was starting to waver on pulling the trigger for this, since AmazonUK seems to be sitting on my order. I hope they're not pulling the rogue 5.1 mix!

bobcat likes this.
  18. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

You'll need to extract it and then either play the files from a USB key or DVD/Blu-Ray disc burned from the files.

Ryan Bedlack and polchik like this.
  19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Strange how they announced them both back in July initially, then yanked that.

pablo fanques likes this.
  20. Philrock90

Philrock90 Forum Resident

Ahhh well I'll make a empire pool concert made of the official stuff be good to hear it altogether

JeffMo and andrewskyDE like this.
  21. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Mine was too. I've posted this a few pages back but I believe it's because there have been a number of complaints from people who got their boxes damaged and/or missing the bonus disc that was supposed to come with it. Therefore, they might be taking a bit of a breather to fix these issues and make sure the rest of the sets are sent out without a problem. Having to send back (or even get to keep) a damaged $400 or $500 box and get a free replacement would be a huge loss for Amazon, especially since the initial run is only 28,000 boxes (I think.)

22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I made three different compilings/mixes of the original (Immersion) releases (plus a flac of 'Echoes') already, but will make a fourth one after I'll get the box set ;)

23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Maybe I should post this on the shipping thread but Amazon UK sent out the original cardboard box (which then contains the black box well packed in and protected with the OBC remix cd on top) unopened inside there own packaging. So unless dealers open this box you should get your Floyd box straight from the horses mouth. Retail stores will presumably take the black box out to put on display as a cardboard box is not that eye catching.
    Regarding the contents am I right to assume the tracks on cd one remixed in 2010 were possibly intended for a Syd Barrett style release? I think the Matilda is on a recent best of- correct?

24. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just listened to the OBC remix and thought it was just fantastic. However, Childhood's End was a little fatiguing to these ears.

Rooster_Ties and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually the Continu/ation sub-box should be shared, because this is exclusive to the box set. All other sub-boxes are available individually early next year.