Do You Get Scoffed At For Still Buying CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MYQ1, Jun 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I was surprised recently when a friend who is 10 years younger than me (so mid 20's) asked me to give her any CDs I no longer need, so she can play music in her new 'craft' room. I remember her telling me she's never bought a CD. I'm taking great delight in sneaking in 'Life With The Lion's by John & Yoko in the pile I'll give her....:laugh:

ukrules likes this.
  2. Billo

Billo Forum Resident

what do I do with my 78's ?

this plastic will never last.....

3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

I really just buy vinyl now and stream everything else on spotify. My CD mountain sits untouched. shame I guess

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Oh that is just evil.... I like it. :) I wonder how her crafts will turn out listening to that?!

jl151080 likes this.
  5. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Trying to turn the thread to vinyl? :hide:

L.P. likes this.
  6. Carl Swanson

I don't have a Kindle.

I do have bookshelves.

7. Carl Swanson

How to they reconcile the physical act of breeding with their devotion to vaporware?

Imagine70 likes this.
  8. Carl Swanson

You have my respect and admiration for NOT saying, "If you shut up long enough to let me."

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I have bookshelves, but I have to confess - I'm much more likely to read a book on my phone or pad. Right now, I'm reading the ABBA biography Bright Lights, Dark Shadows and I'm constantly wishing I had it in an electronic form so I could have it everywhere without lugging two pounds of paper. Part of it has to do with how I read these days; most of the time when I'm home, I'm editing video. Most of my reading time is when I'm on a bus or train. I don't drive, so I have plenty of chances to read, and I have a hundred books on my electronic library at any time.

jonathan, Dennis0675, Zeki and 3 others like this.
  10. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I need to find some way I can see her reaction! :laugh:

11. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I like the idea of not having to lug around or store books, but I don't like the idea of reading a book on a screen.

12. Chris DeVoe

It helps that I'm very nearsighted, so it makes it easier for me to read from a screen.

jl151080 likes this.
  13. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

That's a bit of a conundrum you've got yourself in.

14. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I have an ebook reader from that famous brazilian river company and I have to say that reading from that e-ink screen is the next best thing to paper. No reflections in broad daylight, and you can read at night without someone from the other side of the bed telling you to turn off the light. It's also ergonomically easier to read in many positions without having to hold the book open with both hands. I just have to keep myself from buying books that I really liked twice. Somehow my bookshelves demand a physical copy.

Zeki likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

How many have you NOT listened to yet ?

I assume your friend doesn't listen to music very attentively like most on this forum do:sigh:

16. Carl Swanson

I've tried reading on the laptop; it's a non-starter for me. Can't imagine reading my phone.

I like having a book in my hands. Only drawback is, I read a lot in bed, and sometimes I doze off and drop it . . . on or near my face. Most of the stuff I read runs around 500 Pp.; so far, no serious injuries.

17. Chris DeVoe

Eh, I hang out on this place on the web where I read thousands upon thousands of words every day. Haven't had any problems yet.

MsMaclen likes this.
  18. Carl Swanson

Generally, a line or two at a time. I avoid the "thousands upon thousands of words" posts. Most of 'em are a little "fringie" anyway.

19. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Probably, but I'm not buying them to be a hipster or cool kid.

A visiting relative was shocked to see some cassette tapes laying around near my stereo this week!

20. Remington Steele

Remington Steele Forum Resident

Actually in Vegas I see plenty of young and old buying a combination of cd and LP titles. Of course I think Vegas has a slightly different group of residents than Los Angeles, Sacramento or even Salt Lake.

21. Chris DeVoe

Individual posts, sure. But cumulatively, I probably read a novel's worth of text on my computer screen every day (come close to generating at least a short story's worth.) Setting aside prose quality, it's hard to make a case that one type of reading is substantially different from the other.

22. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Yeah, it I should have stressed the reissues. However even most of the new releases don't have that mellowly vinyl sound of the past, if anything they sound closer to a digital copy when mastered from a digital recording. Whether that is good or bad is an individual preference.

23. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Well given that new CDs still represent around 30% of all music sales it is commercially profitable to produce new CD box sets etc.

However, all physical media are in decline including CDs and, from the past 12 months, LPs. Streaming now accounts for nearly 50% of the music revenue.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if physical media are niche products within the next 20 years and historical curiosities by the end of this millennium.

24. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

By the end of this millennium I'd expect the human race to have long since self destructed.

Except for Keith Richards of course.

Imagine70, Chooke and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.