Dire Straits MFSL - 45rpm + SACD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joey_Corleone, Nov 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident Thread Starter

Flipping through the music direct catalog that arrived today and I see they are advertising Dire Straits, Communique, Making Movies and Love Over Gold on both 45 RPM vinyl and SACD from MFSL!

Discuss!

2. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

45 RPM sold to me!

3. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

MoFi will be getting MoOf my $$.

4. cordobaman

cordobaman Rich Corinthian Leather

And just to confuse the issue, MoFi is also releasing Supertramp BIA in addition to the previously released Dire Straits BIA.

5. Joey_Corleone

I have really been struggling with the vinyl vs SACD on these great releases that offer both

6. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

A great SACD for 'Love over Gold' would be an instant purchase for me

any release date?

:wave:

7. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

What has been your preference? — just curious as I am vinyl only at the moment but thinking about adding SACD capability in the near future to save some $. Have read repeatedly that the 45RPM reissues are untouchable in comparison to the equivalent SACD.

8. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Interesting.

Maybe they also will do Crime of the Century using exact the same master tapes as they did with the Gold CD? Then I will be happy!

Steelymark, Starwanderer and kevywevy like this.
  9. Joey_Corleone

I went with both for all the Dylan titles I got, but it gets real expensive. It is a tough call...they are both very good. I think it may come down to what part of your system is best. For me, my Rega RP10 probably trumps my modest Yamaha SACD player but then again I just got a pretty amazing DAC that does DSD so now all bets are off.

I ended up with the SACD for the AP Stevie Ray Vaughan and they are great.

As I said, torn

Greg Gee and FashionBoy like this.
  10. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

I have a hunch that 2017 is gonna be a helluva year for 2x45 rpm LP releases. Let's see some Doobie Brosers 45s along with Super Straits!

11. Joey_Corleone

I am wondering how much better these could get on vinyl too. The WB reissues are some of the best sounding records I own. That might swing me to the SACDs on these

dobyblue likes this.
  12. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

At least w Love Over Gold, the SACD is not listed on the MD site yet.

13. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

Love Over Gold seems strange for the 45 format, being that it has a 15 minute song that makes up a chunk of the album.

Defrance likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Does Music Direct have their latest catalog online? It might be sitting in my mailbox but I'm in work. The Dire Straits SACDs will be instant purchases :)!

15. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Count me in on Making Movies - my 2013 SHM-SACD sounds horrific.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This could take years in TBA hell.

17. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Search »

Vinyl up for order on these titles but Brothers in Arms is the only SACD listing.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That listing is for the 180g LPs available now not the 45 rpm LPs upcoming releases. I just spoke with Music Direct and Dire Straits' 1st four albums will be coming out on SACD from MOFI. No firm date for the release of the SACDs at this time. Didn't ask about the 45 rpm LPs though.

art and Joey_Corleone like this.
  19. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

No 'On Every Street'? :confused:

Carlox, signothetimes53 and Bill Mac like this.
  20. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

That would be great if MOFI did an On Every Street SACD

Jam757, Carlox, soundboy and 5 others like this.
  21. sjaca

sjaca Forum Resident

Though I cannot comment specifically on these Dire Straits reissues because I have not compared them, in every case that I have acquired both the MFSL 45 & SACD for a particular title,, the lp has won out by a good margin on my system, the most recent example being MFSL's I Robot.

Johnny Vinyl and Myke like this.
  22. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Wish I was into vinyl, although my wallet doesn't. But SACDs will have to do for now :).

23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I love how the reissue manufacturers don't even stop to breathe anymore. Release, after release, after release. Is this the result of panic over what they perceive as the impending death of physical media ?
    In my 6 years on this forum, it seems like...feels like the reissues are coming at a much faster clip than they used to.
    I LOVE Dire Straits, and am tempted by a better quality SQ than the Vertigo CDs I've had here, since joining the forum, but I also became more budget-minded since retiring. I'm proud of the fact that I'm no longer sitting on this forum, from my employer's cubicle, but rather from home, on my own time.
    Just thinking aloud.

Back on topic, I've found I get much more pleasure from the 45rpm vinyl choice, but that's attributed to my 1978 Jensen LS3s which give more attention to the low end, than the digital HT setup does.

JNTEX likes this.
  24. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

45 rpm if the debut would be for me !

Joti Cover and soundfanz like this.
  25. SteveS1

SteveS1 Forum Resident

With clean original vinyl copies in my locker, these are going to have to be good. Certainly better than the BG reissues and I'm a BG fan normally. :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.