What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I had heard this once before but completely forgot it. Thanks for posting. Go Ronno!

Khaki F likes this.
  2. Drotz1

Drotz1 Forum Resident

3. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Mick Avory, before he was the drummer in The Kinks, was the original drummer for The Rolling Stones before Charlie Watts.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  4. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

"My Way" was an Italian song whose English lyrics were written by Paul Anka. Before Anka, the publishing company assigned it to a young songwriter named David Bowie. They rejected Bowie's lyrics, but Bowie had the last laugh. He later based "Life On Mars" on that song.

andrewskyDE and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Elvira the American television horror movie host was on the cover of Tom Waits album "Small Change". Casandra Peterson also dated Elvis Presley!

phillyal1, Fullbug and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident

He actually only rehearsed with them twice.

uzn007 likes this.
  7. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

According to The Rolling Stones Complete Recording Sessions, he played with them at their first few gigs (Ealing Jazz Club and The Marquee).

Jimmy B. and bagofsoup like this.
  8. Beatlebug

Beatlebug Another box set won't do any harm

Adam Ant's mother used to be Paul McCartney's house keeper

Colinjpush, Binni and bagofsoup like this.
  9. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

Queen and David Bowie do not agree on who came up with the iconic bassline in Under Pressure.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  10. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

Peter (and Jane) Asher's mother was young George Martin's oboe teacher around 1950. That's IF I remember correctly.

11. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

The Byrd choose Michael Clark because they saw him playing bongos and thought he looked cool. He also was not a drummer per se

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

No, Barnes & Barnes was Billy Mumy and Robert Haimer. The latter was America's lead guitarist for many years (hence their appearing on B&B's cover of "I Need You").

Rufus McDufus and elaterium like this.
  13. 8tracks

8tracks Forum Addict

GRAHAM NASH: Yes. We had a manager called Michael Cohen, and he owned a tailor shop in Stockport in the north of England that I actually worked at at one point. And he came to us one day and he said, you know, this neighborhood, this woman keeps driving me crazy. She says she has this son who writes songs. Would you do me a favor? Go and, you know, pat him on the head and encourage him and get her off my back, basically.

So we go down to this house, and there's a 14-, 15-year-old kid there, and he's got a guitar, and we were The Hollies. We'd had a couple of hits, and we were, you know, full of ourselves. And we said, OK, kid, what have you got? He picks up his guitar, and he goes: (singing) Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say...

We knew immediately that we could make a great record of that. So we said, OK, wow, yeah, great, we'll take that song. And we get up to leave. And then one of us said: Have you got anything else? He said, yeah, I have this song, and it goes like this: (singing) Look through any window, yeah. So that was two that we wanted.

And we said, OK, one last time, anything else? He said, I wrote this song this morning for my friend Peter Noone who's singing with this new band Herman's Hermits, and it goes: (singing) No milk today, my love has gone away. This young kid had written three fantastic pop songs. That was a very interesting moment in our lives.

I love the above story, although I'm not sure how accurate it is. Given the following timeline:
    Sep 1964: Herman's Hermits (w/ Peter Noone) score first #1 UK hit
    Mar 1965: Yardbirds release "For Your Love", written by Graham Gouldman
    May 1965: Graham Gouldman turns 19 years old
    Jun 1965: Hollies record "Look Through Any Window"
    May 1966: Hollies record "Bus Stop"
    Aug 1966: Herman's Hermits record "No Milk Today"

14. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

There is a story that in 1984 while Aerosmith were recording the 'Done With Mirrors' LP, a radio in the studio was playing 'You See My Crying' from the bands 1975 'Toys in the Attic' LP. Steven Tyler was so out of it that he didn't even recognize his own song and suggested that the band do a cover version of it. Joe Perry spoke up and said 'That's us, F$#%head")

15. highway chile

highway chile I know it goes a little deeper than that.

Bryan Adams and Ryan Adams, often confused with one another to their mutual chagrin, were both born on November 5.

16. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

"Funkytown" by Lipps Inc. held a unique record for reaching the number one spot in 28 countries, more than any other single release until Madonna's "Hung Up" reached number one in 41 countries in 2005.

pablo fanques and uzn007 like this.
  17. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Didn't somebody else have a hit with that song? I swear I remember another group doing that song and having a decent sized hit with it. It seemed it was before Lipps Inc.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

It was after...Pseudo Echo did a somewhat alt-pop-rock thing with the track in 1986

PyroMessiah and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  19. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Let's not forget the DEFINITIVE version.

Alvin and Chipmunks sing "Funkytown" »

Chazzbo13 likes this.
  20. Buggyhair

Buggyhair Forum Resident

Okay, that's must be it. Wikipedia says it went to #6 in the U.S. that year.

21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Indeed! If you watch the documentary DVD "Produced by George Martin," there is a scene where George and Mrs. Asher are talking together, apparently at George's kitchen table. And it's a modern interview, not archival footage. One of the more charming scenes in the film.

Binni, Jarleboy and bagofsoup like this.
  22. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Neil Young wrote the 3 famous songs from Everybody Knows this is Nowhere while bedridden with a 102 (103?) fever.

The Van Halen tour rider about the m&ms is pretty funny (and completely absurd)

Van Morrison and Bob Dylan meet in a pub. Sit and stare at each other for a long time. Bob finally gets up and leaves, Van says "it's always good to see Bob". Lol not sure if true and forget where I heard this one.

23. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Why is it funny? Seems to be a pretty brilliant safety precaution.

24. jimtek

jimtek Forum Resident

Manfred Mann did a cover of the Bob Dylan song later they were offered "Quinn the Eskimo". Albert Goldman Dylan's manager played them the song from the basement tapes in England. One of Manfred Manns asked Goldman, why the singer had such a bad voice and Goldman replied "That's Bob Dylan"!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  25. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Kidz Bop Kids did, I think? Their version was a Happy Meal giveaway back in like 2003 I think.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.