What are David Bowie's 3 signature songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MadamAdam, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Do you like the new Lazarus extra tracks ?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  2. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Wow I never would've picked Heroes as a signature song. Not knocking it but once you get past space oddity and changes ( two givens) there are at least seven, including a couple not on here, that I would consider as true Bowie signature songs. Heroes always sounded too overtly commercial pop anthemish to me. I'll have to revisit.

3. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

I chose the songs that I've heard on the radio most (not personal favorites).

Those are:

1. Space Oddity
    2. Changes
    3. Under Pressure

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Stuns me that "Sount + Vision" - a song iconic enough for Bowie to name a tour after it - has the same # of votes as the two "Blackstar" songs! :eek:

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  5. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Space Oddity
    Starman
    Ashes To Ashes

6. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where you lead, others follow

7. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It's obviously Space Oddity, Heroes and Let's Dance. No argument.
    I'm not saying they're all good songs though.

8. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

The man in the street wouldn't know what you were talking about (unless he was wearing a dress).

MadamAdam likes this.
  9. I voted for
    ~"Space Oddity"
    ~"Changes"
    ~"Heroes"

Honorable Mention- "Life On Mars", "Ziggy Stardust", "Starman", "Rebel Rebel"

deany76 likes this.
  10. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

Depends on what we mean by "signature song?" Is an artist's signature song simply the song most known by the public? In many cases that will be the song with the highest/longest chart position. Or is it a song that has meaning about the artist or something personally important to the artist (or perhaps the artist's perspective on life)?

oldturkey likes this.
  11. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Space Oddity
    Life on Mars
    Heroes

mr.datsun likes this.
  12. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

as OP says. I don't really like Space Oddity or Let's Dance, but that's what Mr & Mrs Average associates Bowie with imo. Everybody loves them. I was watching the tennis yesterday and they kept playing Heroes over the PA. Establishment standards is what this is about I think.
    My favourite songs would be something like Teenage Wildlife, Boys Keep Swinging, Be My Wife, Station To Station and It's No Game but I don't think the general public would know any of them.

snowman872 likes this.
  13. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

If you grew up in the UK and ever listened to Junior Choice you'd know one of the three is The Laughing Gnome, sorry but the last six shouldn't be anywhere near that list.

oldturkey likes this.
  14. oldturkey

oldturkey Forum Resident

It's a great record - I always used to play the 7 inch on 33rpm.

The Killer likes this.
  15. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Space Oddity
    Heroes
    Let's Dance

3 different time periods in Bowie's discography.

16. deany76

deany76 Forum Resident

as @snowman872 said re: meaning of signature song.

Sorry to hijack OP, if I am? - I'll create a new thread if you feel its off topic but...

Which would David say were his three favorite tracks?

snowman872 likes this.
  17. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I voted Changes, Starman and Sound & Vision. The first 2 as best representing the classic period Bowie and the third just to be perverse and because I liked Low as his best album since 'Sane'

I would have voted for John I'm Only Dancing (v 1.0) if I could have. That song was unique and a great off-kilter follow up to Starman and with its minor lyrical controversy. :)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
    deany76 likes this.
  18. snowman872

snowman872 Forum Resident

I don't have the foggiest idea. He was not a predictable person and I can't recall him ever saying so in an interview. Even if he did at one time, I imagine the list might change with age and reflection. His list might even be three relatively obscure tracks that mean a lot to him but rarely mentioned by others.

19. MadamAdam

Whaaaaaaat?

oldturkey likes this.
  20. MadamAdam

Oh really? Calling the British Broadcasting Corporation:

Monday 9 January 2017

10.00-11.00pm

BBC RADIO 2

Exploring Life On Mars?

In this documentary, Martin Kemp - with the help of music expert and former EMI A&R Tris Penna - explore the 1971 David Bowie song, widely regarded as a masterpiece.

With access to exclusive unreleased music archive, the documentary examines how Life on Mars? came into being and the significance of the lyrics. Kemp and Penna explore whether it could be seen as the musician’s legacy song – the one for which he will be most remembered.

The programme will feature never before broadcast archive recordings and Bowie’s original piano and voice demo. It hears from those who worked and played closely with Bowie to create this memorable recording, including original producer Ken Scott, studio engineer Ray Staff, keyboard player Rick Wakeman, Mick Rock (who shot the video), singer Dana Gillespie, singer Marc Almond, friend Wendy Kirby, singer/actress Sophia Anne Caruso from the Lazarus Musical, biographers Kevin Cann and Nick Pegg, music publishers Bob Grace and Geoff Heath, and Mike Garson who accompanied Bowie on piano in his live performances, notably at his headlining 2000 Glastonbury appearance.

Martin Kemp says: “In celebration of the genius that is David Bowie, I'm excited and honoured to present this programme for Radio 2 to mark what would have been his 70th birthday. For me, Bowie was a great inspiration and influence on my own music career.”

Presenter: Martin Kemp
    Producer: Tris Penna for Sue Clark Productions

21. MadamAdam

Well, Bowie didn't have chart-topping singles until 1975, but Life On Mars? came close...

Hit No.3 as Ziggy retired in the summer of 73, and was the UK's 26th best-selling single of the year, which is no mean feat when you consider DB was the (combined singles and albums) best-selling artist of the year in Britain. That year it outsold Jean Genie, Sorrow and (ahem) The Laughing Gnome, and like the latter was released by the record company due to public demand (it says here).

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

I guess that the signatures songs would be:
    Life On Mars?
    Space Oddity
    Heroes

Honorable mentions:
    Changes
    Ziggy Stardust
    Starman
    Let's Dance
    Ashes To Ashes

23. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I am surprised that it's Martin Kemp and not his brother Gary presenting this programme as Gary is a huge Bowie fan. I know that he's making a documentary on Mick Ronson so maybe that's why.

MadamAdam and oldturkey like this.
  24. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

Life On Mars?
    Space Oddity
    ashes to ashes

add the laughing gnome as well

25. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Mars :
    It was a huge presence on TV and radio. And I think it had an appeal far beyond any idea of fandom. It must be one of his most enduring songs. I agree with your other 2 choices. But Fame was not that big then or since and does not have the broad and enduring appeal of Mars? I think I say this outside of my own preferences.

Space O
    Heroes (despite hating it)
    Mars?

I think Mars is bigger than Changes and I'm surprised to see it trailing that song.

Maybe the Fame idea is a USA appeal - led preference?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    oldturkey likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.