Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Brilliant, thanks! :cheers: Enjoyed this review.
    Posted as expected. I've been waiting for this. :p

...though time gets you worrying, my friend, it's o.k. :laugh:

FVDnz, DonnyMe, Runicen and 2 others like this.
  2. downer

downer Senior Member

Someone had to say it, lol

Btw Tootull - do you think there's any chance of a Benefit repack? :)

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

No word on a vinyl release? Why the silence?

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

so is there an explanation about the genesis of the first stereo mix for Living in the Past single? I've always thought it was hastily thrown together for the US market after Ian signed the contracts with reprise.

Keith V likes this.
  5. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I'm wondering about a digital release myself. Perhaps they'll come out around the same time.

6. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Great review! And I definitely agree with the above comment - in terms of content and packaging, the Tull reissues are the gold standard for how to approach a back catalog of classic albums.

7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

From SW remixes Facebook page: "As with all these Tull remix editions, it's a one off run of the deluxe version, and several of the previous ones are now sold out, so if you plan to add it to your collection don't hang around too long! A vinyl edition of the remix is also due."

makedatmusic and teag like this.
  8. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

DVD-A Extractor is great. I've used it a lot and ripped the Stand Up DVD using it. My only complaint is that it doesn't always see everything that's on the DVD. I think the problem occurs when there's a mix of certain different formats on the DVD (DVD-A and V perhaps). In those cases I use MakeMKV which always sees everything on the disc end there's an option to rip the audio to flac. The only downside is that it can only rip an album as one large file and you have to extract the flac file from the mkv file afterwards. I then use Foobar and a cue sheet to divide the large flac file into album track files.

Tone_Boss, Coricama and Runicen like this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

There's an option in DVDAE to open specific files within a DVD or Blu-Ray which remedies this issue. Trick is to figure out which specific file holds the audio you're after. I had the issue with some of the King Crimson reissues and was eventually able to track them down manually.

Coricama likes this.
  10. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Yeah, the first one giving me this problem was Larks' Tounges I think. The original mix on the DVD didn't show up in DVDAE. It's easy to locate the right audio with MakeMKV since it presents each album or chunk of bonus material as one chapter with info about duration and format (stereo/surround, bit depth and sample rate). After ripping it's easy to conclude what is what. And a cue file that can be used as a starting point for cutting up the file can be made from the CD-version that usually is included in these kinds of sets. Actually quite a fun process.:)

MakeMKV works great for ripping Blu-ray audio too. Ripped one of the Yes reissues in 24/192 the other week.

But back to Stand up!

Coricama likes this.
  11. SJB

The package is thinner because it only has one CD/DVD tray (to accommodate the fold-out art), but the book has more pages (112 vs. 80).

slipkid, bluerondo and Jimijam like this.
  12. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

The new stereo mix (especially in 24bit/96kHz) is fantastic. Another excellent job by Mr. Wilson. I'm so grateful that he decided to doing these remixes. It makes world so much better place :)

About surround mix: listened just twice, it sounds good, but I'm not convinced yet that Stand Up benefits from 5.1 presentation.

13. tootull

I'll say no and hope that I'm wrong for those that want this in book form. (nothing mentioned yet)

14. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

For me this is really low priority. I want more and more and more new releases.

I imagine Under Wraps with completely overhauled remix and drums by Gavin Harrison :)

FVDnz and Dok like this.
  15. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

Do you think a new home will be found for the Carnegie show then? Many here seem to think it properly belongs with the Benefit material.

yesstiles and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...I'm really enjoying this set. Recently hooked my PlayStation up to my stereo system and was enjoying the flat transfer of the original mix, but to my ears I like the remix a little more. Nice to have multiple options of one of your favorite albums though, isn't it?
    Btw: why did we only get two clips from this live show?

17. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Just listened to the 5.1 mix....it brought me to tears...literally tears...the tears of a thousand mothers. Wow!, just WOW! This is definitely one of Steve Wilson's finest remixes. This release has given me a new insight and appreciation to just how amazing Jethro Tull was in its infancy and what was to come. Will be one of my reference discs for sure. Makes me yen even more for Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses. Bravo Steven, Bravo Jethro Tull!

18. tootull

I'd like to see the Carnegie Hall show get its own separate DVD/Blu-ray release. I don't own it.

Benefit 50th? ;)

FVDnz, dougb222 and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  19. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Slightly off-topic: I've tried to decode dts stream from .VOB files to .flac with eac3to software.
    In result I got flac file in 24bit/96kHz (which is what i wanted), but this flac file is bigger in size than source .VOB.
    Is this intended behavior?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2016
  20. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Just curious, anyone know how many copies of deluxe versions are produced during the "one-off run" ? ?

Please & Thank You ~! :righton:

21. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Why do need a cue sheet? MakeMKV rips the file with the chapter structure intact and Foobar recognises those. You can directly convert them to seperate FLAC files, you only have to number the tracks/chapters first, so Foobar doesn't overwrite them (since they all have the same name). Or you can properly tag the tracks in the MKV file already, before converting. I've done it many times that way.

I'm also not sure if MakeMKV recognises the DVD-A part of of a disc, but I might be wrong here. I always use Foobar to rip DVD-As.

22. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes! Benefit in book form with the Carnegie Hall show added. :)

FVDnz, Runicen, Carserguev and 2 others like this.
  23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, DTS is lossy, so its size is reduced. You are decoding DTS into a lossless FLAC container, hence the bigger size. But that won't "upgrade" the sound to lossless, just take a lot more space tha necessary.
    Why do you want a FLAC file? You can play DTS on a PC with Foobar for instance.

24. SJB

Is there any evidence that more footage exists? Tull was the opening act and videotape was not cheap in those days; we're probably lucky to have what there is. (By way of comparison, the pre-fame Yes was the opening act for Cream's farewell concert; there was a recording crew and a film crew, and nobody seems to have captured a note or frame of Yes' performance. That's something I'd love to have seen.)

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I haven't been able to forget this ...8 days, and it still cracks me up. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.