Jethro Tull Stand Up Deluxe (11/18/16 release date)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hbbfam, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpd

rpd Senior Member

What's the difference between the new "Elevated Edition" and the 2010 "Collector's Edition"? I want to grab the new booklet style "Elevated", but I already own the "Collector's".... I'm not really a diehard...so can the "Collector's" be dumped?

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Plan9 likes this.
  3. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yes, thank you, I realized it afterwards.

I'm using foobar and I know, that is capable of playing DTS. The problem is, I don't have tools for extraction VOB files into DTS 96/24 (only 48khz core).
    Or did you mean I can play .VOB with foobar right away?

4. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Thx for the tip! Do you need a special plug-in for this? My foobar only sees one long track.

5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

No, you don't need a plug-in. When I drop the MKV file in Foobar, it shows it as several tracks/chapters right away. Weird. When you open the disc in MakeMKV, does it tell you the number of chapters for each title? If it only sees the album as one chapter, then that's all that you get.

6. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Ah, the problem is probably that I extract the flac file from the mkv file Before processing it in foobar and the flac file itself doesn't contain chapter info. I will change my work flow from now on. Thanks!

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Yes, you should drop the MKV file as it comes from MakeMKV directly into Foobar, tag it and just convert it to FLAC (again).

Veovis likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't think so but I haven't tried in a long time. you can extract DTS with DVD-Audio Extractor (free for 30 days) or you can install the VLC player, it will play DTS tracks from DVDs (though I'm not sure it decodes 24/96 DTS besides the core).

makedatmusic likes this.
  9. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

DVD-Audio Extractor trial version already expired on my computer :)
    And yes, I have VLC player and I'm using it to play this wonderful DVDs, but I have feeling, that as you mentioned, VLC only reads DTS core
    (not sure though, but on info panel about codecs in VLC it displays 48kHz on DTS stream).

And this is the reason why i'm converting VOB DTS stream into 96/24 flac file. :)

10. townsend

townsend Senior Member

I recently purchased this from Bullmoose (way better customer experience than Bezos' cartel). I think this album was originally released in 1969, and I have been listened to it off and on since then. It has always been my favorite Tull album.

Disc two is the Live at the Stockholm Konserthuset. I know there are many audiophiles who revel over unreleased live tracks, but I am not one of them. I did enjoy listening to Glen Cornick's different bass solo in "Nothing is Easy."

There is no doubt this reissue features a high quality book, and one that does not fit on my custom made CD rack (unless I "turn it" so that the bottom or top edge displays). It is exactly the same dimensions as Pink Floyd, The Piper At the Gates of Dawn deluxe reissue. That's okay.

The real reason I bought it was for disc one (I don't do surround sound), Steven Wilson stereo remix. And I am very pleased with this. Everything was always buried in the mix, but due to his remixing skills, I could hear with a little more clarity some parts of the songs. Yet the remix is 100% faithful to the original, so it is my "go to" copy. I will probably give away the rest of my Stand Up copies (I may keep the original just because.)

I'll have to check out the third disc next weekend. Relistening to this, I think it confirms that my favorite two songs are A New Day Yesterday, and Nothing is Easy.

Tone_Boss likes this.
  11. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

My avatar has changed...Stand Up arrived home a few days back. As a fan of live music, I started the Elevated Stand Up experience by listening to the Stockholm set.
    I am indeed very glad that IA agreed to include the recording. It is a historical performance, days after Martin joined the band. Yes, it is a substandard quality recording. Yes Martin´s guitar is mostly absent and barely audible during the whole. Yes, Glenn´s bass is waaaay up front and appears to be the driving force of the band musically.
    I don´t care too much for none of this. The audio in this edition is the cleanest I have ever heard, and for its historical significance, it is great. If the tape would have been a rumour for decades and the bootleg hadn´t exist, many fans would have been begging for the tapes to be released, that is for sure.
    The video is also a nice experience cosidering the times. The entire footage will one day see the light, despite the many people who don´t want this kind of gems to be public.
    I will have a go at the stereo and surround remixes soon. :righton:

jsayers, Ed Hughes, dougb222 and 3 others like this.
  12. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I have been listening to this set a lot for the last week or so. I have listened to the different mixes and this set is outstanding. I just listened to the high resolution flat transfer of the original mix and it reminded me of;

Sept. 1979. My Brother Joe and I were hanging around in Oregon, we went to Astoria to pick some mushrooms. We found a nice little cove right on the Pacific Ocean and we were having real good luck picking tons of real nice mushrooms. One morning after a real successful night of picking (and eating) a whole bunch of mushrooms, we were watching the ocean and we started talking about music. The subject quickly came around to Jethro Tull and the album Stand Up. We both felt very strongly about listening to it so we decided to hitch hike to Los Angeles to hear the album on my stereo at my mom and dad's house.

We walked up to the highway and stuck out our thumbs and very quickly began our journey to listen to Stand Up. I had not been home for almost a year and my Brother had not been home for a couple of years, but we had mushrooms running around the inside of our brains and we were intent on listening to Stand Up.

We got down to Los Angeles the next day and surprised my mom and dad. They cooked for us and everything was just wonderful. Then after a real nice dinner that my mom made for us we went into my stereo room which was still set up exactly the way I had left it the previous year before I began my "big trip." The stereo set up was modest, a Dual 1219 turntable, a Phase Linear 4000 pre amp, a Phase Linear 700b power amp and a pair of Bose 901 series 3 loud speakers. I pulled out Stand Up and placed it on the turntable and jammed it at a very high volume. My brother and I still had tons of mushrooms and the whole listening experience was out of this world.

Listening to the flat transfer this morning brought that whole experience to mind. Sure I am much older now, but man this disc sounds so clean and beautiful that I relived that experience vividly.

Not much else for me to say right now. I am all choked up with tears in my eyes (I haven't seen my brother for a few years and both of my parents are now deceased), but I had a really lovely experience this morning listening to Stand Up.

teag, Doug_B, FVDnz and 29 others like this.
  13. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Does anybody know of a way to remove the German "Region 0" sticker without damaging the cover? I always end up doing some damage in the process...

14. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I first heard "Stand Up" in Astoria.

therockman likes this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

As I previously alluded to, next week will be the 47th anniversary of the first time I saw Jethro Tull perform in NYC at the Fillmore East. I saw them many times after that, through the various changes in personnel, but I will never forget that amazing first concert.
    When I saw Martin Barre this summer, I had a few moments to speak with him after the show, and I thanked him for enriching my life. He told a funny story about first meeting the group in a pub in Northern England, and thought that they were "a bit strange". But, soon after, he was in, and Mick Abrahams taught him all the old songs.

If you have a chance to get Martin's album, "Order of Play', you should check it out. He reworks a lot of the old Tull material on it, and his new group does it justice. For me, it reinforces how strong Tull was as an ensemble, not just a backup band for Anderson.

16. yardbuzzard

yardbuzzard Forum Resident

Powerful post. Peace on you & your brother. Amen.

Jimijam, Todd W. and therockman like this.
  17. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'll second this. Actually, pretty much all of Martin's recent output has been phenomenal. The only solo albums I found to be an acquired taste were the first two. The band he's put together for his recent work is top notch and the Tull "covers" are great.

showtaper and wwaldmanfan like this.
  18. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

You could try VM&P Naptha, a solvent available at any paint store, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. Dap it on lightly with a cotton ball until the sticker is saturated, and let it sit for a few minutes. It should soften the adhesive enough to peel it off without damaging the ink on the cover. The stuff stinks to high heaven, so use it outdoors, and wear disposable surgical gloves so you don't get it on your skin. Let the book dry thoroughly before bringing it back into the house. Some people claim that Ronsonol lighter fluid in the yellow and blue cans is the same product, but I don't know for sure.

19. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

DOn't know if it 'll work on this release, but in the past, I have used a blowdryer to heat up the sticker and then peeled it off. Good luck.

j4yheindeo likes this.
  20. Daniel Falaschi

Loved the Bouree and Look into the sun remixes so far. :cool:

FVDnz and tootull like this.
  21. Daniel Falaschi

The full show exists in private hands I was told.

22. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I love everything about this set. Been playing the s**t out of it since I got it 2 weeks ago.:love:

rd1, Runicen and tootull like this.
  23. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Mine peeled right off, no problem, no wetness.

24. Daniel Falaschi

Am I the only one to think that this book is the most fragile of the series? The book spine is already being damaged! :realmad::cry::shake::mad:

25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Tis what the spine does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.